Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

I've got a lot of panels to do myself!

Simon

Good luck with them, it's not the most fun job in the world. I know people use all sorts of tools to cut the panels but so far I've found a good quality jigsaw and decent blades to work really well. Then it's just a case of using your files to tidy the edges up.

Trev

Top shelf Trevor.

Try to enjoy the fabrication work while it lasts.

I think sometime down the road you will miss it and want to build again.

Best,
S

Top shelf Trevor.

Try to enjoy the fabrication work while it lasts.

I think sometime down the road you will miss it and want to build again.

Best,
S

Cheers Scott

I am really enjoying the whole process and find it fairly relaxing (at the moment). I don't know about missing the build process as I am already thinking of what my next project could be :)

Trev

Trev,
You may have a steadier hand than I with the jig saw, but I found that I got a really nice straight cut using a stanley knife. I scored along the cut line a few times with a sharp stanley knife (along a large steel ruler) and then holding the sheet clamped between some angle iron right at the cut lines, and then gently pushing the sheet from side to side it breaks clean at the cut. A simple file and then clean with wire wool, I got a really good straight edge. Of course, everyone has their own techniques, but this seemed to work for me. My first few attempts with the jig saw went a bit pear shaped!!
Ian

Porsche 917, with 2 flat 6 911 turbo engines. You know you want to!

You read my mind. I was just looking on at some 917 replicas as I read your message. I'd love a 917, after the GT40 they are my favourite circuit race car.

Also considering a Hawk Stratos Grp4 replica, Cobra Daytona Coupe, AC cobra or possibly another GT40 but better see how this one goes first :)

From what I've read though the GT40 is a pretty complex car to build so hopefully it should stand me in good stead to build something like a 917.

Hi all

Not been feeling great today as I have an ear infection but still managed to get some work done on the car. The rear bulkhead is back from the fabricators and they did an awesome job on the folds. I've now cut the outside of the rear bulkhead, marked it all and made a good start on drilling it into place. If I feel a bit better tomorrow should be able to get all the drilling done.

build-may15.jpg

More progress today. Drilled the rear bulkhead into place after a bit more trimming here and there. Took longer than I expected although my new drill bits worked a treat.

build-may17.jpg

build-may18.jpg

Trev

Been ill over the past few days so progress on the car has slowed down. I've been back on it tonight though and managed to cut, mark and trim the first drivers side compartment panel.

build-may20.jpg

I've also got another 120 cleco's in the car so the car looks like its receiving acupuncture at the moment.

My next job is to cut the drivers side compartment panel. The problem with this panel is that I need to cut a hole for a protruding mounting point. Don't know if I should cut the hole in the panel tight to the mounting point or possibly cut the hole larger to clear the weld underneath.

If I cut the hole tight the panel has to bend to make contact with the chassis rail otherwise if I cut a larger hole to clear the weld the panel sits flush but there will be gaps around the hole and the mounting point

One idea is to cut the hole bigger than it needs to be to get the panel flush and then add a rubber washer over the top to cover and gaps and then cover with sealant.

build-may21.jpg

build-may22.jpg

build-may23.jpg

build-may24.jpg

Your thoughts please

Trev

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

Cut the hole over size so that the panel sits on the chassis rails and then apply a bead of sealant around the mounting post.

Thanks

Andy

Trevor,
I second that and would add, Make a template of that part of the panel and its placement of the hole and transfer it to the panel for exact placement and size. If you use a combination, stepped hole cutter, the hole will fit tightly and look the better for it.

Bill

Thanks guys

I already have a full size cardboard template for the panel but wanted to wait to find out the best way of cutting the hole before transferring to my template.

Will let you know how I get on

Trev

Car looks great. Thanks for posting the details and pics so often. I'm enjoying your build. How much time every week are you working on the car? Seems like you are moving along very well.

Car looks great. Thanks for posting the details and pics so often. I'm enjoying your build. How much time every week are you working on the car? Seems like you are moving along very well.

Probably not spending as much time as I should at the moment. On average I spend a couple of hours every night on the car and then try and do a full day on the car at the weekend. Today's my car day so I'd better get cracking, going to try and do some cutting on the rear bulkhead, drivers side compartment panel and maybe some of the wheel arch done today.

Back