who makes a complete kit?

Hi, I've been looking around the forum, lots of great info! Does anyone know which of the manufactuers makes a complete kit with everything in it, and I mean everything?

I'm in Victoria in Australia and we have a club scheme where you can get a replica on the road without all of that registration and compliance hasle, so it doesn't need like the latest green n clean engine etc, a 289 or 302 would be perfect!

Our dollar is doing pretty awseome at the moment, it's actaully higher than the US dollar so it's a good time to buy. I reckon it might be cheaper to buy a complete kit from America or England than to buy one of the local ones.

Thanks!
Brian

ERA has always had one of the very best GT40 replicas available, and they make it available as a kit for the DIY types. The problem is (or at least was) a very extensive wait (often several years). I don't know how the relative flood of CAV and SPF GT40s has influenced the ERA situation. But if I was planning on screwing together a GT40 on my own, this is the only one I'd consider:

http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If I were going to be buying a kit, I'd make the decision based on how complete the kit is...cost would be a secondary factor.

Take a look at the Tornado kits....scope out Scott's "# 875" build thread. The purpose of his build thread was to show what could be made of a Tornado kit with only the kit parts...looks quite complete to me!

You won't find a manufacturer who (currently) offers a turn-key option that is all built in-house. Some of the manufacturers will provide a "turn-key minus roller" and a list of places where they recommend you have the mechanicals (typically the engine and transaxle) installed. It is a two stage process...that keeps the kit manufacturers from having to comply with current safety standards, like the 5mph bumpers, etc.

IIRC, Tornado also includes a transaxle in their kits. This CAN be a big deal, depending on how much you want to do in terms of equipment searches.

Other dealers whose kits are fairly complete, although not to the level of the Tornado as I understand it, are RCR, CAV, Superformance...."turn-key minus rollers" available from all, I think.

Of the whole lot mentioned so far, IMHO the ERA is the gold-standard. However, they do have limitations....the most common advice on the forum regarding kit completion is to decide which transaxle you want to use and buy the kit that supports that transaxle. Not all companies support all transaxles, and that can be the most important part of the build, as well as one of the most expensive.

Good luck.....please keep us posted on your search and choice....we all face the same "forks in the road" as you are about to face.

BTW....RCR has a representative in Australia, I think.

Cheers from Doug!!

Last edited:
ERA has always had one of the very best GT40 replicas available, and they make it available as a kit for the DIY types. The problem is (or at least was) a very extensive wait (often several years). I don't know how the relative flood of CAV and SPF GT40s has influenced the ERA situation. But if I was planning on screwing together a GT40 on my own, this is the only one I'd consider:

http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

Hey thanks for the info. I checked it out and it says Except for the drive-train, wheels and some standard suspension components, everything necessaryto complete a finished automobile is there.

I don't want to chase up those bits if I can avoid it. Really I'm after a kit that contains every thing. But still, yeah that looks pretty good. I wouldn't want to wait several years but.

Brian

If I were going to be buying a kit, I'd make the decision based on how complete the kit is...cost would be a secondary factor.

Take a look at the Tornado kits....scope out Scott's "# 875" build thread. The purpose of his build thread was to show what could be made of a Tornado kit with only the kit parts...looks quite complete to me!

You won't find a manufacturer who (currently) offers a turn-key option that is all built in-house. Some of the manufacturers will provide a "turn-key minus roller" and a list of places where they recommend you have the mechanicals (typically the engine and transaxle) installed. It is a two stage process...that keeps the kit manufacturers from having to comply with current safety standards, like the 5mph bumpers, etc.

IIRC, Tornado also includes a transaxle in their kits. This CAN be a big deal, depending on how much you want to do in terms of equipment searches.

Other dealers whose kits are fairly complete, although not to the level of the Tornado as I understand it, are RCR, CAV, Superformance...."turn-key minus rollers" available form all, I think.

Of the whole lot mentioned so far, IMHO the ERA is the gold-standard. However, they do have limitations....the most common advice on the forum regarding kit completion is to decide which transaxle you want to use and buy the kit that supports that transaxle. Not all companies support all transaxles, and that can be the most important part of the build, as well as one of the most expensive.

Good luck.....please keep us posted on your search and choice....we all face the same "forks in the road" as you are about to face.

BTW....RCR has a representative in Australia, I think.

Cheers from Doug!!

Thanks yeah the Tornado one looks good, because it looks like it has everything in the kit. I don't want a factory built car or a roller, I want to build it but I don't want the hassel of looking for parts that might or might not fit or whatever.

Brian

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I don't want a factory built car or a roller, I want to build it but I don't want the hassel of looking for parts that might or might not fit or whatever.
Brian

Well, even the Tornado will require you to chase some parts...the engine, for one, probably the exhaust, tires/wheels, battery, that sort of thing...but the important part is that the kit is built specifically for the transaxle that the company provides. You wouldn't belive the problems transaxles create for these home-built creations.

