Willwood 6 pot calipers

hello together,

can someone advice me how to bleed the brake system?
Only have a valve on the top of each caliper - when opening them and pump the pedal, as done with conventional systems, I only get some drops of brake fluid at the bottom of the caliper, where no valve is mounted.
Thus nothing will change with the brake perfomance, pedal feeling remains "pasty".
Please help urgently!!:shout:

From Wilwood

Wilwood calipers with internal fluid passages and four bleed screws (two on each end) require only the upward facing bleed screws to be bled. Start bleeding the bleed screw farthest from master cylinder (typically the right rear caliper outboard half), and work towards the one nearest the master cylinder.

The most common method to bleed a system is to manually pump the pedal. This process is as follows: Pedal bleeding requires two people; one person pumps the pedal, and the other operates the bleed valves. First, connect a plastic hose to the valve on the outboard body bleed screw farthest away from the master cylinder. Submerge the other end of the hose in a container of brake fluid to ensure that no air is siphoned back into the system. Have the person in the vehicle depress the pedal and hold it at the floor. With the pedal on the floor, the person at the caliper should open the bleed screw 1/4 of a turn to allow the accumulated air and fluid to evacuate. Once the air and fluid have stopped flowing out of the bleeder valve, close it. Now, the person in the vehicle should slowly pump the pedal to refill the calipers with fluid. Once a firm pedal has been achieved, the pedal operator should depress the pedal and hold it, repeating the above sequence. Make sure that the reservoir of the master cylinder does not run out of fluid, as this will introduce air into the system. Continue in this manner until all calipers are bled on both the inboard and outboard bleed screw. You may have to repeat the process for optimal results. Three other methods to bleed a system are gravity, pressure and vacuum.

Oil,
I am assuming you have calipers similar if not the same as mine.

P1010062.jpg

P1010063-1.jpg

To bleed them with the results you have given. Tighten up the bottom connector line.This should be tight unless you have taken them apart for some reason, but it sound as though you are leaking fluid here. If it is tight then you aren't bleeding them correctly. So here goes. Two ways to do it. By yourself or with a helper.
First, if you are doing this by yourself. You will need the following supplies.
1. A board that is long enough to push the pedal to the front panel and wedge it against something, the seat or the rear firewall, so it will keep the pedal against the panel, as seen here.
P1010068-1.jpg

P1010069-2.jpg

2. A brake bleeder kit such as this one.

P1010064.jpg

3. Set it up like this. I am showing my rear wheel because the tire is off. The procedure is the same.

P1010066.jpg

The tube to the caliper is the one that goes to the cap that has a tube that goes deep into the catch bottle.

Here are the steps if you have two master cylinders for front and back. Start with the rear wheel that is the greatest distance from the master cylinder.
1.Top off your brake reservoir to the rear brakes.
2. Put the bleeder tube to the outside caliper.
3. Open the valve that the bleeder tube is attached to.
4. Use the board to compress the brake pedal against the front panel or as far as the balance bar will let you go.
5. Close the bleed valve.
6. Release the board and allow the pedal to return to its normal position.
7 Repeat 3-6 several times. Don't allow the reservoir to run dry. Keep brake fluid in the reservoir. When done, tighten the valve closed.
Now go to the inside reservoir of that wheel and repeat the process. When finished go to the other rear wheel and do the same for it. Outside valve first, inside last.
When done with the rear wheels go to the front wheels. Choose the wheel furtherest from the master cylinder and repeat the process for the front wheels, of course selecting the front wheel reservoir.
If you set up the bleeder correctly it will eventually fill up and run back into the brake fluid jug. The cup is just to show you that your doing it correctly, and it keeps you from aspirating air back into the system if you screw up and leave the valve open when you release the pedal.
Try this procedure and then try out the brakes. They should give better performance. If you don't get better performance your balance bar may be off.
If you have a helper, the procedure is the same except you have someone that can compress the pedal for you.
Hope this helps you out.

Bill

thanks a lot Al and Bill for advices and description.
After investigation of my system, due to your description, I found out that I´ve got two bleed valves on each side which were hidden behind the wheets. After re assembling of them I got free passage to perform the bleeding procedure.
Now it seems to be fine, let´s see at the next ride...

greetings to the US guys

Back