Ultima Un build log !

These are the same Vents, the finished job should look similar to this but the Carbon will show

Attachments

• Nice GTR (4).jpg
    Nice GTR (4).jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I wonder how you gonna do that, the good thing is its before painting the whole car :)
maybe it can be done with such power-file... electric or air, something like this?

powerfile-pneu.jpg

looks handy for some jobs, but I guess you need a steady hand.

I decided to repair that damaged door and centre section, so thought that drilling holes and pumping in filler would be best.
The door was the worst which had a large crack through it, the roof only a small crack.
Well too cut a long story short that did not work and I resulted in cutting out a panel, making a good bonding surface and inserting fibreglass matting in the area between the two panels.
The end result was a solid repair but will need finishing later before paint.
I also trial fitted the canard wings, dive planes call them what you will.

Attachments

• web 0247.jpg
    web 0247.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 261
  • web 0259.jpg
    web 0259.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 227
  • web 0263.jpg
    web 0263.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 261
  • web 0265.jpg
    web 0265.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 240
Cut the holes in the front wings for the new vents and found that the original ones were actually not in line equally they were out by about 25mm.
I always thought they were not good enough and the plan was to replace them when something more suitable came along.
holes cut and both are in the same position but one not quite covers the cut out.
Nevertheless I will make good and the paint shop will provide the finishing touches.
Once the car is painted the Carbon vents will be fixed in.
Front section needs alignment but it's not far off.
Might trial fit the Carbon mirrors tommorow !

Attachments

• feb 0267.jpg
    feb 0267.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 268
  • web 0273.jpg
    web 0273.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 268
  • web 0279.jpg
    web 0279.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 235
Started fitting of the wing mirrors today, a bit fiddly as you have basis measurements of where they go for best vision and then you have to drill the first larger hole that is the main fixing of which the inner hole carries the wiring for the electrics.
The passenger side mirror sits about 40mm from the front of the centre section whereas the drivers side is 150mm , so both mirrors are not in line with each other.
The passenger mirror is viewed through the windscreen but the drivers side is viewed through the door window.
Seems to have excellent vision.

Attachments

• web 0289.jpg
    web 0289.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 228
  • web 0281.jpg
    web 0281.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 216
Once the mirrors are trial fitted, they can be checked for vision, at that point you can with the glass temporary stuck in swivel the Carbon section until the best rear view is achieved.
Mark the mirror and removal everything.
Drill the second fixing on the car and in the mirror upstand tap the holes M5 and strip the lot and send away for powder coating the upstands in Matt black.

Attachments

• web 0284.jpg
    web 0284.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 259
  • web 0299.jpg
    web 0299.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 264
  • web 0296.jpg
    web 0296.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 278
  • web 0302.jpg
    web 0302.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 252
again a lot of work have bin done, you are making good progress.

those mirrors look good too, but also wide/outside the carros...

why did you not go for say the original sort of Ultima mirrors?

also great pictures.

The work on the car is now completed, all but fitting the side perspex windows
" after being painted of course".
The electric Mirrors just to bolt on.
The front wing area at the front shark gill vents needs shaping in and I will leave some of the shut lines to the bodyshop as I'm not sure how much paint will be put on.
The bodies of Ultimas are to a high standard so not as much work as some cars.
I have fitted and wired in the GPS Speedo and tested all the electrics.
The tacho is not working but I think it needs switching on at the ECU with the laptop.
The engine runs sweet.. well, as sweet as 640 H.P can run
All in all not a bad job to do.

Attachments

• web 0412.jpg
    web 0412.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 0072 web.jpg
    0072 web.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Back