Wrecked GT40

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but for any of the new people who haven't here's an interesting website:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/

If you check out the rest of the site, it appears that Ferraris seemed to get wrecked more than any other exotic...hmmm.

Your pal,
Meat.

That's just not right.

I wonder if insurance would cover something like that? Probably not. What a shame.

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Barry:
That's just not right.

I wonder if insurance would cover something like that? Probably not. What a shame.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. If it happened on a racetrack, probably not...then again, one of my favorite quotes from an insurance agent remains "We do not offer track coverage. Our company doesn't believe that racetrack coverage is necessary, for the simple reason that we have never had a single claim related to an accident on a race track. According to our records, the most dangerous place to drive your car is just outside the race track gate. More accidents seem to happen to race cars there."

Hmm...if you don't cover cars on the track, and you get claims from just off the track, do you think maybe - just maybe - there's some connection?
rolleyes.gif

Your pal,
Meat.

Looks like it happened at some racing event. Read your insurance. I doubt that regular road insurance covers racing accidents. The accident wasn't too severe so hopefully there should have not been any damage to the driver. About a half a year ago a friend e-mailed me a short clip of a Viper on a road course during a racing course driver training school. The Viper lost it's brakes at the end of a high speed straight. The video clip was from the Viper's own in-car video cam. It was interesting to see the air bag go off.

G

I don't think that is an original car. The little side opening windows look GTD and the single vent nostril panel looks deeper than original. However other things don't look GTD. Anyone care to guess what make this car is, or does it say so on the site and I just missed it?

Malcolm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigRed:
"...Looks like it happened at some racing event. Read your insurance. I doubt that regular road insurance covers racing accidents..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...which is why there are never any accidents at racing events. The accidents seem to occur "elsewhere..."

Your pal,
Meat.

The site doesn't specify real or replica, just GT40.
Whatever it is, the owner/builder put some time into ducting air to the front brakes.
That suggests some sort of endurance racing,
not sprints, hillclimbs, etc., that most replicas race. Maybe it's a hybrid. A real
GT40, with aftermarket parts??????? It's not
one that has been posted here before, either crashed or uncrashed.
One thing is certain. I'm glad that it's not my 40!

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Brian Magee

Supporter
Malcolm

That is an original car alright, you can tell because the windscreen meets the door without a pillar. All replicas with a fibreglass roof need a windscreen pillar.

I think it was most probably a road rally such as the Tour de France.

Brian.

I suspect that is either 1039 or 1040 if my memory serves me correctly. They were both scuderia fillipeneti (excuse spelling) and the teams crest appears on the door in this photo. Also ran with thin single white stripe on red cars Regards

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think Norman is right; both 1039 and 1040 were crashed and rebuilt, using parts from one another according to some sources. 1040 is here in Maryland, as a basket of pieces and not rebuilt yet. None of the books I have state where 1039 is.

Back