velocity stack filters

Anyone out there know of any good velocity stack (weber type) air filters. I like the look of the screens but don't know if they will do a good enough job. The socks on the other hand just don't do the pretty little stacks any favors. Has anyone come up or found a good source to keep dirt out?
Thanks,
John

I have the weber style on my manifold and also have indivdual K&N for it also. Here's a picture of the screens.
alengine3.JPG

Ron,
Those are avialble from englese'.
I ordered a set from them at $120.
They do not fit well on the horns with the 3/8th" flange. If you will notice in the photograph posted by Wayne the the little pimples around the edge are the screens trying to protude through the rubber grommet. Already two of mine have split. These type filters are minimal protection at best. They will not stop dirt from entering the manifold.
Presently I am in search of a good air cleaner that does a better job and looks good too. I will post as soon as I find a suitable system.

Hersh
smile.gif

Jim,
I agree 100% but the k&Ns hit the
glass on the rear throttle bodies. They need to be about an inch lower to clear.
Perhaps this is just on the RF cars, I'm not sure...

Hersh
smile.gif

Well, Dave Wharran used ITG filters
made especially for TWM. They looked great.
TWM doesn't list them anymore, so
you'd probably have to contact ITG to
see if they can still make them. THey
also have smaller ones for inline 4s. Two
of those side by side would look pretty neat
too.

Ian

Here's a couple of pictures of my system before it went on the engine. I used 50mm tall stacks, the shortest TWM offered. The ITG filter just clears them. It will clear 75 mm on the inside and is 100 mm tall overall.

8784317-8966-02000181-.jpg

8447325-4c81-02000181-.jpg

If I remember correctly, my engine (351C) measured about 20" tall from the oil pan rail to the top of the filter. The oil pan on an ERA car is about 7 1/2 deep. Bob Putnam said the filter should clear...in his words "just". The engine is at ERA right now so it can be test fit in the chassis, so I can't get any measurements from it.

TWM is not selling ITG filters any longer. Since ITG was making this filter exclusively for them, you'd probably need to contact ITG to inquire about a new distributor. I spoke via email with Stuart Fedden at ITG before I ordered mine. His email is [email protected]

Dave

Thanks everyone.
Wayne, I like the look of the screens that you and Hershal are using. Besides the willingness to tear living in the land of dust storms I don't feel real confident with the foam inserts. They look like a thin prefilter to me. Have you seen any better elements for them or should I just be glad no tumble weeds will fit down the stacks.
Please let me know if there is something out there I'm missing. I'll keep looking too.
John

Hmmm... I reckon you could cut some circles out of whatever kind of paper is used for normal filters and sandwich them beneath the foam. Has anybody tried this?

I think I may have found the answer I've been looking for. I work in he screen printing industry. We use very fine mesh avaliable in a verity for mesh counts and thread diameter. Most don't realize it but the mesh manufactures really make it for filtration. With that being said you can get mesh in extremely fine counts 305 threads/sq in and higher. I have 255 with thread thinner than the hair on your head. You could hold it to your mouth and it doesn't restrict breathing at all.It may be too fine and actually collect dust that is "ok" to go into the engine. I will get some thread count and air flow charts and let you all know what they are. These meshs are avaluable in stainless steel and polyester both of which will hold up to very high temps and flow well.
If anyone is intrested and will let me know how it works I will send some mesh to you. It's not expensive.
John
smile.gif

I wondered about installing custom made filters in each side inlet of the body. Then sealing the stacks with a turkey pan such that when the rear deck is down all of the air must come through the two side inlets.

I measured the side inlets when I first thought of doing that and the problem I ran into is not enough surface area to feed the motor, even using K&N elements. A 342 at 6500RPM needs 101 SI of K&N filter element or 51SI per side (7"x8")and then you have to add .75" to the height and width due to the lack of flow at the edge of the filter next to the rubber seal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> ...101 SI of K&N filter element... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that answers my question too. 101 sq in = 12.625 sq in/cyl = pi*r^2 => you'd need the stacks to be 4 inches wide at the top to use this (and presumably even wider with more restrictive filter element material)...

G

Wayne, do the filters have to conform to the cross section of the side inlets?? They could be larger on the inside: say extending down the inner sides of either side toward the front. This would also allow something that I thought of a while back: putting MAF sensors in them to allow Mass Air EFI control. The big hurdle with both of these efforts is going to be sealing the area under the glass so that air ONLY comes through the side inlets and not from where the clip meets the firewall.

Wayne, Gary &amp; Steve:

I'm curious about the 51SI of filtration per side that Wayne mentioned. I'm the non technical guy, but my engine builder fabricated a Lexan box(as in bullet proof glass quality I'm told) with top and bottom panels to see through. We designed it with Lexan front and back panels so I could see out the rearview mirror and through the stacks.

The side areas are the filters measuring about 18" by 2-3". The 383 stroker ran fine on the dyno at long full-song pulls at 6,000 with no leaning out. (peak HP was at 5,800) Does the 342 at 6,500 need more than the 383 @ 6000 or is it possible there is a large safety factor in the filtration calculation for off road racers.

Pictures to follow.

Back