What have I done?

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
What have I done? Oh, what have I done? 5 years ago at this same time I ordered and then built a Cobra Roadster replica. Really fun to build. More fun to drive! Having worked at Ford during the '60s the Cobra & GT40 have been in my mind for a long time. A week ago today my wife & I took the tour at FFF (Fran's Fabulous Facility)/RCR. Lots of eye candy in that place. What a gracious, entertaining & knowledgeable host he is. And he's a motorcycle guy too! Anyway, today I pushed the button on one of his GT40 Kits. I keep telling myself I must be crazy, but after seeing the movie recently, my wife is in on this too. I have been pouring over the posts on this forum and learned a lot with much more to go and I'll no doubt be asking lots of questions during the process. Many thanks to you guys for you being here and Happy Holidays to All!
Getting excited, Rod Dittmar

Chuck

Supporter
Allow me to place your mind at ease. You are not crazy. It was more than a decade ago that we started our RCR GT40 build. And it is still fun. Now we are working on a RCR Jag D Type build. More fun. Yea, I'm crazy.

Howard Jones

Supporter
That was EXACTLY the same thing I said that first evening of the day my GT40 kit was delivered. I went back out into the garage after dinner and there it was. Piles of boxes, bags of nuts and bolts, and the body all taped together on the chassis.

Aside from my family it was the best thing I ever did. When I think of all the great friendships that have come from the cars I built over the last 20 odd years I can only say that I was blessed when I made the crazy leap I did.

I won't get into all the how's and whys, tools and vendors, etc. What I will say is if you want to do it then it will happen for you. The only advice would be to not let too many days go by without doing something. Even if that something only takes 10-15 mins.

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Howard, thanks for the kind reply. It's still months away, but I can't wait to get started. Being retired I have the luxury of being able to work on things most anytime. A good friend and I built my Cobra in his shop. We did something to it almost every day but still took 15 months. Funny thing though, a neighbor of his came over to watch one day, looked around the shop, and noticed that my friend had a LOT of projects going on. Then he looked back at us and said, "You guys better hurry up!" We laughed hard at that one, and now we say that almost anything we buy these days comes with a lifetime guarantee.....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya, my GT40 took 12 YEARS! and the SLC took another 8. I like to change things...……………. When asked how long these kind of projects take I usually say "something on the order of 3-5 years if you don't take breaks longer than a week or two from time to time. Other's are far faster or longer.

Oh and add your location to your profile. It will help us help you.

Back