Weber manifold question

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I have seen Webers with both the Cobra style manifold (with dual water tubes) pardon me if my terminology is off. And those with the standard single water inlet. Would either work on a small block in a GT40? Seems the dual water inlet with the external Cobra Y would not fit.

Which manifold should I be looking at when considering Webers?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys, it appears that neither of you are using the type of manifold I am looking at, the Cobra dual water inlet, but the single as in your photos. I will keep looking for weber set up unless someone shows me they are using the original Cobra type.

Another way !!

Attachments

• DSCF0362.jpg
    DSCF0362.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCF0365.jpg
    DSCF0365.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 574

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If you look in the very early parts books for GT40s, the ones with the blue covers, they show the split-Y arrangement with a thermostat which is mounted off the engine. This is very early, about 1964 or so, I think. It can be made to work, but it will involve more fittings and be harder to plumb in.

The best source for Weber advice is Jim Inglese, at Home. (the company with a similar but not identical name used to belong to him, and now belongs to Comp Cams or their group) Jim knows everything of any importance on Webers and he is the go-t0 guy for this stuff. Nice and very helpful.

If you look in the very early parts books for GT40s, the ones with the blue covers, they show the split-Y arrangement with a thermostat which is mounted off the engine. This is very early, about 1964 or so, I think. It can be made to work, but it will involve more fittings and be harder to plumb in.

The best source for Weber advice is Jim Inglese, at Home. (the company with a similar but not identical name used to belong to him, and now belongs to Comp Cams or their group) Jim knows everything of any importance on Webers and he is the go-t0 guy for this stuff. Nice and very helpful.

A picture of Jim Inglese's replica Cobra manifold:

http://www.jiminglese.com/linked/289cobra.jpg

Michael,

I have both the Cobra and the Ford E & F manifold with the original dual water outlets. The original GT40 "Y" manifold is unique itself and is unlike the the one used in the 289 Cobra and or the reversed "Y" pipe used in the GT350. The original GT40 version came out and immediately turned down heading down the front left side of the engine. I'll look for a photo of a GT40 "Y" pipe. I believe Jay Cushman has reproduced them.

You can see photos of them in the SAAC forum in my photo gallery there under SFM5S000

Cheers,
~Earl J

Michael, I had the duel inlet on my set up which came off the drivers side. This did not work on my car since I needed it to come off to the passenger side. I just made a new one with some aluminum pipe. You can go to my build log and see it. Go to the build forum and go back to JIMS ERA build with the last entry on 11-28-10. The photo of the manifold is on my post of 11-24-10. Hope this helps. Jim

Back