What is it like driving an SL-C on the street?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would be interested in knowing where the proper place for that discussion on this forum would be. I for one have set aside a large chunk of money to purchase the rumored 3rd year 1000hp AWD version. There is tons of information here.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum....gine_corvette_enthusiasts&utm_term=2018-07-10..

I can now start getting things around for a RCR LolaT70. I put that on hold until I saved the cash for the MEC8.

Regards Brian

I would be interested in knowing where the proper place for that discussion on this forum would be. I for one have set aside a large chunk of money to purchase the rumored 3rd year 1000hp AWD version. There is tons of information here.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum....gine_corvette_enthusiasts&utm_term=2018-07-10..

I can now start getting things around for a RCR LolaT70. I put that on hold until I saved the cash for the MEC8.

Regards Brian

Brian, GM didn't build a HUGE replacement Corvette factory to sell 2000-4000 $150K cars annually. That is how big the market truly is for $150K + sports cars.

There is no FE C8 mule running around. The new C8 ME base model is going to have a starting price of about $59,900, which is an 8% increase over the C7 base model. There is nothing inherent in a ME layout that greatly increases costs over a FE and GM has built inexpensive ME cars in the past.

As always Chevy will build an amazing car, with a very nice but not great interior, that competes with and easily outperforms cars costing 3x as much.

Then you will see a Z06, let's hope they build it with a manual trans and a high revving NA engine unlike the abortion that is the C7 Z06.

It's likely they will in time build a few thousand ZR1's, except this version will be AWD, Hybrid, Auto only, and probably weigh 4000#, or even more. That car will cost $180K - 190K.

I love the SLC and what it represents. However it's a much smaller group that wants a custom built vehicle like this, even with the obvious performance advantages. For 99.9% of people, a C8 is going to provide a much better value. The reality is that most people just want a Supercar they can afford, the amazing performance metrics of the SLC are well beyond their needs.

My opinion is that once you can buy a mass produced ME, easy parts and Tech availability, removable roof, easy to buy/ sell, for about $75K very nicely equipped, the value of some of these specialty cars will be reduced. But it's just a guess.

I'm playing the long game, I'm watching builds, and waiting for the right car at the right price.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Sorry Sun - but I'll pay $1k, maybe even $2k, more for that master builder $200k car you reference.

BTW, I've driven a couple C7Z's... pretty incredible machine, even if Chevy did flub on the cooling. Chevy claims they fixed the issue on the later cars... but, if not, sub $10k kit solves that issue.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Brian, GM didn't build a HUGE replacement Corvette factory to sell 2000-4000 $150K cars annually. That is how big the market truly is for $150K + sports cars.

There is no FE C8 mule running around. The new C8 ME base model is going to have a starting price of about $59,900, which is an 8% increase over the C7 base model. There is nothing inherent in a ME layout that greatly increases costs over a FE and GM has built inexpensive ME cars in the past.

As always Chevy will build an amazing car, with a very nice but not great interior, that competes with and easily outperforms cars costing 3x as much.

Then you will see a Z06, let's hope they build it with a manual trans and a high revving NA engine unlike the abortion that is the C7 Z06.

It's likely they will in time build a few thousand ZR1's, except this version will be AWD, Hybrid, Auto only, and probably weigh 4000#, or even more. That car will cost $180K - 190K.

I love the SLC and what it represents. However it's a much smaller group that wants a custom built vehicle like this, even with the obvious performance advantages. For 99.9% of people, a C8 is going to provide a much better value. The reality is that most people just want a Supercar they can afford, the amazing performance metrics of the SLC are well beyond their needs.

My opinion is that once you can buy a mass produced ME, easy parts and Tech availability, removable roof, easy to buy/ sell, for about $75K very nicely equipped, the value of some of these specialty cars will be reduced. But it's just a guess.

I'm playing the long game, I'm watching builds, and waiting for the right car at the right price.

What/who is your 'source' re: the $60K #'base price' on the new ME? To date, the only figures I've heard being kicked around all hover around the $150K mark. Since I've been 'in line' for one at a dealer back East since 2014 - I'd really like to know!

If you're looking for a sub-6 figure SL-C that for darned sure ought to be priced far higher, at $87,500 I don't think it's even possible to beat Pete B's SL-C no matter how or from what angle one might choose to look at it (initial cost/resale market/maintenance costs, "depreciation", etc., etc., etc.). That thing is just NUTS!

