Transaxle Oil Cooler

In an effort to moderate the sudden outflow of money now that this project is picking up serious speed, we're once again revisiting the "needs" vs "nice to haves". The oil cooler that Gbox includes in their package isn't cheap, and I'm wondering if folks think its necessary in an SLC that will live on the street and maybe see 1-2 track days a year.

Cheers,

Ruth

I would ask gbox .... my understanding is that some of the porsche transaxles need a cooler, regardless of use, to live a long life. You can also make your own setup -like $200 for the cooler and maybe another $150 in fittings and hoses.

I talked to Eric at GBox about this very topic. I have G96/96 which has an internal mechanical pump, but it's plumbed directly back into the box without going via a cooler. The OEM side-mounted cooler apparently doesn't do much since it runs of the engine coolant system.

He basically said not to bother with an external cooler for now. If it's an issue, just plumb in a Setrab 19" cooler which is about $200 with maybe another $100 in fittings and hose. I'm leaving some space behind the driver side side scoop to mount on in the future if need be. This also works with my goal of trying to keep the up-front cost and complexity down to get the car on the road.

My car is also mainly a street car with a couple track days potentially.

Back