Ultimate Cylinder Head - Magazine Article

Hi all,

This is my first posing as a forum member, although I have been viewing posts for quite a while. As a fellow builder of a GT40 viewing this forum has almost become an addiction.
Recently I visited the US and purchased the August issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. In this edition there was an article on Finding the Ultimate Cylinder Head.
The article was quite informative and split the analysis of 24 possible heads into 3 groups. The problem I have is that this analysis is split across 3 issues. The August issue published information on the first group only, the subsequent 2 groups are published in the next 2 issues.
The problem I have is I cannot find a newsagent in the UK which stocks this magazine. I would like to get the next 2 issues without having to wait for the 6-8 week subscription delivery.
Has anyone a local newsagent in the UK which stocks Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords which I could get in contact with to get the next two issues?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Ron, I'd be happy to help out. Really, for ease of everything, I would think it wouldn't be a big deal to just buy a couple of each of the issues and mail them across the 'pond'. If any of you guys want, let me know and I'd be happy to buy them and then send the bill along.

That is if anyone wants the actual magazine itself.

Just let me know.

Ron Earp

Admin
We cannot scan and post on this site, that would be infringement.

As for the guide summary it can be done in one word "AFR"...

Although I've not seen the next two articles I would imagine that is the outcome.

R

[ QUOTE ]
As for the guide summary it can be done in one word "AFR"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Although on the surface it would seem AFR might be the choice, there are other factors to consider.

The magazine went to great length to compare apples to apples. Very commendable. The only factor they really couldn't control was compression ratio. To their credit, they went into detail about it. I took a high performance small block Ford in Engine Analyzer Pro (a high end engine analyzer) and ran performance differences based on compression ratios. This worked out to approximatedly 5 HP per .25 difference in compression ratio.

Plus there are other factors for choosing different heads. Many builders choose one head over another for a variety of reasons. Quality being one of them.

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with you, AFR won't do it for all circumstances. But, generally they do well in these head shootouts, that is for sure. I've had great luck porting some of the World products heads, they've done well for me even though some of the components need to be replaced (as is with AFR in some cases). Currently I'm using some CNC ported AFR heads but I'll probably be giving up a little top end to other ported heads like V Jrs. etc.

Ron

The first group was very interesting. Great HP with such mild specs. I can't wait to see the next two groups. The last (most HP) group is what I am really interested in.

The nice thing about this article is that you can see different cams and heads together and decide where you want to be with your motor.

My Cobra has what is basically a NASCAR engine. They said they weren't going to test heads at that end of the scale. I can see why after reviewing some of the costs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But I am doing two other smallblocks that will certainly have a pair of the heads in the test. The price/performance that is available from a small block is unreal.

I'd be curious to see how the 185's compare to the 165's they tested. On the 185 the intake gets bumped to 2.02; in the article they note the AFR 165 has the highest compression ratio, so anyone want to take a guess?

I just picked up the magazine and have not read the whole article. I hope that at they do larger heads that at some point they also test them on a larger displacement motor. I can not imagine AFR 225's on a 302. You would have to turn something like 8000 RPM to reach peak power.

Did the previous month include more then the flow figures they quoted this month? I missed that article. If someone has a scan of it please send it to me.

Thanks

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm using some 185s that have been milled a bit for a little compression and run through a CNC port program to clean them up a very slight amount. AFRs are already CNC'd out of the box but there is a little bit that can be done to the bowl area and the exhaust port floor, but it doesn't amount to anything.

The 200 series would be some serious head on a 302 or a 342, either way. But, if it was a high RPM piece it might be the ticket.

R

Back