Wheel Creek

How thick is the spacer? (I don't have them, but it's not unusual for me to discover missing or extra parts in P2160....:huh:) Also, do you have them on front wheels as well?

I don't have wheel spacers either. Would they be for non standard wheels or to compensate for machining of an original set of wheels?

No wheel spacers here. As far as I know SPF didn't use them from the factory. Not sure it would be very safe given the pin drive setup either.

Edt:

In looking at your photos I'm not even sure that qualifies as a spacer given its observed thickness. Can you mic it and let us know how thick it was? Might also want to hit the threads of the drive pins with some blue threadlok. Piece of mind IMO.

BTW, what is the build date of your car? Hitech seems to be ever evolving with the manufacture of these cars.

Last edited:
15 inch wheels, here is the thickness

Attachments

• IMG00024-20110614-1811.jpg
    IMG00024-20110614-1811.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 203
A couple of possibilities on the spacer:
Wheels machined on hub face or require spacer to clear brake calipers, same deal but drive pin holes in wheel not machined deep enough to allow proper tightness of center lock, not enough thread on hub for centerlock to tighten fully... yep those are unlikely but worth checking before you throw the spacer over your left shoulder:)

Kevin

I also would take a look at that two threads which bolts the brake hub onto the wheel hub. THey seem to be not camferred. On the pic it looks like a litte rim is standing above the flat surface. If this is the case it would not allow the brake hub to sit flat on the wheel hub. Just make sure you camferre them enough.
attachment.php

TOM

Thanks Tom,

I think it was the flash, the threads look ok in person. After another test drive I determined that was not the issue and did a little more digging.
1) The noise occurs just pushing the car and is timed with wheel rotation
2) It does not occur when the car is in the air
3) It is not the suspension as I went through that today with grease and a wrench to tighten up the two loose bolts

Therefore my current hypothesis is that it from the axle, see black axle in picture. Note I removed the CV clamp before I took this picture. If I grab the axle, there is some play in it and I can move it back and forth toward the trans or toward the wheel. The amount of play is probably 1/16th of an inch or so, not much but the other side does not have any play.

Therefore, how does one go about tightening this axle? Do I need to take off the CV Boots? I did check the bolts where the axle bolts to the trans and hub, they appeared tight.

Thank you
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG00026-20110619-1513.jpg
    IMG00026-20110619-1513.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
If I grab the axle, there is some play in it and I can move it back and forth toward the trans or toward the wheel. The amount of play is probably 1/16th of an inch or so, not much but the other side does not have any play.

I have what I think is a key question: exactly which parts are moving laterally and which are staying still?

The one I'm really interested in is the black cylindrical steel piece that is outboard of the outer CV joint, at the very bottom of your picture; the piece your half-shafts bolt to with six hex-socket screws. If that is moving relative to the aluminum casting (the upright) in which it sits, then I think you need to adjust your rear wheel bearings. If that's true you will find Richard Woerz's recent experience on http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/30710-adjusting-spf-wheel-bearings.html quite relevant.

The black cylindrical steel piece that is outer of the CV joint, the part at the bottom of the picture does NOT move, that part is stable.

Only the axle, in between the CV joints seems to loose.

Thanks for the clarifying question

The black cylindrical steel piece that is outer of the CV joint, the part at the bottom of the picture does NOT move, that part is stable.

Only the axle, in between the CV joints seems to loose.

Thanks for the clarifying question

I wouldnt have a problem with that, might actually be more concerned that the other side axle Doesnt have that free play, the axle is splined into the guts of the CV at both ends & retained by circlips usually & some end play of both the axle & CV ball carrier is normal..

Thanks Jac,
I never did pull the wheels from Left to Right but I do believe it was the CV joint. When I finally pulled it out there was a single bearing that was shiny, not covered in grease. In addition, there were a few pieces of something that should not be in there, not sure what it was but looked like errant silicon. I pulled that out, spread out the grease and it seems fine now after 300 miles, 45 of which was on Road America.

Will probably pull them off this fall and repack them.

Kevin

Back