Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here is my chassis being welded up on the jig in GT40 Australias work shop. Doesn't look to pretty in these pics,
but it is under way an I am excited.

Attachments

• 24413-chassis-#48.jpg
    24413-chassis-#48.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4,573

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I cannot seem to post more than one pic at a time can someone advise? Here is a shot of the roll bar

Attachments

• 24414-16-oct-2003.jpg
    24414-16-oct-2003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4,215

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
And the chassis is almost ready to go to the paint shop! Body work next

Attachments

• 24415-0ct16-03.jpg
    24415-0ct16-03.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 4,212
Hang in there Pete! I can remember when my car was at that stage like it was yesterday. Be sure to keep a photo album of the construction, so you can look back to it a year from now with a big smile on your face! I still peek at my album from time to time, remembering how my excitement grew as things progressed. Best of luck with your build!

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Bill, you bet I'll keep photos. Im a bit like a new father at the moment, showing pics to everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I too like that roll bar. I have been thinking about having Robert send me one. If I remember correctly, doesn't Robert's extend forward to the windscreen and down the pillars? Will yours do this Pete?

G

You can have one made that way Pat, but as my car will only
be having the odd day at the track I went for the cheaper
option, which as you can see is pretty solid.

Ron Earp

Admin
Pete,

Do GT40 Australia weld in panels to the chassis before delivery? If so, good idea!!! As long as they are lightweight steel and not 1/4" or anything unnecessary.

Ron

Ron,

All panels on the DRB gt-40 are prewelded - the only panels that I hvae to install are the "splash" guards at each end of the fuel tank sils - basically, everything else is done on the chassis as it come from the factory! The steel is not overly thick (and that's a good thing as you still need to cut a number of access holes for linkages and wiring and that can be a little awkward at times.

Dave harris

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, Just like Dave said all panels are welded at the factory. I'm not sure what gauge the steel is but can find out if you wish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

Hi Pete - that is looking really nice. It was a smart move to grab the chassis at this stage to do a proper paint job as it will save you heaps of time later (masking stuff off, missing bits you can no longer get to, etc.).

It will not be long before the piece of structural engineering suddenly looks like a car !

Are you going to take delivery as a basic or rolling chassis, or a full turnkey ?

Also, what engine is planned re ADR emissions testing ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete,

With the chassis at this stage (and assuming you are going to be doing the building!) I would suggest that you add all of the "extra" holes to the panels and chassis that you will need (gear shift, wiring and riv-nuts, brake lines, fuel lines, etc.) as it's MUCH easier without all of the body panels!

dave harris
chassis #41

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Pete, fortunatly I am in the position of being able to purchase the full turn key. My contribution to the build will be the engine. Dave thanks, but as you see above, the factory is doing the build.Good advice for others though. I live about a 20 minute drive away from GT40 Australia, (D.R.B.Sports cars) and I am already driving them crazy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

The body came out of the moulds yesterday. I will post pics when I get them. Saw a great looking gt40 in the full Gulf
Regalia being loaded into a container at the DRB factory, headed for some lucky guy in Texas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back