Wilwood rear brakes

I am looking at fitting rear Wilwood calipers but will need a handbrake, I know there is a Corvette caliper (think it is a superlite 4 pot) but I think this uses a drum type mechanism but not sure? What I want is a 4 pot (or 6 if available) with an integral hand brake mechanism avoiding any drum type mechanism - just a disc, hat and caliper? Any body got any recommendations of what is the best Wilwood item to use?

Best Regards

John Kyle

Do you have any cad drawings for the caliper? Or would they be the same as the normal Wilwood Powerlite calipers???

Can you tell me what hub and hat combination you used as I want to use a Timken corvetter hub which has a PCD of 4.75" but Wilwood dont seem to make a hat to cover this. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I am basicly in the same predicament. I have the C4 hubs and wilwood does not make anything other than the rotors, and I believe they are plain face, no slots or drilled faces. My question is, is it easier to convert to the C5 hubs of should I try to do as Fran suggest and contact a machine shop? Wilwood has a setup for the C5s just not the C4s, go figure!! Has anyone done this conversion? I would like to have matching brakes front and rear. Are there any other brands that would work. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
How about a line lock and BillD fitted, or a spring loaded arm that holds down the brake pedal? I don't know if I'll have to have one for inspection or not, sort of depends on where I go for that. I wonder if a cantilever that jacks up a rear wheel will work?

You can get hub bearing units from Timken for the Corvette C5 but I am still not sure if there is a hat with a 4.75" PCD from Wilwood that will work with the RD/Wilwood rear caliper with in built handbrake

I talked with Wilwood on Thurs. and they confirmed they have a rear setup for the C5. Unfortunately my cell phone died while the tech was getting the mounting dimensions for me. Now I have to decide if upgrading is cost effective. Am still in search of something for the C4. I contacted the company that Brett has suggested. They should be getting back to me Monday or Tues. I asked if they had anything for the C4 OR C5. Will post as soon as I hear.

Bill

A big thank you to Frank who gave me some bearing carriers with the right dimensions on the lugs. Now, can anyone give any tips for me for taking my hubs apart before I break stuff?? I've done it before, but not with only the hub and spindle attached, and I am trying to work out the best way to get the nut undone...

Brett

Brett,
I am assuming you are dealing with the Corvette hub. If so, then that is put on with a healthy bit of torque. I seem to remember it at around 150 Ft lbs. I could be wrong. You might consult a repair manual to know the real #. You will need a cheater bar on the wrench or socket wrench, if you don't have the proper air wrench.
Which hub do you have. Is Hi spec furnishing the calipers?

Bill

brettmcc said:
A big thank you to Frank who gave me some bearing carriers with the right dimensions on the lugs. Now, can anyone give any tips for me for taking my hubs apart before I break stuff?? I've done it before, but not with only the hub and spindle attached, and I am trying to work out the best way to get the nut undone...

Brett

Brett, I have just been thru that process with my 300zx hub's, To undo the hub nut's I welded a piece of 3/8" flat which had the stud pattern & a clearance hole for the hub centre to a piece of 2" RHS about 3ft long. Bolt this on to your wheel studs and use a 3/4" drive single hex socket and breaker bar. Check for LH/RH threads.

Jac Mac

Bill, John,
I've posted pics of my Rears in my Build page.

John,
To answer your question, I have used a standard Granada Cosworth rear disc.

Brett

Back