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/2015-superlite-sl-c.52358/#post-526973

If you want more h.p., swap an LS9 (or whatever) into it and you'd still be way ahead money-wise... ;-)

Last edited:
What/who is your 'source' re: the $60K #'base price' on the new ME? To date, the only figures I've heard being kicked around all hover around the $150K mark. Since I've been 'in line' for one at a dealer back East since 2014 - I'd really like to know!

If you're looking for a sub-6 figure SL-C that for darned sure ought to be priced far higher, at $87,500 I don't think it's even possible to beat Pete B's SL-C no matter how or from what angle one might choose to look at it (initial cost/resale market/maintenance costs, "depreciation", etc., etc., etc.). That thing is just NUTS!

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/2015-superlite-sl-c.52358/#post-526973

If you want more h.p., swap an LS9 (or whatever) into it and you'd still be way ahead money-wise... ;-)

I swear, this will be my last Corvette related post! ;)

Chevy will sell just a few thousand C7 ZR1s, that's the size of the market for a $150K Corvette, 2000-3000 annually at most. Chevy has a very successful system for selling and marketing the Corvette that goes back decades. They are able to amortize development and other model specific costs over many more units. They sell it with a modified pickup truck engine that makes it's way in to millions of other units. More importantly the profits earned on parts & service over the lifetime of that car represent the lion's share of the profit per vehicle. So volume matters, a lot. It also leads to additional truck/ SUV sales.

I repeat: CHEVY DID NOT JUST DRAMATICALLY REBUILD AND UPSIZE THE CORVETTE FACTORY TO SELL 80% LESS CARS. My source for C8 pricing is my brain, and it's correct.

To the side point about the C7 Z06, it's just too heavy, too complicated, too heat soaked, too optioned, too fancy. The C8 Z06 should be a track capable car with iron 2 piece rotors, 18" forged wheels all around, NA high revving with no DOD, manual no AC seats, manual trans, and a much lower gear ratio than the cars typically come with having a top speed of around 185 or so but getting there very quickly. Then the C8 ZR1 should be the GT machine that weighs 4000# and runs 22" wheels, carbon brakes, ass massager, DCT, etc... The reality is that GM knows their market, middle aged guys that mostly want to look cool but few care about how the car really works at the track. I don't mean just lap times, that's not all there is. So they aren't building the cars exactly right currently. The best Corvette currently is a C7 GS with a well built NA 427ci engine.

To your next point, you argued with me that a 5 figure used well built SL-C was unlikely, then posted a link to one? Huh? I'm confused. I'll be able to buy the right car at a price I agree with in time, is my position.

I'm not as talented a mechanic/ fabricator or as wealthy (or maybe prioritize differently) than many of you. But I do enjoy the nicest things. In sports cars. I greatly prefer NA, manual trans, shit tons of power, truly lightweight, and no BS electronics. For these reasons the SL-C is very appealing to me. When ever I buy something big I often study, learn, shop, and buy deliberately, and in that order. Most people reverse that order.

Thanks for ya's input, it's really cool that we have such true car guys around here!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
To your next point, you argued with me that a 5 figure used well built SL-C was unlikely, then posted a link to one? Huh? I'm confused.

Huh...???!

Eeeeeeeh...you might wanna reread what I posted! What part of, "If you're looking for a SUB-6 FIGURE SL-C that for darned sure ought to be priced far higher, at $87,500 I don't think it's even possible to beat Pete B's SL-C..." caused you to interpret it as, "you argued with me that a 5 figure used well built SL-C WAS UNLIKELY..."???

If you think you're "confused", imagine how much more so I am right now! ;)

BTW...again...where did you 'come by' the $60K base price on the ME?

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Regards Brian
Wings, Wheels & Keels would be a good forum. Or the Paddock.

Huh...???!

Eeeeeeeh...you might wanna reread what I posted! What part of, "If you're looking for a SUB-6 FIGURE SL-C that for darned sure ought to be priced far higher, at $87,500 I don't think it's even possible to beat Pete B's SL-C..." caused you to interpret it as, "you argued with me that a 5 figure used well built SL-C WAS UNLIKELY..."???

If you think you're "confused", imagine how much more so I am right now! ;)

BTW...again...where did you 'come by' the $60K base price on the ME?

I see, I think I misunderstood your point regarding SL-C pricing. Although what you find to be a below market value price, I'd consider in-line or a bit high. But that's a minor point. After all they are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for one. The market dictates price, not you and I after all!

Wish me luck in finding one.

I'm going to pass on any further C8 talk however just out of respect for the purpose of this forum.

~ take care

Back