A word of caution....if you're planning on huge horsepower, the Tornado kit only comes with a "refreshed" transaxle...but they do offer a high-power upgrade.

Just so you know, I'm not associated with Tornado in any way...just in the same boat as you, I'd rather spend my time building rather than chasing parts or paying someone to fab up parts that weren't included.

Here's a link to Scott's build thread, pretty complete:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22724-tornado-ts40-875-a.html

Cheers from Doug!!

Well, even the Tornado will require you to chase some parts...the engine, for one, probably the exhaust, tires/wheels, battery, that sort of thing...but the important part is that the kit is built specifically for the transaxle that the company provides. You wouldn't belive the problems transaxles create for these home-built creations.

A word of caution....if you're planning on huge horsepower, the Tornado kit only comes with a "refreshed" transaxle...but they do offer a high-power upgrade.

Just so you know, I'm not associated with Tornado in any way...just in the same boat as you, I'd rather spend my time building rather than chasing parts or paying someone to fab up parts that weren't included.

Here's a link to Scott's build thread, pretty complete:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22724-tornado-ts40-875-a.html

Cheers from Doug!!

Well I checked out that thread and it looks like the Tornado kit does come with every thng, so when you say that I still have to chase up the engine, exahaust wheels tyres batteries is that bwcause they don't have that package any more? Here's a link to Scottsaying tis got everything in it

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22724-tornado-ts40-875-a-2.html#post218523

So that looks like what I want, but does anyone know if the other gt40 companies make a complete kit like that?

Brian

Indeed I thought so too about the complete car in a box, often I look on their website, its a good website with lots of info and pictures etc, also different chassis options like space frame in the color you choose or alu monoq or even carbon mono.

Tornado Sports Cars Main Page

I can't see Torndao listing a complete car in a box on the website unless i'm looking in the wrong place. Do we just know they do it because of Scotts build?

I would have thought that all the manufacturers would be prepared to put together a complete kit package if requested, after all its where the real profit is, in selling all the finishing items.

There used to be export tax problems to some countries in sending complete cars, i sent a car to America in kit for once, and the customer specifically didn't want the engine to ship with it otherwise he'd have been heavily taxed. That might well have changed now.

D

Keith

Are you a '40 replica manufacturer Darren? If you are, I suggest you declare your interest when discussing other makes..

And perhaps support the forum? :thumbsup:

The car i refer to was a 7 replica.

My comment was meant to open the door to all 40 manufacturers to declare that they can supply a complete kit, given that guys like Southern GT, Tornado, RCR etc seem to supply everything you could want, i would think that most if not all manufacturers would be able to put together a comprehensive kit if that's what was required.

Like i say Tornado don't appear to promote that clearly on their site, but clearly they do it, so might be worth asking your preferred supplier if they can.

On a personal note, i can't!

you can see it in the price-list and in another statement on their website (tornado) that they can deliver a complete car in parts if you wish/order.
so I guess they can.

Thanks for the replies! I've been doing some research on the websites and this is what I've found. I've converted all the prices to aussie dollars.

Roaring Forties
Complete kit less tyres and paint, but everthing else incuding a 5.4L V8.
$116,000
Looks good and is local to me, but a bit pricey.

DRB
Can't see a complete kit on there website. Body Chassis unit for $27,500.

Era
Almost(?) complete kit, but no drivetrain, wheels or suspension. it doesn't say, but perhaps no tyres as well.
I just looked further down their page, and it lists these as missing bits. Engine, transaxle, rack and pinion, rotors and calipers, front and rear coil over dampers, road wheels and tyres, windshield wiper motor assembly, hand brake lever , exhaust system. So, not as complete as I first thought.
About $50,000 for the kit that doesn't have all those parts.

CAVGT
A turnkey-minus, roller. So it's already built, you just have to add a engine and transaxle. Not really what I was after as I wanted a kit but if the price is right it might be suitable.
The website price says March 2003 so I dont know if its still the same price.
$56,800 remember, i'm converting all the prices to Australian dollars
Need to add to that the price of a engine (a 302) and a transaxle. they say RBT 6 speed or Audi getrag 3V

Superperformance
Couldn't find prices on there website. They do a turnkey minus roller, just gotta add the engine and transmission. Again, I really wanted a kit, not a roller.

RCR
The Australian website is down for maintenance, so I can't look at the prices. The USA website is up and they have a Deluxe Plus Kit with lots of parts but also there are lots of parts missing. I think it's a bit like the Era in that regard, no engine transaxle and lots of other stuff.
About $38,200 in Australian money. I think for some reason the Aussie dealer charges somewhere around twice that, so unless I can get it directly from the USA it might be a bit too pricey. Looks really good but.

Tornado
They have a Super Deluxe Component Plus package that I found here http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-m...deluxe-plus-component-package.html#post261348
It has everything, including a 302 V8. Brake fluid too.
$53,800 Aussie dollars for the spaceframe version.
That's less than half the price of the only other full kit I found, the RF.
You have to add the freight, Duty, GST, insurance and that. Two shipments coz you can't send the chassisbody together with the engine, that costs $3,000, duty and GST adds $9,000. That's 12, add a couple more for other costs and you gto 14 or 15 grand all up for the shipping.
So that's about 68 or 69 grand landed. That's about 50 grand less than the RF, coz you also have to add tyres to the RF.

