track day tires

I am running Avon cr6zz on my CAV. 275/55/15 rears and 225/60/15 fronts. After having done a few track days very little tread is remaining and I do not really want to spend another £900 on a new set. I think part of the problem is that the rubber compound is too soft giving rise to very good dry drip at the expense of fast wear. Also the tyres go off very quickly after a few fast laps especially in warm weather.

I am looking for an alternative for my 15" wheels. Not many manufacturers out there producing 275+ wide track day tyres for 15" wheels. I was looking at Toyo R888 track day tires, reasonable prices but not ideal widths for GT40s. The best toyo combination is 205/60/15 fronts and 235/50/15 rears. Would these widths be any good for track days,my GT40 is putting out 400hp via a Ford 302 and Renault transaxle with Quaiff LSD.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Try these as an option for the track:

Hoosier TD 225/50/15 front and 26.5X9.5-15 for the rears.

Mark

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have Kumho tyres on but a bit narrower on the rear
255-60-15 V rated

Similar to you on front

Cost £300 for the set

Look on Black Circles on the net

Ian

Glenn M

Supporter
I run the Avons and have recently clocked up 5000 miles on them. They have worn very little and very evenly. These miles include many track days. I have never experienced them going off, just gripping very well. Just a thought but have you checked your suspension settings?

Back