Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Beautiful work Trev. You're going at light speed!

I wish :), really not spending as much time as I should on the car but slowly getting there. I can't wait to have the panel work finished, that will seem like a big milestone in the build for me

Trevor

I'm lagging a bit on the SL-C too. Making tangential additions & changes (cosmetic stuff). Not re-inventing, but having fun!

Got the last panels for the wheel arches. Now they just need trimming and drilling into place.

build-july17.jpg

build-july18.jpg

Trev

Looking good Trev.I've been away with my 1912 Stanley Steamer on a week long tour on the coast of Maine,43 cars on the tour.It is now time to get working on the GT again.
Bill

Thanks Bill, it's definitely coming along. I spent yesterday doing some trimming and fitting with a friend of mine and we realised that 2 of the panels need another fold put in so I'll have to send them off again but getting very close now to fitting the arches.

I was hoping you'd slow down a little on your build so I could catch up a bit as you seem to be flying along :). Also Scott told me that your panels looked very nice powder coated so I am going to do the same with mine.

Trev

Nice work Trev, I miss working on my car daily. Enjoy the process because someday it will be over! Once again, great job
Steve

Hi all, I am back

I've had a few issues with 2 of the panels not touching the chassis rails so had to get the fabricators to put more fold in them to get a better fitment. Now all the panels are sitting really well and I've been busy doing the final marking and trimming in preparation for fitment this weekend.

Here is how the arches are looking:

build-august1.jpg

build-august2.jpg

Trev

Bit more progress on the car. Started drilling the first wheel arch in and so far so good. The panels fit really nicely and shouldn't require too much trimming once they are finished.

build-august3.jpg

I also picked up the fuel tanks from Andy at Tornado yesterday along with my pedal assembly and battery box.

Trev

Nice work Trevor. I've started work again with e-brake and central tunnel panels cut drilled and ready to fit. I found a nice insulation to fit on the inside of the tunnel panels ,alu' faced with sticky back. I want to keep as much heat from the coolant pipes out of the interior of the car. Next will be the brake and clutch lines. Lets get these things done so we can drive the piss out of them!
Bill

Hi all, a bit more progress to report.

The passenger side wheel arch is now nearly finished. Took a good few more hours to trim and get everything spot on but I am really happy with the fitment of the panels so far and I am now well on the way with the drivers side.

build-august12.jpg

Also I've had the two access sections cut out in the front panels and the lids made all with rounded corners. I took the panels to Wayne Allman of Intergalactic Custom Shop to do the work following a recommendation from Mark Pickford. I'd not dealt with Wayne before but can thoroughly recommend his work. Great guy and his work is stunning. He certainly did a much better job than I could have done, what do you think?

build-august14.jpg

Hi all, time for another mini progress report.

I've now got most of the passenger wheel arch fitted and the pedal assembly hole has been cut out and the pedals are nearly in. Just need a little trimming to get the fit 100%.

build-august16.jpg

build-august20.jpg

build-august21.jpg

Trev

Another busy weekend on the car and things seem to be coming along nicely.

Firstly I sent off the rear bulkhead, driver & passenger side panels and another panel at the front of the car to have holes cut for cooling pipes, gear linkage etc to the fabricators.

I've also made a card template for where my battery box is going to sit.
build-september10.jpg

Finally I've managed to get some more panel work done on the passenger side wheel arch. My friend Dave came round and together we managed to get Dash frame front panel fitted and drilled. It was a tricky and time consuming job but I am really happy with the arch and the fitment.
build-september11.jpg

Trev

Got a new toy today so finally managed to drill a few holes and fit some clecos for the side of the wheel arches where the space was too tight for a drill to fit into.

build-september13.jpg

build-september14.jpg

Trying to keep the build moving as the leaves on the floor outside the garage indicate the warm weather is not going to last much longer :(

build-september15.jpg

Trev

And I thought that I was lacking enough space! Well done Trev.

Yeah tell me about it. Luckily we are moving at the end of the month (fingers crossed) as we've just bought a new house. It's got a nice big double garage which will be great, oh and the rest of the house is ok too ;)

Back