Whitch audi box for the audi 4.2L

Whitch audi gear box is good to bolt on an audi 4.2L v8?
I`m gone use the car in an 600kg midengine singleseater race car for track days.

Saludos
Jan K

Hi Jan mine was an ex 3 ltr diesel, but from what I've managed to find out its the same box in most of the diesels from 2ltr up and some of the bigger petrol turbos, its only the ratios that can vary. that's all I've managed to find out so far.
cheers John

Hi Jan mine was an ex 3 ltr diesel, but from what I've managed to find out its the same box in most of the diesels from 2ltr up and some of the bigger petrol turbos, its only the ratios that can vary. that's all I've managed to find out so far.
cheers John

Thank you John, It`s gone be easy to find une over her in Spain as the most off the cars are diesel over her. Salu2 Jan K

The 01E or 0A3 were mated behind the V8's from the factory. The 01X and 012 were all 4 cylinder gas and diesel and 6 cyl gas only, the 6 cyl diesels got 01E's for the most part.

Just about any manual box will bolt up, however the 012 has one of the lowest torque ratings.

I agree with Scott, the only reason I also suggested the 01X is because someone else did it in an Esprit.

Depending on which 4.2L engine you are using you could also use the gearbox out of the Audi R8. These are really nice gearboxes, let me know if you want to take a look at this option. Cost should be about $15K with clutch, flywheel and adapter, give or take I think.

We are still in the process of working out all of the details on this right now.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work

Depending on which 4.2L engine you are using you could also use the gearbox out of the Audi R8. These are really nice gearboxes, let me know if you want to take a look at this option. Cost should be about $15K with clutch, flywheel and adapter, give or take I think.

We are still in the process of working out all of the details on this right now.

Erik Johnson
(303) 440-8899 work

So, it's $5K for a clutch, adapter and flywheel?

On the FFCars site, you say the gearbox is $10K.

It's the GT40s/SLC tax ;)

I find it interesting that an Audi V8 would need an adaptor to run a box that was designed to run behind an Audi V8 to begin with...the pictures I have of the various generations of Audi V8 all appear to have the exact same bolt pattern.

It's the GT40s/SLC tax ;)

I find it interesting that an Audi V8 would need an adaptor to run a box that was designed to run behind an Audi V8 to begin with...the pictures I have of the various generations of Audi V8 all appear to have the exact same bolt pattern.

Unless you are using the R8 engine, the R8 gearbox will not bolt up to any other Audi Engine.

However for the most parts the other Audi V8 engines have two bolt patterns, early and later bell housing dimensions, and the earlier pattern (up to ~2005) will fit most Audi gearboxes made.

We are still in the process of working out the clutch options, and there is some hope that we will be able to offer less expensive options here shortly, right now the R8 clutch and release bearing runs about $3400.00 but it seems like it will be up to the task of holding quite a bit of HP and Torque. We are still working out the adapter which may not be as pricey to make as we thought originally. So that initial cost is probably a bit high, sorry about that.

Looks like a really good option though.

Erik

The engine that I have bought is an S4 343hp motor and what I need is a gear box that work on a the track without failures. I dont need a top speed in much more than 250km/h.
This is a low budget track car just to have fun on the local championship on the Canary islands

Gracias Jan K

The price for the Wavetrac diff looks great but does it lock on acceleration/deceleration like race diff (50/80%)?
I have been racing with Porsche for years using GT diffs (Guard Transmission |). And as you need a good traction when you reduce goes in to the curves the work well and that's the reason why diffs the quaife doesn't work well for racing.

How about the Wavetrac?

Gracias
Jan
rsr-racing.net

Last edited:
The price for the Wavetrac diff looks great but does it lock on acceleration/deceleration like race diff (50/80%)?
I have been racing with Porsche for years using GT diffs (Guard Transmission |). And as you need a good traction when you reduce goes in to the curves the work well and that's the reason why diffs the quaife doesn't work well for racing.

How about the Wavetrac?

Gracias
Jan
rsr-racing.net

Wavetrac diffs are not "Locking" but rather torque biasing and will bias torque on decel as well as accel. What is unique to the wavetrac is it employs a set of clutch packs on each end of the gear cluster which act as an lsd in near zero torque situations.

Back