Ultima Un build log !

Thanks Dean,
I have been looking at the SLC it's a superb car especially if it's in a race trim.
I keep saying to myself I won't build another car this is the sixth and last.
But then you see something like the SLC and you think ..Maybe , and that's dangerous thinking.
Was in Daytona this Feb for the 500 and you think while I'm there I'll have a look at the SLC forgetting how big the country is.
Love to see some pictures of the SLC especially build stages if you have them

Cheers

The windscreen in a Can Am is fitted into a frame that bolts through the centre body.
Removing a screen that's bonded in is a mighty task and one that I did not achieve.
On trying I cracked the screen so had to dump it, an extra £450 bill just like that !
Good news is that Ultima keep them in stock and I will have the new one tommorrow as I will also have the front section of roll bar and the other parts.
So I can get stuck in this weekend and make some progress.
Fitted some catches and rewired the lights and not much else.

More good news my SGT40 IVA date is any day and the car is ready for it. Yippee !!!

Ordered the new carbon wing mirrors , there not from Ultima but retro fit and are electric they also use the same wiring and switch control.
The Shark Gill vents are for the front wings and again are made to measure for the Ultima.
Quality carbon fibre.
Also ordered Canard wings in Carbon ( some call them dive plane wings ) no pics yet

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 296

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

Great work, where did you source the mirrors and the fender (wing) louvers?

Thanks,
Julian

Very nice. Curious, on the can am, it had a roll bar cover originally. Is this a one-off or in production? It does a great job of covering the eyesore rollbar and making everything more stream line looking. I'm surprised that yours is the only one that I have ever seen it on.

Hi Josh,
The roll bar cover was a one off and purpose made by a metal fabricator in ally who makes complete classic aston martin bodies in ally, a real craftsman.
The intension was as you say smarten up the roll bar and look a bit more lemans prototype ish.
It was a shame it had to go but go it did.
I welded the new front section roll bar in today... pictures to follow.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Keith. It should be a factory part in my opinion. I'm looking forward to watching this build....love the ultima, but hate piston head's old forum format.

Front roll bar is now welded in and painted satin black 2k to match the existing section.
Had to mark the area where the roll cage was going to be then using a 60mm hole cutter cut the ally panelling out leaving a 10mm gap around the roll bar and chassis for a good weld. Un rivetted the ally, gently eased it out of the way, cleaned and tack welded all in position then refitted the body section to check clearances after careful removal of the powder coat it welded a treat with good penetration on all joints.
Body was now fitted, bolted and rivetted.
The gap where the Can am section was cut out was now refixed and sealed.
I made an ally panel that sits nicely above the original ally panel.
Inside I made two ally panels of the same contour as the body and these were fixed and then sikaflex sealed.
Once covered it will look good.

Attachments

• web 0175.jpg
    web 0175.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 281
  • web 0176.jpg
    web 0176.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 311
  • web 0183.jpg
    web 0183.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 286
  • web 0201.jpg
    web 0201.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Panelling inside cabin and the engine bay

Attachments

• web 0209.jpg
    web 0209.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 230
  • web 0234.jpg
    web 0234.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 268
Will have to make good around the rear roll bar cut outs where it goes through the fibreglass. For some reason the holes where a bit out and need elongating.
Not a big deal though.

Refitted the washer bottle, brake resevoir etc etc. This time used Rivnuts.
Just started to rivet the front body and the rivet gun broke...

Trial fitted all the gauges and switches, good job I did as I forgot to cut a hole for the indicator switch.
Fitted the lockable fuel fillers / caps and body lock cables.
Got a lot done today

Attachments

• web 0220.jpg
    web 0220.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 265
  • web 0225.jpg
    web 0225.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Had the dashboard covered with Carbon wrap today.
Getting the 3D curves is always going to be hard but they did it well.
The gauges are just pushed in for the photo but it shows the overall effect.
Picture don't do it justice but I like it and it's simple.. Like Me !
I will align those doors at the weekend and should have the screen bonding kit soon so that can go in.
Carbon steering wheel weighs the same as a feather, just need to get the correct fixing bolts.
All the gauges on the dashboard are digital there's the brake bias, oil temp and pressure, water temp and volts. Speedhut GPS speedo and tacho.

Attachments

• web 0253.jpg
    web 0253.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 285
  • web 0263.jpg
    web 0263.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 245
  • web 0265.jpg
    web 0265.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 270
Yep It's a Reverie wheel, I got it some time ago for use in my 40 but decided not to use it, it will go on the Ultima though.
Originally I wanted to use 3M carbon wrap but it is thicker and not so pliable around the 3 dimensional areas, It was pulling away from the dash.
The one we used was Hexis, slightly thinner and the weave is slightly narrower but it seems to stick better.
No problems that you can see, fingers crossed !
I may well have the whole car wrapped, working on a racey scheme at the moment.

Dashboard is finished now just got to straighten and tighten the gauges and the doors are all but finished.
The drivers door was not that easy to get right and it still needs a bit more fettling.
It's a bit to high at the top front, not sure how to overcome it but I will in due course.
Speaking to Ultima the drivers door always need extra effort.
The locks are fitted and had to cut the outside door opening buttons in, fiddly job.
The doors, front and rear canopies will need to be near perfect before the screen is bonded in.
Just laid the front canopy on and it lines up perfect and the gaps are good.
The last picture is where the GPS receiver for the speedo is being mounted.
It says in the manual as near to the satalite as possible !!

Attachments

• web 0157.jpg
    web 0157.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 272
  • web 0155.jpg
    web 0155.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 269
  • web 0164.jpg
    web 0164.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 261
  • web 0168.jpg
    web 0168.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 299
  • web gps.jpg
    web gps.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 275
Door buttons are neat and although a bit of effort to get your hands behind to put the securing plate on they went on well.
The buttons are lockable with keys as are the fuel caps next to them.

Attachments

• web0158.jpg
    web0158.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 224
Hi Rene, That's probably what will happen as when the roof is pushed up it can be blocked then when the screen is bonded in it will probably stay there.
Got to watch though that the screen is not stressed.

I don't think you can bend that door a little? if it was steel then maybe a bit, but in GRP not much will help I guess...heating it or so won't help.
holding it under stress is not fine eighter.
are those doors full GRP or is their some steel "frame" bounded in...

Back