Wiper Issue

My MKll wiper rest position is on the drivers side....which is not correct. Before I pull the switch, does anyone have any solutions. Is it just a matter of reversing the power leads?

Brian

Attachments

• Wiper Pic.jpg
    Wiper Pic.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 391
I am assuming that the SPF uses the original-style wiper mechanism, which was a Lucas motor, as used in a billion different British and Italian cars (including the Pantera, naturally).

There is a gear in the motor which translates the rotational motion of the wiper motor into in-and-out motion of the wiper drive cable. Apparently it's fairly simple to reverse the direction of the wiper action, which in turn reverses the side upon which the wiper parks. All that has to be done is to open the motor up, remove the gear, flip it over and reinstall it.

Having said that, I've never actually done it. I'm going to ping a friend of mine who has, and get specific directions. He sent them to me in an e-mail a few weeks ago and I deleted it a few weeks ago. :sad:

Stay tuned...

Okay, that didn't take long.

Take a look at this photo of the drive gear:

main.php

My buddy Bill Taylor sent it to me and wrote:

Mike,

Yes, of course, we want to change where the damn things park. We don't want to change the direction they travel. The clever little things do that all by themselves already.

See the attached photo.

After you have removed the rear cover, lift the round metal part off the two square drive pegs on the plastic part.

Rotate the metal part thru 180 degrees and put it back on the square drive pegs of the plastic part. You will need to move the housing as you rotate the round metal part because the drive cable is rigid.

The parking cam is now in the opposite position with respect to the wiper blade position from when you started. The wipers will park on the opposite end of their travel than they did before you made the swap.

Install the back cover.

In order to remount the housing to the car chassis you will need to physically move the wipers to the new parking position.

It is as simple as that.

Have fun

SOBill Taylor
[email protected]

Brian:
My Lucas motor looks very similar. The cover has a cap with terminals on it, there is a wiper contact on the rotating assembly that follows a ring inside the cover. The riing goes almost 360 deg around and is kept hot at all times, the small segment that is not live is switched on and off to start and stop the motor. When the motor is switched on it gets power from the small segment and the complete ring, and as long as the power is on it keeps rotating. When the power is turned off the motor runs until it finds the dead spot and stops. This is the park position.
If you rotate the cover when the motor is off the arm follows it...its really quite a neat arrangement. the motor engages and keeps finding the dead contact.
The cover is held by a sheet steel clamp and small screws and only need to be loosened a bit to turn it.
Mine may be different than your setup, but I beleive most of the Lucas motors are very similar except for angle of sweep.
It may be as simple as that, if not Mikes directions are right on the mark also...either way you should be up and wiping in no time.
Good luck
Phil

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the standard Lucas wiper motor, which was used in the GT40; is this what Superformance is using?

17001B.jpg

The parking function wiring is rather bizarre. Low-speed operation and high-speed operation are both straightforward--power runs through the dash switch to the wiper motor, then to ground. But when you turn the switch off, to park the wipers, power runs from the dash switch, to the wiper motor, through a contact switch, back to the switch on the dash, and then back to the low speed wire to the motor again.

So when you turn the switch off, the power runs to the motor, back to the switch, and back to the motor, keeping it running until the gearbox hits the kill switch, which interrupts the power going from the motor to the switch, which in turn doesn't send the power back to the motor, so it stops!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,
The motor in your picture is not a standard GT40 wiper assembly and looks like a Leyland or late Jaguar motor.
The correct GT40 MKI motor assembly by Lucas is shown below and the switching is similar.
Of course the later cars used the Boeing motor.

Attachments

• gt40 Wiper Motors.jpg
    gt40 Wiper Motors.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
I stand very much corrected--thanks! :thumbsup:

I've only glanced at the wiper motors on a few replicas, and believe they are of the Lucas/Jaguar/Pantera/whatever style that I pictured. Now that you've mentioned it, I realize I haven't paid close attention to the setup used on the genuine cars.

Having said that, it appears from your photo above that the gear mechanism philosophy is the same, and that the wiper direction could be replaced on the original cars too, by the same means as SOBill detailed above.

So whichever style the SPF uses (and can somebody share that with us?) it seems we're covered.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,
Agreed mate and well covered.
The mechanics are very similar and the only difference in the gear drive is the worm gear on the Jag rotor set up.
That canned motor on yours appears to have better protection against water ingress than the original set-up.

Personally I don't like the Lucas ones and will use a MKII Boeing motor and drive.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Available for a song from your nearest Boeing aircraft scrapyard? :laugh:

Absolutely Mike,
The used ones can do with a lick of fresh paint and new grease but they work just fine.

Attachments

• MKII Wiper System.jpg
    MKII Wiper System.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Wiper Converter Restored 002.jpg
    Wiper Converter Restored 002.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 375

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
James

I believe that is a replacement blade
Boeing ones have no "leaf springs" and adjust using a thumb screw
(Certainly all the ones I have seen have been)

Ian

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
Sure, that is an original GT40 blade and not the stiff Boeing 727 version. I don't think that the MKII blade was from the Boeing and I have the procuement part numbers somewhere.
The set-up in the first picture of mine is exactly like the one in the SAE paper but the 15" cable drive is missing.
Also, the SAE paper describes the change required from the usual Boeing 60 degree sweep to the necessary 110 degree sweep and those two gearboxes are 120 degree versions.
This is drift and does not solve Brian's immediate problem so perhaps we can call it a suggested upgrade since he has a MKII.

Attachments

• 120 deg. Gear Cluster - Boeing wiper converter.jpg
    120 deg. Gear Cluster - Boeing wiper converter.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
If i understand what you are trying to acheive there is another solution,

I had wiper park on the wrong side, so i simply rotated the wheel box 180 degrees and rethreaded the drive cable, the wheelbox then stops the oppasite way, then reattached the wiper, the sweep will be the same but oppasite park, give it a try,

Terry

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
James

I believe that is a replacement blade
Boeing ones have no "leaf springs" and adjust using a thumb screw
(Certainly all the ones I have seen have been)
Ian

Ian,
Perhaps more drift but here is an original MkII wiper just like the one I mentioned.

Attachments

• Original MkII Wiper.jpg
    Original MkII Wiper.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 427
i wish i could be of more help, but maybe this WILL help.
i took my wiper off.
i hated the look with the wiper on and we dont drive these in the rain if we can avoid it anyway.
i use rain-x just in case.
look how much cleaner the car looks without the wiper and your problem is solved.

Attachments

• GT40_09.jpg
    GT40_09.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01043.jpg
    DSC01043.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 318
Back