Tire uneven worn??

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello folks,

While preparing my Superformance MKI for the new season I figured out that my front right tire is worn (see pics) - much worse than left side.
During regular tire pressure checks it never caught my attention so I assume this must have happened during the end of last season – or I did not pay enough attention!?

What is your opinion? Normal wear - too many left corners??? or do I have a problem - if yes, what is your suspicion?

Tires are due for change anyway because they are 10 years old now and have 12,000 Km / 7,500 miles.
Tires are Avon CR6ZZ 215/60/15 in the front, 295/50 on the rear.

Thanks in advance for some tipps....

Markus

front right.jpg

Tire wear.png

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello John, Hello Neil,

Thanks for your feedback - just checked for rubbing marks on the car - can't find any.

Those grooves/rubbing marks are not all around the tire and I never recognized any strange noise of anything rubbing??

I took another pic from the front of the tire.......
front right pic front to back.jpg

..... on this side of the tire there is also some of the most outer original groove still there where on back side this groove is gone - the second outer groove is completely gone....

Could it be that the original grooves have been cut unevenly deep???

Howard Jones

Supporter
Look for paint missing on wheel arch or shinny metal on the chassis where it may have rubbed. The front both look like you might want to add some - camber also. The outside of both tires are wearing more than the inside. You should also check toe. Too much toe in could result in the same increased wear on the outside edges of the fronts. The "damage wear" is 90% certain contact with something. You can really tell because it isn't equal all the way around and seams to skip as the tire rotates.

Adding some - camber to the fronts may also add some clearance. Tipping the tires inward at the top usually does. At least a bit. You may be able to add some ride height and clear it also.

Have you ever done tire temps? Nothing tells it like it is like tire temps. The rears look OK as far as camber goes.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Could it be a warped disc causing uneven braking/biting more in one section of the rotation?
Or have you had a big lock up and flat spotter the tyres?

Ian

Back