why not an FE427SOHC?

I have searched and cannot find an answer.

why hasn't anybody done an FE 427 SOHC?

Anybody in AZ have a Superformance GT40?

with an FE?

sorry I posted this in the drivetrain area rather than engines

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "cammer" would require a bunch of engineering to go in . As the heads "splay" compared to the standard FE head it puts the headers down into the tub. I am sure it can be done if you want to throw cubic money at it. Not sure about an FE SPF in Arizona, I will try to find out and let you know.

See the cam sprockets? They're going to eat through your shoulderblades...

Wiki_66_SOHC_timing_chain_and_cam.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It would be very hard to make a SOHC motor fit in the car, and you wouldn't have a whole lot more power than you'd have with a good 427 buildup. And I don't think you can get an alloy-block SOHC motor, although maybe someone's done it. You'd certainly have the only one if you did it....

It would be very hard to make a SOHC motor fit in the car, and you wouldn't have a whole lot more power than you'd have with a good 427 buildup. And I don't think you can get an alloy-block SOHC motor, although maybe someone's done it. You'd certainly have the only one if you did it....

Genesis, and Shelby make aluminum blocks. Kirkham makes a billet alumium block. Bill Coon makes aluminum SOHC heads. Pond makes blocks and SOHC heads , but have had problems with porosity.

Back