Troy's Ralt RT23

Ok, so I have a new engine on it's way for the Ralt, and I'm on the hunt for an ECU that'll run it. It's a small capacity, high revving V8 running coil-on-plug ignition. Oh yeah, and it has a flat-plane crank.

I know the Motec M800 will run it, but am also looking at others like the Magneti Marelli SRA-E ecu, and others.

Looking for something that won't limit me to using 'their' dash products through connectivity (Haltech, for example), as I want the option to run what I want up front.

Suggestions?

Mmmm i smell a Synergy, nice, Autronc SM4 will run it thats what i have on the LS in the 5000 with coil on plug.

kaspa

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
I am using the 'links g4+' on my 2 jz. Use to be the old Vi-pec. Suppose to be up there quality wise.

Thanks for all the tips. So basically, I've narrowed it down to 4 or 5 units based on my requirements, price (not sure why Motec is still there then)and local support. I'm down to Motec, Microtec, Autronic, EMS, and Magneti Marelli.

Can't rule out the Haltech just yet either. Still researching, and still waiting to hear back from Bosch...

It needs to be able to read the 60-2 crank sensor too.

Will update when some cash gets laid out!

Hi Troy,

I had an EMS 8860 on my old Daytona. Great piece of kit for the price. Very user friendly, really easy to setup and get the car running and tuned. It also has an auto-tuning feature which was very helpful. (less so for your race car I would expect though.....)

It had way more features than I needed but would certainly recommend it. I would have used the 8860's baby brother on my Ralt but I inherited a different ECU so used that instead.

The new engine is home, and now the real fun starts. I still want to reinstall the V6 in the Ralt to ensure all systems not related to the power unit are fully operational.

I like the engineering behind this V8, it's such a shame to pull that intake manifold off. It features dual length runners, with ITB's inside each plenum that open at a pre-determined RPM to significantly reduce the runner length for top end breathing.

Attachments

• 20150929_080850 (1024x576).jpg
    20150929_080850 (1024x576).jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 20150929_080929 (576x1024).jpg
    20150929_080929 (576x1024).jpg
    217 KB · Views: 345
I used a Microtec in my 40 and It works fine but some characteristics of it really annoy me so strike that one off your list...

Keith

So, what happened to the Synergy John was sniffing? :p:

PS Nice motor and a trifle unusual in a single seater, but why not? It'll sound like an F1...:thumbsup:

Haha, I never said I was getting one of those. There is a synergy between the logo on the rear wing, and the new engine, just not an actual Synergy V8.

Should be able to get this engine to sing pretty loud though, as it'll run straight pipes from the headers to the diffuser with minimal restriction. No need for cross-over pipes to get that Flat Plane crank sound!

On the ECU front, I almost got talked into a Motec, but have pretty-much decided on the EMS 8860 based on my (and others) experiences with it.

Attachments

• 111i (800x600).jpg
    111i (800x600).jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 313
Nice one Troy. I like the 3.8, they go well and are bullet proof and in that light kart would fly, however, that F motor is icing on the cake!
Cheers, Gus.

They are old school tech though Gus, with a redline not much better than 6 grand. In full Formula Holden trim, they were notorious for breaking cranks, and in fact my car has a sump that looks suspiciously like part of the rotating assembly exiting through the south end of the motor at some point!

As for the F motor, I'm down in Melbourne with the guys at Maranello Motorsport playing part-guys with some amazing toys. I only have good things to say about them there - very professional and yet nice guys too. Turns out that the Ferrari 458 has the same flywheel bolt pattern, and that the race version of that car (458 GT3 - pictured) has a flywheel similar in size to the Ralt, has the same 60-2 crank trigger as a stock Ferrari 360, and the same mounting PCD for the clutch so I can still use my AP Racing 5.5" clutch. The ring gear mounts to the back end of the clutch basket.

The flywheel measures just 180mm across.

Next on the list is an adapter plate and starter mount to make all this work (I got the hard part done Flatchat!)

Attachments

• MCIMG_1913705_578_384_jpg.jpg
    MCIMG_1913705_578_384_jpg.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20151015_203858 (1024x576).jpg
    20151015_203858 (1024x576).jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 264
I'm piecing together an 8 stack set up for the F motor with these 48mm diameter Jenvey TB's and cast runners. I want to plumb in a balance pipe between each inlet runner for each bank, but want some advice on the size that it should be.

Suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• F Intake.jpg
    F Intake.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 263
Hey Troy,
Any update on this project? Just so happens I have the same engine taking up space in the garage and I continue to eyeball Ralts of this type. Now... why the heck would I be interested in your work :) ?

Annoying that I've been in Melbourne twice since you've started this and never thought of looking you up. Ugh....

I still have the Ralt, but have re-assigned that engine to my GT40 build. I'm using a sequential 6spd in the 40, but have the original Ferrari 360 trans as a back up if it proves troublesome. I've been making some good progress on this 40 build, so will get cracking on my build log on here.

Once I have the 40 running and tuned, I will most likely get another 360 V8 for the Ralt, and use the same ECU / program for that car, since all of the hard work will be done.

The other option is to slot in a Cosworth DFR, as my Ralt originally ran a DFV, so should be an easy install.

Let me know if you ever get back here, I'm happy to show you around!

A Ferrari in a Ford GT40..... Now THAT will have people on both sides of the pond rolling over in their graves!

I'll be very interested in following the ECU work that you'll be doing. Will be looking for the build thread.

Thanks.

Back