Will a 5.4L ford supercharged modular motor in SLC

How much modifications would be required to fit a 5.4L 4V motor with Kenne Bell 3.6L LC supercharger into either chassis?

I have a built motor sitting in my garage right now, that was to go in to a different car, but plans have changed for that car. I figure there will be some body work that will have to be modified for this to fit, which is not a issue for me.

The motor has been stroked to 5.8L and has Aviad billet dry-sump pan and 4 stage pump.

I have been in contact about modifying the supercharger for a rear TB position like the GT used, waiting to find out if this is possible, if not I already know that Whippler has a kit to upgrade the factory supercharger on those cars and would just have to get ahold of a used intake and supercharger for the needed parts.

The next issue would be finding a transaxle that can handle the power as a stock motor with the 3.6L supercharger depending on tune will make between 800-1000hp at 15-18 psi, with the supercharger I currently am looking at.

Easy answer, you need a Ricardo transaxle (original Ford GT) this also allows you to not need an adapter for the install. Merely needing only a spacer for the mid-mounting of the drive train. Should be nice, although finding a Ricardo these days is a bit tough.

My Ricardo is connected to a supercharged World Products LSX7

Finding a Ricardo transaxle is not easy, I have been looking and if they are out there, they want more than a full race transaxle.
I figure a Griffen will be the best bet right now with out going for a full race one.

My biggest concern is due to the width of the engine and how it will fit with in the chassis. I already figure the rear window area will have to be modified due to the height of the engine.. Which is not a issue as I like the look of the black-out style panel instead of the regular window. So going with this option I can reshape the panel as need to fit.

As long as I can ensure the engine fits with out to many issues. I figure I can work with everything else as needed.

We have fitted modular and also Coyote engines...along with the LSA and LS9's into the engine bay....you are correct in that the rear window area will need modifying...but without having one here and knowing your immediate supercharger config. I cannot say a true yes or no...but I am pretty confident it will...

Yes you can buy Ricardos new from Ford as long as you can beg , borrow or steal a VIN number from a GT....thyey are approx 17k retail currently....new.

Steve

Supporter
Rebeca,

I also contacted Kenne Bell re: a rear mount throttle body rather than their mammoth throttle body. They said they didn't have a rear mount and weren't planning on making one either. Whipple may be the best bet.

I would think the biggest issue would be with the fit of the front dress/supercharger pulley. Width might be tight too.....

You might consider switching to a Turbo? I have a KB 2.8 on my 4.6 in my stang and it adds significant hight to the motor. Enough I had to get a 2.5in cowl hood to clear. Of course you know this as you have the engine in your garage :) . I think it would cost less not having to modify the body but still getting your power goal. Just a thought.

Rebeca,

I also contacted Kenne Bell re: a rear mount throttle body rather than their mammoth throttle body. They said they didn't have a rear mount and weren't planning on making one either. Whipple may be the best bet.

I would think the biggest issue would be with the fit of the front dress/supercharger pulley. Width might be tight too.....

The advantage of the Kenne-Bell supercharger is that it has a rear inlet by design. You just have to get a sheet-metal or CNC'd aluminum TB adapter to the SC mouth. It's really cool, and arguably easier to use than the traditional Magnuson ones, which have a front-inlet.

Just look at their kits, and you'll that every one has a custom elbow that brings the TB back to the front of the engine. You'd just have to make a simpler one that goes straight (and back), instead of curving back to the front.

They even have a C6 kit that has the right manifold for (I think) LS3-based engines.

I am figuring with the width of the mod motor already, using turbos will take up even more of the limited amount of space.

Yes it does add height to the engine, the oil pan I am using from Aviaid is there new billet version and is only about 1 1/2" tall so this will allow for the engine to sit lower.

We already have the engine set-up with low mount alt and a/c compressor along with the dry sump pump, as we had plans to put the engine in a different car. Only change we would make right now is to use a remote water pump block-off plate, instead of the block mounted pump we are using right now.

I will get my husband to pull the TB plenum off the supercharger and see if we can figure something out on our own, as I work with solid works and Auto-cad. I will see what I can draw up and see what it will cost to have machined if we have to go that way.

Kenne Bell Superchargers replied to my inquiry this morning. As expected they are unable to provide the TB plenum that we would need.

I will start working on a drawing and design as soon as I can to come up with a option of my own for this.

Will post drawings of a few ideas as soon as I can.

Steve

Supporter
Rebeca,

If you move forward with this, let me know. I might be interested in one too. More volume usually equals a lower price. :thumbsup: I have a 4.6L mod V8 that I'd be interested in supercharging but it would have to be a rear-facing throttle body too.

I will keep people in mind as we move forward. I know a few others that would like on also.

I wil be designing it for KB's Mammoth 2350cfm (79mm x168mm) sized throttle body, they carry both TBW and regular cable style blades.

I hope to have a design and a plastic prototype made by the end of next month, as we are in the process of moving to a house with a larger garage/shop for our different projects.

Steve

Supporter
That sounds great. KB was completely uninterested in doing a one-off for me and the Whipple with the rear-facing TB doesn't fit on the 4.6L as it's only for the 5.4.

Back