Very cool GT40 painting by artist Scott Jacobs

You have jolly good eyesight to determine fine art from illustrative work from a 50k uploaded thumbnail picture. I can visualise you sneering down your nose at it as I read your comment! :) Preferable is as you say subjective. The reason why I prefer Chris Duggans picture is because it is of a car in action rather than a static group of cars, of I car I know, have driven, competed against and at venues that I think are cool. All my preference. But hey thats art for you.

Pit lane at Goodwood, as you say Jason and another going down the pitlane straight. The other venue is not as famous as Goodwood but is, I think, an older venue connected with Buggatti's. Not Le Mans, Molleur.
Malcolm, my man, the eyesight's not what it used to be but I determine fine art from 30 yrs experience collecting it. Illustrative is not necessarily inferior and Duggan is quite good as I mentioned. Check this piece by Jacobs and you may begin to see what this conversation is about.
Special K CHEERS!

Ron Earp

Admin
Malcolm, my man, the eyesight's not what it used to be but I determine fine art from 30 yrs experience collecting it.

This one?

intimidation.jpg

I'm not an artist or collector, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm not getting it. Rather than a feeling of Intimidation or awe I'm more getting the a feeling that these cars were parked too close together at the car show.

The parked GTs do little for me...and it doesn't look very artistic to me (of course, I am NOT an expert). I would possibly hang it in my garage, if it were free...on the other hand the painting of the GTD, I personally like a whole lot better in every way. That one, I would probably hang in my office and even pay for it. Just my, non-expert, non-art collector opinion.

This one?

intimidation.jpg

I'm not an artist or collector, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm not getting it. Rather than a feeling of Intimidation or awe I'm more getting the a feeling that these cars were parked too close together at the car show.
Great observation Ron and you don't need to be an art expert to know what you like. Photo-Realism is an accepted fine art style and Jacobs' acclaim comes more from his technique than a specific subject matter. If you saw this piece in person you probably would swear it was a photo and not a painting. Just for fun here is one of his action pieces (Harley flat-track racers at 140mph) showing the artist's versatility.

triple_threat.jpg

By the way Ron your avatar image would be an awesome painting!

Could we stipulate, and perhaps change the title of this thread, to reflect the fact that these are *not* lean, lithe, sexy classic GT40s in this painting, but rather fat, bloated, modern Ford GTs?

I'm always annoyed when I go follow a link somewhere only to discover that the depicted item is nothing near what it's purported to be....:veryangry:

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I would agree that the photo-realistic paintings of the new GT's really don't evoke the emotions associated with racing in the 60's nor would I imagine the artist was attempting to recreate it. Here are a few from the Shelby Heritage Series we, Racing Division Inc, Los Angeles, are working on. Bob Bondurant, Alan Grant, Pete Brock, Carroll Shelby and others already have these in their collections.

Attachments

• ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18).jpg
    ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 291
  • ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)2.jpg
    ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 323
  • ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)4.jpg
    ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 283
  • ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)5.jpg
    ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)5.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 281
  • ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)6.jpg
    ShelbyHeritageCanvas(24X18)6.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 325

Pat

Supporter
This one?

intimidation.jpg

It looks more like a fire sale for the Ford GT speculators that paid $50K over sticker...

The prints are nice. But sorry, Shelby is a piece of garbage, I wouln't let him sign the sole of my shoe.

The whole truth will come out once Shelby is gone and from what I'm told by an ex-lawyer of his, it's not going to be pretty.
He tried to shut my company down and sued me for selling parts I purchased from Ford with receipts. Ford ultimately had to pay for his greed! The $10M royalty check he gets every year from Ford makes me sick!
Other than my soap box speech, I like the painting even though they are Ford GT's and not GT40's.

The parked GTs do little for me...and it doesn't look very artistic to me (of course, I am NOT an expert). I would possibly hang it in my garage, if it were free...on the other hand the painting of the GTD, I personally like a whole lot better in every way. That one, I would probably hang in my office and even pay for it. Just my, non-expert, non-art collector opinion.

First, let me say that while I may not appreciate Mr. Jacob's artwork as much as others, but I am in great awe of his technical abilities.

Erich: IMHO, an interesting and/or meaningful story behind a piece can greatly enhance its appeal on multiple levels.

Back