What do you think of my GT40?

Like I said Jason, Gobbs of talent !
grin.gif

As far as the copyright goes, If you create it and copyright it then I have to have permission to use it. Now if I was on the street doing an oil painting of a famous sculpture and then sold the painting I'm OK.
But if I drew the sculpure in its true likeness and put it on a Tee shirt without permission I'm open for a law suit.
An automobile is different. You can photogragh it, draw it or paint it but you can't build one that looks like it. Then you
are directly effecting their business.
If you build a one off car and copyright its shape then permission must be gotten before anyone can use its likeness. Many of the one off street rods are copyrighted. When they are photographed for the purpose of print the photogragher must have permission to do so. If you come along and take a picture, as thousands do when these cars are shown, Then there is no foul unless you use it for monitary gain.
So if you draw a reasonable facsimile of a GT, you can copyright that image. Nobody
can then use that image without your permission unless you sell the rights to that image. You are not copyrighting the GT40. You are copyrighting an artistic representation of the car in your art.
Common sense goes a long way here. Just don't pledgerize or copy somebody elses work.
When you make an original you should always mark it with the copyright symbol and the date it was created. I always enclosed a copy and a photo of the work with original thumbnail sketches in an envelope and mail it to myself to get the post mark. I file the envelope away unopened. If there is ever a dispute as to the creation of the work you can prove when you created it.

I hope this helps.

Hersh
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Jason,

Want to donate a few minutes of your time and design us a nice logo for the site?

You could try one, or a couple, and we put it up for vote. I'd love to have a nice logo compared to what we now have. I don't have the talent like you have to do something like that.

GT40s is not a business, but a loose association of folks that like the same thing - GT40s. I'm sure all the members would go for a good logo on the site and then maybe the logo on some shirts, like Club Cobra did.

Let me know what you think,

Ron

Ron

I am interested but it will be a few weeks. I am way behind on my other t-shirt requests. I will certainly give it a try.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hey Jason:
I think your artwork is great, although I don't much like the yellow GT40 design. But the other cars are terrific.
There are a lot of Tshirts which show the light blue and orange Gulf GT40s, that's been done and done again. Look through John Allen's GT40 book for ideas, there are tons of great looking cars in there. What you might do with a cartoon design like the yellow one is stretch it out, make it lean, low and mean, like they are, and use it as a logo for pockets or something like that.
There are customers here for the right image of a GT40 and you could be the buy to do it.
I have a fairly good photo of 1072 I will try to post, it's on a trailer but it's a low angle shot and might serve as a guide for future efforts...

Jason,

The Ferrari looks great. If you captured
the GT40 in that same vein, you'd have a
great design -- IMHO.

I used to draw the exaggerated, curved,
fire-breathing musclecars myself years ago
(when I was in high school and had a '72
Formula 400 Firebird w/ 4spd
smile.gif
But, I
have to agree with the majority in that
the beauty of the 40 lies in its sleek
lines, barely hiding the bulging tires.
You captured that with your Modena-esque
cars, you could do the same with a 40.

Just my 2 cents.

Ian

You're welcome Jason.
Then I guess you would know an answer I need. I don't prefer these types of designs personally. I just figured that if you do anything close to realistic that you would get sued for Copyright. What do you guys do?
Hersh
smile.gif

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Jason;
There have been TONS of shirts made with the image of aGT40 on them. Has anyone ever been sued? I doubt it. I bet no matter how many you sell it will be too small a number to pop up on Ford's radar screen; if indeed they have any ownership of the appearance of the car. There are at least two other companies that can argue convincingly that they have some right to the design of the car, and I am willing to bet no one has ever been given any trouble about putting a GT40 on a shirt.
If it is as good as your Ferrari drawing I'll put my order in now...

Well I am considering doing realistic cars for t-shirts. I would like to add though that that green car is my own design and is not a Ferrari. I actually named it Divino. I will keep you posted if I decide to do real cars. Thanks.

Jason,

It looks like a cross between a Saleen S7
and a MacLaren F1!
You should be designing cars in Detroit,
not printing T-shirts!
Keep up the good work!

Bill

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The green car looks like a 550 Maranello. I agree with Bill. With an eye like that, why stop at Tshirts? Of course, it's a lot easier to put a Tshirt into production than a real car..
I would really like to see what you do with a GT40 along the lines of the image of the green car. Maybe a dark red one, or white with blue stripes. There are already Tshirts of the Gulf cars and I thinkFran Kress did a Tshirt of his dark blue car. Keep us posted. So to speak.

Jason,
Did you miss my post on the copyright info
or did you ignore it?
I used a book for many years that is like
a bible to artist. It's the Graphic Artist Guild Handbook of Pricing & Ethical Guidlines. It has everything you need to know about copyrighting images. My post on the first page was a condensed effort to explain how copyright works. If that effort failed then get the book. It will do a better job than I did perhaps. http://www.gag.org/
Good Luck

Hersh

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

Back