Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Re: GT40 Australia #48

Brett
They will be the GT40 Australia seats, available in various trim finishes.
Here are mine which I'm looking forward to seeing 'in the flesh' within the next two weeks (Shipping and Customs permitting).

Attachments

• 56470-IMG_6061web.JPG
    56470-IMG_6061web.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 805

Another picture.
If you want to measure them, you can come and help unload !

Attachments

• 56472-IMG_6059web.JPG
    56472-IMG_6059web.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 774

Pete,
those tires and wheels are just perfect. Classy and aggressive. A real nice touch. I'm sure everyone here is proud of you. I know I am.
Even if you have pros helping finish the car your input is what gives it your personality. I know you laid in bed thinking about colors and tires and seats and all the rest of the things that make up a car build. I for one think it's perfect.
Great job. I wish I could be there to see it's maiden voyage. Maybe you could record it's first words for us.
You are right about trying to post a picture of it's color. It just never looks as great as seeing it in person and in the sun. It looks great in the photo so it must be an outstanding paint job.
Will be waiting to see pictures of it running around town or on the track. Be careful and have fun.
Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Di, my wife and I dropped into GT40 Australia last week to be fitted to the seats. First time actually sitting in our car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Moveable seat rails worked perfectly, but major problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif with my helmet on there was not enough headroom even with the lowered floor. Seems I have a long body and short legs. Di unkindly mentioned Neanderthal.The problem was solved by removing the seat rails.Fortunatly, Di is tall and I am a shortarse so we found a seat position that we are both comfortable with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We both felt very comfortable in the DRB race seats, they are snug, with good lateral and lumber support.In fact I did not want to get out and sat there making VROOOM VRRROOOOOM noises while the crew went for coffee. No idea what they were giggling about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
We decided to add brake boost as Di felt the pedal pressures would be uncomfortable for her and I know it is wise to keep her sweet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Work in progress is, seats are off to the upholsterer, aforementioned brake boosters to be fitted, Carpet and head lining to be made up and fitted,wireing of electric mirrors,remote door locks,runnning of oil/fuel lines, fire up motor, tune. fit lights and wire them up and on and on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
We are now at the stage that I am like an expectant father, pacing the floor, grinding my teeth and everything seems to be going in slow motion. Di keeps telling me that patience is a virtue and I remind her that virtue has never been one of my attributes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess I'll take the top off another xxxx and try and become full of virtue.......

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Hey Pete, you are so close now !! At least Di is willing to have a go - my wife's first "test-fit" resulted in the following comment : "I feel like I an sitting in a coffin or a decompression chamber" !!

I've worked it now for cruising - 10mg of Vallium for Karen, fill the tanks, cross the fingers & just GO !!

Patience - isn't that some dumb game people play with cards ?

Virtue - not interested !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, Di's Dad raced cars in the U.K. and David her brother
won the Australian Formula Ford driver to Europe championship some years ago, so I guess she has it in the blood. I'm sure that when the car is up and running I will have trouble getting her out of it.I'm not sure that you dont have the better deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Pete, looks like your making some progress, just a quick question about your chassis pic in the factory, it's painted blue but its new steel,is this new idea to stop it rusting while being built, can you weld through it, does the steel come that way or did they put something on it to protect it, i'm having a problem with my chassis that the steel is not protected, and will probably rust away by the time i'm finished the chassis heheh.any ideas what i could put on it while working on it.

Regards
GraemeS

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Graeme, the steel comes this way from the supplier. It is to protect from rust, but the coating conducts electricity so you can weld it without having to remove the paint/coating. Not sure whether it is a paint or some other coating. I bet someone on the forum will know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It also has a very good etch to the steel so you can paint straight on top of it without undercoat.

Zinc based primers are ok, they are conductive and burn off completley (spell checker Ron please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) try here http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8830

"Zinc Rich Primer.

HIGH ZINC CONTENT

PROVIDING HIGH CORROSION

RESISTANCE AND EXCELLENT

WELD THROUGH PROPERTIES

Directions.
Spray from 25 to 30cm onto the surface to be coated using a series of light coats to build up the thickness required. Allow to dry completely (2-4 hours) before futher painting.

Uses.
GALVANISING SPRAY is for use in production, maintenance and construction industries to provide a protective coating of Zinc over metal surfaces which protects against rust and corrosion. It can be used as a coating on pipes and steel fabrications to reduce corrosion and as an exceptionally good primer coat. It protects welds on both bare metal or previosly galvanised surfaces and as a touch up for marred, hot galvanished surfaces. It protects iron, piping, ducts, water tanks, automotive and marine parts. Test spray area before applying.

Contains 99.9% Pure Zinc."

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

A quick word of warning - according to a medico/car buff mate, welding thru zinc (gal coat or zinc paint) creates some seriously nasty fumes - good ventilation &/or a mask is the go.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifA HUGE step forward today. Turned the key and fired up the engine for the first time today. Too many celebratory Chardies to write more except it sounds AWESOME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif More Pics and if I can figure it out,sound in the next few days.

Attachments

• 58854-startup.JPG
    58854-startup.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 914

Pete,

Congratulations on getting her fired up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That long wait is almost over! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What's with you Aussies and those orange trumpet filters?

Some sort of wierd sock fetish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks bill, the orange filters look crap, but are very good
and the car is in a very dusty enviroment at the moment.When I get it home I will put some "Pretty" filters on it which will "Knock your socks off" I have attached sound of the engine. Click on attachment at top. This was recorded on my mobile phone and transferred to my laptop so the sound is not flash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it gives you an idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Pete
The car looks great
With your previous posts I would have thought not socks but more like "Fishnet" stockings would have been the order of the day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gee when I see these pics I have a long way to go!

Ian

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Yep, sounds like a ford, or our eager staff are waiting to serve you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 59128-motorrunning057.jpg
    59128-motorrunning057.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 789
Back