Very cool GT40/Cobra tool

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Since I'm not keen on beating on alloy knockoff spinners with a hammer, even a rawhide or lead one, I searched online for tools to help remove knockoff spinners. Initially I thought I would make one from hardwood plywood, like the one Moss Motors sells for E-type Jaguars, but a Google search turned up two made in alloy by various firms, one in Germany and one in USA. I decided to try the ones made in CA, USA, for the E-type Jaguar, which has two-eared spinners, and also the one for GT40s and Cobras, both of which have three-eared spinners, made of alloy.

The tools I tried out are made by knockoffspinnertool.com- the gentleman's name is Sarto Rocheleau. They are beautifully made of alloy, and are built with leather and plastic surfaces next to the spinner, so using the tool does not mar the alloy spinner. They come with a large socket which you mount on the tool; all you need is a half-inch breaker bar and you're in business. They arrived in two days and after fitting them to all three cars (the E-type, the Cobra, and GT40P1149) I can report that the tools fit perfectly and work exactly as they ought to.

I have no financial stake in this at all and before ordering them I did not know the gentleman who makes them. They are, however, perfect for the purpose and produced here in the USA, so they are worth your time to look into. knockoffspinnertool.com Cheers!!! (I don't know what other cars he makes them for, but it's worth inquiring about)

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very very nice tool, reasonably priced considering the damage you can do to a rim or breaking a knockoff.

Regards Brian

Neil

Supporter
That tool seems like a good idea. It literally "unscrews" the knock-off rather than hammering on the ears. My Ferrari came with a lead-faced hammer in its factory tool kit but, even though the lead was fairly soft, this looks like a better approach. One problem with hammering the ears on or off the hub is if the tire is not sitting on the ground, you are beating your wheel bearings to death. I did that with a front tire up on a jack and then I had to replace its double-row ball bearing. Don't do that! :(

Since I'm not keen on beating on alloy knockoff spinners with a hammer, even a rawhide or lead one, I searched online for tools to help remove knockoff spinners. Initially I thought I would make one from hardwood plywood, like the one Moss Motors sells for E-type Jaguars, but a Google search turned up two made in alloy by various firms, one in Germany and one in USA. I decided to try the ones made in CA, USA, for the E-type Jaguar, which has two-eared spinners, and also the one for GT40s and Cobras, both of which have three-eared spinners, made of alloy.

The tools I tried out are made by knockoffspinnertool.com- the gentleman's name is Sarto Rocheleau. They are beautifully made of alloy, and are built with leather and plastic surfaces next to the spinner, so using the tool does not mar the alloy spinner. They come with a large socket which you mount on the tool; all you need is a half-inch breaker bar and you're in business. They arrived in two days and after fitting them to all three cars (the E-type, the Cobra, and GT40P1149) I can report that the tools fit perfectly and work exactly as they ought to.

I have no financial stake in this at all and before ordering them I did not know the gentleman who makes them. They are, however, perfect for the purpose and produced here in the USA, so they are worth your time to look into. knockoffspinnertool.com Cheers!!! (I don't know what other cars he makes them for, but it's worth inquiring about)

If your GT40 is a Superformance, what size did you order for it (it appears there are several sizes available).

Thanks,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

That looks great!

chris it looks like there is only one size for the GT40/cobra spinners?
The 42mm and 52mm options are for different marques

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My car is a Safir GT40. I think he only makes the GT40/Cobra tool in one size. I have a Kirkham Motorsports Cobra and I tried the knockoff spinner tool on both the GT40 and the Cobra, it fit perfectly on both. He also makes one for a Series 1 E-type, and since I have one of those cars as well, I bought that one, too. Also fits perfectly.

My car is a Safir GT40. I think he only makes the GT40/Cobra tool in one size. I have a Kirkham Motorsports Cobra and I tried the knockoff spinner tool on both the GT40 and the Cobra, it fit perfectly on both. He also makes one for a Series 1 E-type, and since I have one of those cars as well, I bought that one, too. Also fits perfectly.

lowkey humble brag :p im loving your line up there Jim! Good to know they fit well.

Got mine 2 days after I ordered it ,great customer service from Sarto . Marvelous to do business with a great enthusiast and made in USA . The tool is beautifully made and a pleasure to use . Cannot believe I have waited 20 years to get a tool like this ,Its awesome !! I have wasted 2 Halibrand spinners on my GT40 by beating them to death over the years getting the rears loose .Its tough to get a lead hammer on the spinner and the ears start to crack over time .I have 1 1/2' of threads outside my spinners and the latest version accommodates up to 2inches of extra thread .I always lockwire the spinners after tightening . Thanks for the thread Jim .

Back