Well that's what I've found so far. I probably missed some, like some really obvious ones. Does anyone know any others? Remember, I'm looking for a kit that contains everything and I don't give a toss about our ADRs.

Brian

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Brian

We do indeed offer full kits containing every last screw, rivet and bolt and like you say it is even supplied with the brake fluid.

If you find an item missing from the kit during the build, no matter how large or small, we will supply it to you free of charge.

This package was called our Super Deluxe Plus but others decided to give their not very complete kits the same name which made them look much cheaper but were in fact £7000 more expensive.

The package was removed to make customers look more carefully at kit contents and to make sure they compared like for like when looking at pricing.

We do supply engines, exhausts, wheels and tyres and can also supply complete turn key cars.

If you can give me the spec of the car you would like to build including any options I will calculate a total cost for you.

Let me know if you need any further info on our cars.

We are about to supply a complete kit to a company who will build the car in a Shopping centre in the UK over a 7 day period as a promotional tool for their products. Thats how complete our kits are.

Thanks

Andy

Really Brian, you have to compare apples to apples to make a decent decision, there is no use comparing a fully ADR compliant RF kit using a current 5.4 to another kit using a 302 that doesn't have to comply with many ADRs. An RF (or any other for that matter) kit stripped of all the ADR equipment will be significantly cheaper than what you tally on the website.

All the kits end up at similar prices for similar levels of equipment, then you have to decide on freight and support. Come in and have a chat if you wish.

Regards Paul

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Superperformance
Couldn't find prices on there website. They do a turnkey minus roller, just gotta add the engine and transmission.

Just to complete the picture for anyone else who may be reading this excellent summary: my recollection is:

$79,000+ (not quite 80, I don't remember the "pocket change" difference), plus (typically)
$13K for an RBT ZF, $15K for a GT40 version Roush 427, $15K for installation, and thus you end up at right about $120K. If you source the engine and transaxle yourself and do the installation yourself (which is not hard), you can do it for under $100K. (All currency figures USD).

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Well so far you're the only one I found that matches my specs. Non-ADR compliant with a 302. Good price too. I've been contacted by some of the other manufacturers who say they can put together a complete kit so we'll see how that goes.

Brian

Brian

We do indeed offer full kits containing every last screw, rivet and bolt and like you say it is even supplied with the brake fluid.

If you find an item missing from the kit during the build, no matter how large or small, we will supply it to you free of charge.

This package was called our Super Deluxe Plus but others decided to give their not very complete kits the same name which made them look much cheaper but were in fact £7000 more expensive.

The package was removed to make customers look more carefully at kit contents and to make sure they compared like for like when looking at pricing.

We do supply engines, exhausts, wheels and tyres and can also supply complete turn key cars.

If you can give me the spec of the car you would like to build including any options I will calculate a total cost for you.

Let me know if you need any further info on our cars.

We are about to supply a complete kit to a company who will build the car in a Shopping centre in the UK over a 7 day period as a promotional tool for their products. Thats how complete our kits are.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Paul,

I get what your saying and yeah I see that if you look at it like that it might seem like an unfair comparison. Thing is, we've now got the club permits in victoria so the car doesn't have to ADR compliant to get it in the roads.

Your car might be worth the extra 50 grand, but it's for stuff that's not needed on the club permit.

I could get the tornado, and with the money save I could buy the missus a new mx-5 and a slap up Chinese meal and be in her good books forever.

Now, you said that a ADR-stripped RF would be significantly cheaper, so have you got that as an option? Like, can you do a club permit special with a 302 for around 70 grand all up? It might be worth adding something like that to your catalogue.

Brian

Really Brian, you have to compare apples to apples to make a decent decision, there is no use comparing a fully ADR compliant RF kit using a current 5.4 to another kit using a 302 that doesn't have to comply with many ADRs. An RF (or any other for that matter) kit stripped of all the ADR equipment will be significantly cheaper than what you tally on the website.

All the kits end up at similar prices for similar levels of equipment, then you have to decide on freight and support. Come in and have a chat if you wish.

Regards Paul

Hi Alan thanks for the info. Is it on there website coz I couldn't find it. So I add that up to be 79+13+15=107 which is about $97500 Australian. It's more much more than what I want to spend but good for comparison.

Brian

Just to complete the picture for anyone else who may be reading this excellent summary: my recollection is:

$79,000+ (not quite 80, I don't remember the "pocket change" difference), plus (typically)
$13K for an RBT ZF, $15K for a GT40 version Roush 427, $15K for installation, and thus you end up at right about $120K. If you source the engine and transaxle yourself and do the installation yourself (which is not hard), you can do it for under $100K. (All currency figures USD).

Back