Yos' SLC Build Thread

My opinion... I would worry more about getting the wheel distance to the driver right and the distance to the accesories is way to close on many cars for my liking for the exact reason Mike mentions... Get busy when driving like a ding dong and I tag my signal light flicker way to often; especially in my old RS6.... Signaling and changing from hi to low beams is a very deliberate action so unless it is to far away to reach with hands on the wheel I would likely like that extra distance.... I say if you can still reach them easily then leave the set up as is.

I plan to mount he quick disconnect as far forward as possible. With the power column fully retracted and the seat all the way back, the wheel still seems a bit close to me.

I cut my QD right at the end of the spline. I plan to mount the QD spline within 1/8" of the clockspring. That leaves just enough room to get my fingers around release ring comfortably.

Don't forget to try the spacing out wearing gloves too. I have one car that I inadvertantly turn the wipers on at the track. Never happens on the street. Its: a:annoying b:embarrassing and c:inconvenient as they won't re-park as low at high speed.

Could you cloak the distance with a "Momo" style rubber spacer?

Yos' I just finished reviewing your build threat for about the tenth time and I noticed that in the pictures in post #36, you used roll bar brackets (very nice) on the horizontal surface; however, on the vertical surface where you have the flex pipe, you used a different mounting bracket. I am wondering why you didn't use the the roll bar bracket throughout?

Thanks,
Jim

I plan to mount he quick disconnect as far forward as possible. With the power column fully retracted and the seat all the way back, the wheel still seems a bit close to me.

I cut my QD right at the end of the spline. I plan to mount the QD spline within 1/8" of the clockspring. That leaves just enough room to get my fingers around release ring comfortably.

I'm with you Bill...I feel like it should be a lot closer. But how far I can go will depend on the dish of the wheel. With the Momo wheel I have, I really don't think I could cut to the splines and weld it an 1/8" from the clockspring. The wheel would touch the stalks at that point.

I think... :huh:

Don't forget to try the spacing out wearing gloves too. I have one car that I inadvertantly turn the wipers on at the track. Never happens on the street. Its: a:annoying b:embarrassing and c:inconvenient as they won't re-park as low at high speed.

Could you cloak the distance with a "Momo" style rubber spacer?

As much as I don't like the look of it. I think you make a good point Luke. It's probably good for a radical driving enviorment. Or like Kyle says..."when driving like a ding dong".

My Silverado has the stalks 1.75" away from the wheel. My old lady's little Sonic has the stalks 2" away. So I guess the SLC at 2.75" isn't so bad. It just looks wrong...

Yos' I just finished reviewing your build threat for about the tenth time and I noticed that in the pictures in post #36, you used roll bar brackets (very nice) on the horizontal surface; however, on the vertical surface where you have the flex pipe, you used a different mounting bracket. I am wondering why you didn't use the the roll bar bracket throughout?

Hey Jim...I love those roll cage mounts. The reason I only used them where I did is...they're pretty damn bulky. They just wouldn't fit in the wheel well. The P clamps used to get around the footbox gives the system some flex too.

Or like Kyle says..."when driving like a ding dong".

Yeah I do not know if I am more of a ding or a dong or equal measures...

Here is a picture for referance. That converts to 223MPH for yall south of the boarder. :shifty::shifty::shocked::shocked::lipsrsealed::lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 482

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Please tell us you're doing that on a track and not on a public roadway......

Dave L

Yeah I do not know if I am more of a ding or a dong or equal measures...

Here is a picture for referance. That converts to 223MPH for yall south of the boarder. :shifty::shifty::shocked::shocked::lipsrsealed::lipsrsealed:

Yos-
I am a new member to the forum. I am expecting delivery of my SLC in the next few weeks and trying to get parts in line. You mentioned in your post back a ways about brake line clips you secured from summit. I am struggling to find these clips and I really like the way they look. Can you provide any furhter information?
Thanks, Todd

Yos-
I am a new member to the forum. I am expecting delivery of my SLC in the next few weeks and trying to get parts in line. You mentioned in your post back a ways about brake line clips you secured from summit. I am struggling to find these clips and I really like the way they look. Can you provide any furhter information?
Thanks, Todd

Todd, I bought my T-clamp, (brake line clamps) direct from the manufacture, “Made 4 You Products” and they were 3 bucks a pack cheaper than Summit.

The model numbers are:
#1018813 = 3/16” Red Single
#2028813 = 3/16” X 3/16” Red Double

Note: the suffix #13 denotes the color Red. If you want a color other than Red, you need to change the suffix #.

Jim

Yos-
Thanks, Todd

Glad the guys got you the info you're looking for. Those brake line clamps are my shining contribution to the SLC :thumbsup:

I swear I've gotten so many questions and PM's about those little thingy's...

I am considering using silicone fire sleeve on my coolant pipes....or do you have a better suggestion?
Mcmaster Carr
Unslit Foam Rubber Pipe Insulation, 1/2" Thick, 1-3/8" Insulation Id, 6' Length
McMaster-Carr
Glad the guys got you the info you're looking for. Those brake line clamps are my shining contribution to the SLC :thumbsup:
I swear I've gotten so many questions and PM's about those little thingy's...
I know I was one of them...nice parts.

[/QUOTE] Hey Jim...I love those roll cage mounts. The reason I only used them where I did is...they're pretty damn bulky. They just wouldn't fit in the wheel well. The P clamps used to get around the footbox gives the system some flex too.[/QUOTE]

Yos' thanks, I knew that there had to be a good reason!

What diameter P-clamp did you use for the coolant line?

Thanks again,
Jim

Does anybody have a link to a clutch fork install tutorial? If I can find some pics and instructions for the standard Porsche install that'd be great too. I'll figure out the inverted part from there. I guess anything would help...

Also...should I do it with the motor in the car or out?

Here's a quick teaser pic of the motor as it sits right now. I'm in the process of some more "fit and finish" work...

20130423190556.jpg

Back