What on earth is this?

Can anyone help me out, and tell me what is hiding under this?

Even the name on the side is offensive....was there ever a GT40 turbo? lol

Screenshot 2023-05-30 195445.png

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
As told by Lloyd Jennings
When you can’t afford an original Ford GT40, you get the next best thing: a replica. My wife would not let me spend the $6 million to buy one, so I built my own for $26,000. It took me five years, using a 1986 Pontiac Fiero I bought for only $800. It has an NAF rebody, created by Jack Kube, who passed away several years ago. He claimed that after coming across some original GT40 body parts, he made molds from them, and grafted fiberglass pieces onto a Pontiac Fiero chassis (since it had removable composite panels).
My mods to the Fiero include swapping out the engine with a 1998 Ford Contour 2.5 Duratec V6, good for 200 hp. In addition to the Ford driveline, I also added a comp suspension with a Held MTST Bump Stop Kit for rear, and relocated the radiator and A/C. The dash is customized as well.
While it’s not a racer, it’s an enjoyable, comfortable drive and I use it as a show car. It wins in about 95 percent of the shows entered. So that makes it a trophy ride to me!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
X2 on it being a Fiero based car. There was another manufacturer in Texas “Lonestar Classics” that made one that looked similar and it had a Ford Focus (or variant) engine/transaxle under the rear bonnet. It was called the LS40. Early 2000’s..

Last edited:
The Lone Star was also larger in all dimensions by about 10%. I tried to get one before they went completely tits up. Just the body. No way would I go through all of that effort to put a 4 banger in the back. I might consider a sideways V8 like the Archie Fiero. knowing now how long the wait for a transaxle can be.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The Lone Star was also larger in all dimensions by about 10%. I tried to get one before they went completely tits up. Just the body. No way would I go through all of that effort to put a 4 banger in the back. I might consider a sideways V8 like the Archie Fiero. knowing now how long the wait for a transaxle can be.
I wasn’t aware of the size differences of the GT40 -vs- LS40
I am pretty sure their Cobra replica was a 95” wheelbase rather than 90”.

Back