UN1 Output shaft on GTD

I had a problem during race track yesterday.

My right hand shaft connection with gearbox UN1 13 is completely turning lose at gearbox level.
I have a GTD with UN1 13 Turbo gearbox and would like to know what Part numbers I need to order (Renault;Ford and part number ?)

Herewith a pic what s wrong

Would appreciate forum members feedback.
Thank you in advance

Fred

IMG_4036.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG

Howard Jones

Supporter
You are going to have to take things apart and find out what's broke. Start with the side you think is turning free. Remove the driveshaft from that side and then pull back the boots and have a look. Let us know what you find (post pics) and we will go from there.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My guess...... CV joint
Either circlip on end of driveshaft come off and pulled out of splines in center carrier, or somehow managed to shed the balls out of the CV!
Ian

Many thanks to all.
It is most likely the CV joint that is broken.
Are they easy to find on market ?
Looks like Ford Granada CV joint (10mm bolt).

GHrtz
Fred

If its the Granada 100mm CV, Ill have those for sale as I don't use them. Bought them in error for a Capri driveshaft.
I Have them listed on facebook marketplace.
€110 for both (2 cv joints).
I am at Spa Classic now for the weekend and can't help you till monday as I don't have them with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_132444.jpg
    IMG_20190512_132444.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 382
Hi JP

i am racing at Spa this we also
60 Endurance with Lotus XI N 60
i will take your CV joint.

tel me if you want 32 475 838888

grtz
Fred

Manythanks to all of you for appreciated support

It ended up being the drive shaft broken (see pic)

Many thanks to JP and Frank Catt for supplying pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 411

Howard Jones

Supporter
There you go, that's what I thought. Mine did the same thing. I had new ones made by the Driveshaft Shop. They are here on the east coast of the US.

If you can get replacement shafts then you will more than likely be able to reuse the CV joints. Use the good side as an example and go from there.

Stress fracture from the circlip groove - you're better having the groove on the outside of the CV joint if you have space to do it - then there's no square edged groove right in the most loaded area.

I remember the gear shift lever on my 79 Ford Fiesta snapping off at the base right at the edge of the circlip groove. I was working at an aerospace company at the time and remember one of the mechanical engineers saying he never understood why a big company like Ford would design parts with a 'stress raiser' like that in a high stress area.

It's pretty common, most of the time the parts are so oversized it doesn't matter, but when you start pushing things harder they become a huge issue.
My axles have the circlip grooves on the outside and then the CV stars are counterbored to fit over them - so even if you're tight on space it's an option:

Attachments

• BoredCVStarDriveshaftCoated.jpg
    BoredCVStarDriveshaftCoated.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 334
Back