Today I was saved by my smoke alarm!

Malcolm,
Glad to here you are OK.

Steve,
One question, a lot of the members here have, or are thining of fitting Motorsport style plumbed in systems to their cars. How do these rate in your opinion?

On another question. Where in Wales are you. My in-laws live just north of Caerphilly and I'm down there quite a lot.

Brett

Malcolm

Supporter
The irony has been pointed out by others but the machine was a Hotpoint Aquarius! We have had it a good number of years and it had given great service. I will sending a picture and the serial number to Hotpoint. I think it is obvious where this fire started! Still amazing how much smoke this small amount of material made! I reckon two more days of deep cleaning to go before physical repair to the kitchen worktop is worth contemplating.

Attachments

• IMG_0631a.jpg
    IMG_0631a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 192

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Malcolm,
If it was pre 2007 then GEC Marconi would have been been involved. I worked in one of their divisions for a couple of years. There after it became Indesit (I think)

To answer Brett's questions - firstly, fixed extinguisher installations. I have a D-type replica that has such a system. It's quite old and is filled with BCF (a halogenated hydrocarbon - now banned because it is a greenhouse gas). If the fire is detected fast enough and the system used in the first few seconds, I reckon it would be good. The main attraction is that you don't have to open the bonnet to apply the stuff (so it's quick and you are not allowing a whole load of air to enter). Nowadays I anticipate that a fixed installation will use something like AFFF - which is good but not in the same league as BCF, which is effective in small quantities because of the manner in which it extinguishes fire. The problem is that unless you have automatic detection, the driver starts to see smoke - or is that steam? Wastes a few seconds thinking about it, them decides to open the bonnet and take a look just to see, then realises there's a major fire brewing, panics, then remembers the extinguisher system - but how the hell does that pin come out of the actuator, panic some more, oh gosh, it's too late................... You need to be really well drilled to respond fast enough. So, overall, probably gives a nice feeling of security that will probably not be effective because it probably won't be actuated fast enough. Even with automatic detection things can go wrong. A detector cable works by having two conductors intertwined in the same cable - one is powered and the other earthed. Once a fire starts there is a short circuit between the two that sets off the extinuishers - foolproof? No, only last week I was asked to investigate why such a sysyem failed to work on a large landfill bulldozer that caught fire. I spent two hours figuring out how the system worked, finally followed the detector wiring to find the terminal had come of the vehicle battery....Ho Hum.

To answer you second question, I'm in Presteigne, which no one has ever heard of. It is east of Offa's Dyke, so it's not real Wales, but is over the Powys border, so we get the benefit of cheap Welsh council tax and free prescriptions. Alas, we are putting the house on the market today with a view to move south - back to 'civilisation'.

Cheers

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Good to see you and the family are OK Malc. I saw the recall notice Randy mentioned on the news this morning. Spooky... :shocked2:

Back