which audi 6 speed diesel box for my 302?

The 0A2 was installed behind the 2.7tdi, the 01X was only installed behind the lower horsepower cars, like the 4 cylinder and the V6 gas models, it is considered by many as light duty transmission. The 0A2 is the replacement for the bulletproof 01E. We are currently working a deal to obtain new 0A2's directly from Audi and VW AG in Europe.

The 0A2 FWD unit comes in one ratio set only with different ring and pinions, but all are diesel gearboxes so they have rather wide ratios.

Hmmmm, I was under the impression that 02A gearboxes were for FWD transverse applications (as used in VW golf Audi A3 etc), in which case won't work on longitudal mid engine apps.

I know there is a later Getrag version of the 01X which is a 2 case design (the 01E & 01X are 3 piece), but seeing as it is pretty new there are no details on it's torque capacity floating around the net.

The 01X was fitted to A4 2.5 V6 TDi FWD cars as I have seen one.
This, at 310nm, is below the 01X max torque capacity of 330nm.

Now my Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 generates over 400nm in stardard form so it is indeed exceeding the torque capacity. Now i don't do standing starts or beat it round the track so it is holding up fine, if I was to really abuse it then I expect the centre bearing carrier to complain at some point.

Scott, have you got a photo of the gearbox you are trying to get direct form VW/Audi as I would be intered to see what it looks like compared to an 01E/01X ?

Hilly

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I was under the impression that 02A gearboxes were for FWD transverse applications (as used in VW golf Audi A3 etc), in which case won't work on longitudal mid engine apps.

I know there is a later Getrag version of the 01X which is a 2 case design (the 01E & 01X are 3 piece), but seeing as it is pretty new there are no details on it's torque capacity floating around the net.

The 01X was fitted to A4 2.5 V6 TDi FWD cars as I have seen one.
This, at 310nm, is below the 01X max torque capacity of 330nm.

Now my Audi ABZ 4.2 V8 generates over 400nm in standard form so it is indeed exceeding the torque capacity. Now i don't do standing starts or beat it round the track so it is holding up fine, if I was to really abuse it then I expect the centre bearing carrier to complain at some point.

Scott, have you got a photo of the gearbox you are trying to get direct form VW/Audi as I would be intered to see what it looks like compared to an 01E/01X ?

Hilly

The 0A2/0A3 is the 2 case successor the 01E/01X, however the 01X and 0A2 are used side by side in different models, but both have been replaced by an even newer gearbox that moves the output shaft closer to the engine.

0A2 = FWD 0A3 = AWD

It is interesting that the 01X was used behind the 2.5 tdi however in the 2.7 and 3.0 models they used an Automatic or the 0A2. The V8 S4/RS4 also uses an AWD version of the 0A2/0A3.

Here's a quattro version of an 0A3 gearbox.
0A3.jpg

Here's an image of the newest 6 speed manual box.

new%20gearbox.jpg

We also are working on a dog/syncro kit for the 01E at prices that are far less than stock parts.

01e%20Dog%202.jpg

The 02A is the FWD VW/Audi transverse 5 speed.

Another interesting tid bit is that the Caymen uses an 01X, and the more powerful S uses a variant of the 0A2.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, VW/Audi using the same numbers/letters, but in different orders, very sneaky :)

Well yet another interesting tid bit I have come across is that the W12 Bentley Continental gearbox uses a 01E looky-likey front casing with a strengthening plate.........

Hilly

So I hope this is not a stupid question but can the 3:55 R&P be put in an Audi 016 5N gearbox? I have a 4:11 in mine and the 3:55 would be a huge improvement. Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have several 016s in my garage here in Seattle (AAZ, 5N, AFC), let me know if you're interested in one to monkey around with (ratios, LSD, etc.).

Cliff

Ahhhh, VW/Audi using the same numbers/letters, but in different orders, very sneaky :)

Well yet another interesting tid bit I have come across is that the W12 Bentley Continental gearbox uses a 01E looky-likey front casing with a strengthening plate.........

Hilly

Isn't the Bentley Continental an automatic though?

thanks chaps, but this is once again not going where i was expecting it to!

apart from Brett's reply, is there anyone else with "useful advice"? i am in no position to import boxes, or to build a gearbox from parts shipped from the four corners of the earth, i am just looking to buy the best possible off-the-shelf 6 speed audi diesel box to go onto my ford 302 windsor, that's it!

sure you understand. much appreciated.
cheers all.

hi Joe,
try for an o1e dqs,frk,arx and cyb there are some others but these ones should not be to had to get they were out of cars upto around 2000.
cheers
Ali

Scott,

I cant really tell by the pics, but those look like auto boxes????

Good catch the first one was an Auto and I've changed that, the second I've change to a better picture, where you can see the slave cylinder and selector shaft. Audi moved the output of the trans significantly forward meaning the engine can go rearward. I hope to get a few of these Stateside and start messing with them. They appeared to be used in 08 and up A5 and A4 cars.

So what you are saying is the 02a hasnt been proven yet????

Not proven but rather the 0A2 doesn't have the hisitory the 01E has. The 0A2 was used for 5 years in production vehicles (2003-2008), and the 01E was used for nearly 12 (1991-2003).

From what I have found, that is actually the new Audi S-tronic gearbox...a 7-speed dual-clutch box.

What I don't know is who makes it. Any leads?

Can you tell me what the name of this box is and who makes it?

It's the 0B4 variant used in most new Audi vehicles, and is a 6 speed manual gearbox. There is also an automatic version and a 7 speed DSG like gearbox called the S-Tronic. They are either made by Aisin, Getrag, or ZF.

Scott,
Does this box come as a front wheel drive only? With the output close to the engine like that it will really offer some possibilities.

Here's an 0B4 up against an 01X.

The 0B4 came attached to an S5 engine I bought, the S5 is going into the 356 with the 01X attached.

The 0B4 is massive and HEAVY.

717.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

Guys, does anyone have more info on the 0B1 boxes. TQ ratings / Ratios / Codes?

I want to swap to an 0B1 so that I can use the original clutch, and to reduce driveshaft angle.

I know that the following codes exist, KBZ, JJF, LLV, KXP but dont have any info on the TQ rating or ratios. Most importantly, I want to know if there are differences in TQ ratings between each of these codes, or does the code only represent a ratio difference.

I obviously want the toughest box I can get my hands on, I expect this would be the one used on the 2.7TDI.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• OB1.jpg
    OB1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,014
Last edited:
The OB1 is used on 2.0, 2.7 and 3.0 tdi cars with FWD. It is a very wide gearbox, not helping drive shaft angles.

With regards to strength I have yet to see any published numbers, and no internal parts are offered at this time, aside from seals if there are any problems just write a cheque and get a new one. I've got a few at the shop that I'm not to sure what to do with.

Where did you source the pilot bearing? Did it require an adaptor or something due to difference in shaft length? Was that the only change from an 016 needed to install it?

From the picture, it appears the shift linkage would be in a different location than the 016 trannsmissions (gasoline engine). Where is the linkage located on yours?

I like those ratios!
Thanks for sharing. it's great

Back