Which trailer to transport a GT40?

We used to have a Brian James RS3 enclosed trailer which was primarily used to transport a Radical but was also used to transport the GT40. The '40 was loaded backwards and there was no problem getting in and out - in fact it was often driven on to and off the trailer rather than using the winch. The towing was done with a diesel Nissan X-Trail, which has a towing limit of 2000 kgs. It could easily cruise at a comfortable 70 mph, but of course you are not allowed to tow a trailer that fast in the UK and also France!

I can't speak too highly of Brian James and their customer service. If you order a new trailer from them, they are happy to incorporate any modifications you might want and will even suggest solutions to any problems with loading, etc. that you might have. They have a very good reputation throughout Europe and my personal experience of 2 of their trailers is that they hold their value well and are easy to sell on when that time comes.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a 27' enclosed trailer, no problem getting in and out, just crawl through the crack in the door and step over the hinge of the door.

We spent the night in Lemon Colorado last summer, a bad hail storm pasted over, I was glad I had an enclosed as it was bad enough to bust out the roof vent.

those people at Lambo Rijssen (Netherlands) have also interesting car transporters, klick on a picture and more sorts of those types come in sight.

say for example some can open also on the side so you can always stap out, or open on top or are see through transporters etc etc etc>

Lambo Rijssen Kunststoffen bv - vezel versterkt polyester

ah, guess this is the direct link, otherwise click on space track transport trailers, click on a picture and way more pictures of different styles of that type.

http://www.lamborijssen.nl/blad 15 04 v1.htm

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have a 27' enclosed trailer, no problem getting in and out, just crawl through the crack in the door and step over the hinge of the door.

We spent the night in Lemon Colorado last summer, a bad hail storm pasted over, I was glad I had an enclosed as it was bad enough to bust out the roof vent.

Limon right? You guys should have stopped over. It would have been a more spirited drive than Monterey

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Yes Limon, sorry about that. :) The place looked very nice so we pulled over to stay, then found out everything was new due to a tornado that came through. Very expensive gas there too. If you remember Richard from Idaho was with me, we where to be at the SPF meet but due to a death our family I could not make it, we where making tracts to Idaho so Richard could drive his car to our place in Norcal.

Attachments

• cal house aug 20113.jpg
    cal house aug 20113.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Neil,
I had a Brian James trailer, 74" wide bed and I believe 14ft overall. I always loaded backwards with the nose just overhanging the back of the trailer. Over the years I carried well over 15 different GT40s on it and the only one I had a problem with was Martin Potts car because of the width of his rear tyres. We did manage to get it on by swapping the wheels over on one side. I had a couple of post jacks that fitted into the oval strap holes on the sides at the front. By jacking from there (still with the Jeep Cherokee attached) I could usually get enough angle to not ground the car. Otherwise I would use a block and short scaffold boards under the ends of the ramps. The trailer mudguards are low enough to be able to open the car doors when loaded.

Brian.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hi Neil,
I had a Brian James trailer, 74" wide bed and I believe 14ft overall. I always loaded backwards with the nose just overhanging the back of the trailer. Over the years I carried well over 15 different GT40s on it and the only one I had a problem with was Martin Potts car because of the width of his rear tyres. We did manage to get it on by swapping the wheels over on one side. I had a couple of post jacks that fitted into the oval strap holes on the sides at the front. By jacking from there (still with the Jeep Cherokee attached) I could usually get enough angle to not ground the car. Otherwise I would use a block and short scaffold boards under the ends of the ramps. The trailer mudguards are low enough to be able to open the car doors when loaded.

Brian.
Brian are you limited on width in the UK? I think most of the trailers here in the US are about 83-84 between the wheel wells.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Jack,

The only regulation regarding the width of a trailer in the UK that I can see is that the maximum overall width must not exceed 2.55m (100.4"). See below:-

"If the towing vehicle has a permissible gross weight in excess of 3.5 tonnes the maximum width and length of the trailer are 2.55 metres and 12 metres respectively. If, however, the gross weight of the towing vehicle is 3.5 tonnes or less, then the maximum permissible width and length are 2.55 metres and 7 metres respectively. In both cases, the overall length of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed either 18m or 18.75m depending on the type of towing vehicle."

Brian.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hi Jack,

The only regulation regarding the width of a trailer in the UK that I can see is that the maximum overall width must not exceed 2.55m (100.4").

Brian.

Thats about the same as we have here, I've been to some countries where the road would not permit a full size American truck.:shy:

Thanks for answering my question. :thumbsup:

Back