Worlds best driving/roadtrip soundtrack album?

I nominate John Fogerty,s "The long road home, in concert"

I've been listening to it all week in the car, it's taken 7 minutes off a 30 minute commute, and if their is anything better I would like to know what it is.

Cheers

Fred W B

On September 9, 2005, the unthinkable happened: former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty and his estranged recording label, Fantasy Records, mended ways. For over three decades, Fogerty was mired in bitter disputes and endless legal actions in a bid to regain license to perform the catalog of songs he wrote and recorded between 1969 and 1972. Having lost control of his creative output, Fogerty all but abandoned any hope of ever regaining control—and performance rights—to his now-legendary music. That all came to a remarkable end when the Concord Music Group acquired Fantasy Records and immediately began reaching out to the label's most notable artist. Fogerty and Fantasy announced new projects in the works, the first being a compilation CD that would chronicle Fogerty's entire career—from his days with Creedence to his various solo achievements—being released under the collection title of The Long Road Home. The other imminent project was a live DVD that would reunite the fans with the man, allowing everyone to return to the rocking days that seemed forever gone.
On September 13, 2005, John Fogerty rocked the capacity crowd at Hollywood's Wiltern Theater. Dressed in a black shirt and blue jeans, Fogerty gets right down to business as soon as he steps onto the stage. By his own proclamation, "What I'm about is just playin' rock 'n roll so let's get to it," the 61-year-old guitarist/singer/songwriter does exactly that. Following a rousing opening number of "Travelin' Band," he barrels ahead for the duration of the 99-minute performance, treating the faithful in attendance to a smattering old classics and newer favorites. Backed by a remarkably cohesive band, Fogerty and company belt out numbers with precision, delivering a veritable note-for-note homage to his classic tunes and unforgettable riffs. On the vocals side, time hasn't touched Fogerty's ability to shout out the likes of "Fortunate Son," "Sweet Hitchhiker," "Lookin' Out My Back Door," and "Proud Mary." His voice is hauntingly unaffected by thirty years to the extent that you'd be challenged to find any difference in this performance and those from his Creedence days. All the while, he caresses his various six-string guitars while bouncing and bounding around the stage. Energy is definitely not lacking in this fellow.
Here's the set list for this new DVD:
• Intro/Travelin' Band
• Green River
• Who'll Stop the Rain
• Blue Moon Nights
• Lodi
• Lookin' Out My Back Door
• Hot Rod Heart
• Rambunctious Boy
• She's Got Baggage
• Born On the Bayou
• Bootleg
• Run Through the Jungle
• Déjà Vu (All Over Again)
• Have You Ever Seen the Rain
• Tombstone Shadow
• Keep On Chooglin'
• Sweet Hitch Hiker
• Hey Tonight
• Down On the Corner
• Centerfield
• Up Around the Bend
• The Old Man Down the Road
• Fortunate Son
(Encore)
• Bad Moon Rising
• Rockin' All Over the World
• Proud Mary

Last edited:
R.E.M.'S "eponymous" or Pink Floyd's "Obscured by clouds" are two of my faves
<script src="http://shots.snap.com//client/inject.js?site_name=0" type="text/javascript"></script>

Might sound strange but I like the Blaek Foos from Koeln Germany !!! A local cult band, and they do parity songs, all sung in the Kolsch dialect. Great for doing the Autobahn in Germany at speed !!

i just downloaded Iron Butterfly's In na godda da vida (the long version) and it's got everything in it....great driving song + flashbacks.....doesn't get any better than that!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Machine Head (Deep Purple) for best album, or entire CD. For the single best driving tune, "East-West", by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Another great road trip CD, if you like jazz: Pat Metheny's "American Garage".

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Obscure independent, SW-flavored, Americano rockin' Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (formerly known as the Refreshments prior to getting inexplicably dumped by their label):

AZPeacemakers.com

Their Jukebox

As the Refreshments, they put out my current personal all-time favorite road trip album:
Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy

They put on a fantastic live show and I highly recommend them if you're in to that kind of thing- high-energy, inoffensive, quality entertainment. They do a bi-annual show in Rocky Point, Sonora, Mex and it's an all-night show where they play into the wee hours of the morning... Good times!

Try them, you'll like'm!!

As for mainstream artists, Springsteen's Born to Run has it for me.

I like Springsteen's darker "Darkness on the Edge of Town " Lp. Has some car related song/lyrics...

ex. " I've got a 69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads with a Hurst on the floor. It's waiting outside out in the parking lot , outside the Seven Eleven store".

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwzG_4cmes&feature=related

Also, Candy's room, Badlands, Prove it all night get you stoked while on the road.

Last edited:
All good choices - I like ZZ Top(Greatest Hits), any Tom Petty, the Stones (Let It Bleed) and Stevie Ray Vaughn.
BTW - Springsteen is great but it's that one song that took him down off the pedestal for me; a kind of a 'poser' pandering to the tough guy hot rod crowd. Big blocks didn't have fuel injection,e.g.,'fuelie heads'. That was available on the small blocks from early 'Vette days but not on any '69 396 Chevy,factory or otherwise that I ever saw(no doubt someone will prove me wrong by bringing up an experimental something or other). Kind of like addressing this forum and saying that you've been following the exploits and history of the GT 409 for years. Music was good though.

Last edited:
All good choices - I like ZZ Top(Greatest Hits), any Tom Petty, the Stones (Let It Bleed) and Stevie Ray Vaughn.
BTW - Springsteen is great but it's that one song that took him down off the pedestal for me; a kind of a 'poser' pandering to the tough guy hot rod crowd. Big blocks didn't have fuel injection,e.g.,'fuelie heads'. That was available on the small blocks from early 'Vette days but not on any '69 396 Chevy,factory or otherwise that I ever saw(no doubt someone will prove me wrong by bringing up an experimental something or other). Kind of like addressing this forum and saying that you've been following the exploits and history of the GT 409 for years. Music was good though.

You're right fuelie heads are a small block item. The song doesn't mention fuel injection however... I know at the time the album came out Bruce was running around in a 62 vette. He IS a car guy that I know for sure. He puts quite a few miles on motorcycles as well.

i just downloaded Iron Butterfly's In na godda da vida (the long version) and it's got everything in it....great driving song + flashbacks.....doesn't get any better than that!
The long version works just fine along with Billy Idol, Maroon 5, Joe Cocker, Eagles, Lenard Skynard and a bunch of others, that's what I have on my workout Ipod! Good choice, although any good rock or southern rock will do! Gets your blood pumping!

Back