Tornado brake problem

An update to my brakes.
I contacted Frank Catt who was very helpful and even suggested I could come down and work on the car with him when he fitted the brakes. My only problem here is wanting to have all the work done in one go was going to be a little more than I had budgeted for even given Franks very reasonable labour rate. I gave the issue some thought and as I currently have no intention of taking this car on the track in the near future I decided I would upgrade the brakes myself with road use in mind.
I ordered the 6 pot Willwood 300mm disc conversion from Rally Design complete with pads and these were a straight forward fit with a little relief of the caliper mounting bracket where it touched the lower wishbone. At the same time I did away with the brake servo and once back on the road will evaluate whether I need to reinstall new items. Frank pointed out that with these brakes fitted I would find the lower wishbone to be too weak and this I will upgrade at a later date as I will not be putting that much strain on it whilst driving on the road.
For the rear I found some new Ford calipers for vented discs at £119 a pair on Ebay and the local motor factor sourced the correct 5 stud vented discs. Unfortunately the discs were drilled too large for the wheel studs so I took these to a local engineering company and had new holes drilled to accept the original studs and this worked a treat. A straightforward conversion but will revisit this at some point if needs be. I also did away with the rear servo as this was also faulty so road tests will show if the setup is adequate.
I hope to get the car out for a drive later and will let you know how it goes.

Trevor.

Back