UN1 Whinny sound

I recently upgraded my UN1-26 to a stronger shaft (GTO kit). The kit came with 1st and 2nd gear and a shoulder bearing.
I noticed a whinny sound at the first gear and little in 2nd gear (but not severe whinning noise). Like a racecar whinny sound.

Could this be because of a the 1st gear straight cut?

I also installed a quaife atb, I thought those quaife is a dropdown installation to my car without lash adjustment.
I'm not pointing fingers on the quaife....but who knows.
Any feedback...much appreciated

Thanks

Hi there -

Spot on re the straight cut gearing (1st and reverse) - We also use the once piece shaft conversion from Quaife (Derek Bell Variant)and yes, it does whine a bit in 1st for that reason. Does have longer legs in both 1st and 2nd too which is of benefit.

If you had the 6-speed straight cut conversion it would whine in all 6.

Re the ATB - Yes, drop-in fitment BUT you should still check mesh/lash on first fitment. ATB diff is the best single enhancement available to the drivetrain on UN1 IMHO.... Car rear end becomes a lot more predictable when pushing on hard through and out of corners. Was worth 10ths per corner easily, possibly more.

Have Fun!:thumbsup:

Thanks Paul....I appreciate your tech. By the way, its a UN1 27 not 26.
Yes! quaife really shine when in wot. The car is now controllable. Yes its one piece shaft too from GTO engineering. I really don't know which is better (GTO or Bell).
Any idea the difference between the two? Is my GTO kit bootleg?

No problem..

There has been a lot discussed about the conversions before on the forum, a search should find most and Derek Bell has moved the Un1 aspect of his normal website to a site of it's own - here: UN1 Index page

Kevin Jones (GTO Eng) 6-speed conversion was designed by an F1 engineer that works for him so is definately unique. There were a couple of uprated, one-piece conversions available, both basically the same. I believe that Derek's came first and was designed by him and as to the other's origins I do not know, so would not be able to comment with authority. (therefore I won't) However - I'm sure whichever you have it'll serve you well :thumbsup:

Have fun! (do keep an eye on transmission temps though)

Paul---Kevin emailed me and confirmed the whinny sound came from
the straight cut 1st gear.

Kevin a real nice person to deal with.
If anyone has plan of doing a UN1 upgrade, Kevin is the guy to talk to.

Thanks Paul

I bought the quaife to kevin too and really cheap price. He is the main quaife
authorized dealer.

I can't tell you the price but mention my name "Jaime with a Lotus V8 who bought UN1 kit + ATB quaife" and hoping to give you the same price.

Back