Yos' SLC Build Thread

do you have to trim the door window frame or is that an illusion with the door up? The window shape looks different. Congrats though. I hope to be there soon myself. What vehicle number are they up to now?

Henry, the triangle at door top is for the hippo ear mirrors should you choose to use them. They are cut out if using the low mount mirror. I believe over 100 now but
Fran can chime in to confirm should he desire to do so.

very nice. Looks so good in green. Subscribed. please post lots of pics on your build progress. Nice engine. wow thats going to be fun

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Henry. I call my daughter (Monique) Mo, I go by Jack..
No worries.

Of course Jack could insert a signature line in his notes... ;). Or modify his handle! :lipsrsealed:

Sweet SL-C you have there!

Yos congrats on the SL-C, are you going to build it for the street or the track, also I see a different headlight assembly and turn signal location than mine. I like it. The color is really going to stand out, nice. Enjoy the assembly which looks like it is a good bit done from Fran which is the way to go, their know how on some things really will save time on your end which is worth it. Are you going to do anything to the LS-9 of leave it stock? I can say it will be fast.

Vidal- welcome to the site. I have been following your GTM build and admire the work you are doing with the electronics in particular.

Thanks.

Vidal,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure that Yos would enjoy a visit. I'm always open for a visit as well in Palm Bay. 45 minutes from you.

Thanks. I'm on the base about once a month. I'll coordinate with you for a visit prior to.

I'll be coordinating to meet Yos and see his SCL soon (maybe this week end). Yos, thanks for the invite.

Last edited:
Vidal, Just give a call ahead. I am usually right here. You are welcome anytime.
I'm about 25 minutes South of PAFB.
321-725-9076

Some Pics...

dscf0001meb.jpg

Some of you guys have asked me about the chassis modifications to fit the LS9. Here's a few shots...

It's packed in there.

dscf0008jt.jpg

dscf0012z.jpg

dscf0028small.jpg

Here's some brake line install pics.

I had to tweak the bends on all the lines to get them to lay down properly, but in the end...I'm fairly happy with the results.

I used clips from Summit that keep the lines off the chassis a bit.

dscf0057small.jpg

dscf0063small.jpg

dscf0059small.jpg

dscf0062small.jpg

Some coolant line pics. I used header wrap on the side pipes and I think I'm going to use the flex hose to go around the front wheel area. It's either that or welded pipes.

It looks like it might be impossible to service the connections with the body on. If that turns out to be the case...I'll have pipes welded up.

I used roll bar clamps to mount the pipes, and I ordered 1.75" clamps to clear the header wrap. The pipes still ended up a little loose inside the clamps, so I used set screws to hold everything snug. Came out great.

dscf0064ut.jpg

dscf0073f.jpg

I used the steel clamps for the header wrap on both ends. On the end that ends up with the "floppy" wrap end I went over it with radiator hose repair tape. It seems to be a good product. And easy to work with...

dscf0067small.jpg

dscf0066small.jpg

Mounted...

dscf0077small.jpg

dscf0083small.jpg

dscf0084small.jpg

Set screw...

dscf0080small.jpg

Front end...

dscf0087os.jpg

The LS9 uses an air water/air intercooler set-up, so I had to find a way to incorporate heat exchangers into the SLC. I found some at frozen boost that seemed to fit, and were the largest ones I could find. The ZR-1 uses a fairly small one from the factory. And according to the math...I should be almost double the fin area with these two. Hopefully I'll keep the charge cool enough. I'm also going to use a water pump for the system that triples the factory flow. And I'll be mounting fans on each of them too. As Jack would say..."Belt and suspenders..."

I had to fab up some brackets so I could mount these at the side scoop area. They were done quickly so I could place them for clearance and get the body removed. I'll build brackets for the bottoms during final assembly.

Here's the heat exchangers...

dscf0031small.jpg

My first cuts...

dscf0035mb.jpg

dscf0039ki.jpg

Mounted...

dscf0042small.jpg

dscf0047small.jpg

dscf0048z.jpg

Shot with both brackets installed...

dscf0112small.jpg

Dry sump tank install. The Peterson 16" x 9" tank does fit.

Barely...

It looks like I'll have about an 1/8" of clearance at best all the way around the tank. I'll install some rubber on the close contact points during final assembly. It does fit in the space, but I have no doubt that if you hit a bump...the tank WILL make contact with the chassis.

I made a plate that bolts in the frame between the gas tank and engine bay. I used 1/4" aluminum for strength. This tank is going to be heavy when its full. The bottom of the plate is bolted through the 2x2, and the top is threaded into the 2x6 beam.

Pre-fitment...

dscf0090c.jpg

dscf0093u.jpg

The plate...

dscf0095eh.jpg

dscf0100small.jpg

Fitting it in the chassis was a bear. Lining up for tapped holes needs to be precise!

dscf0097t.jpg

dscf0105nw.jpg

If you look closely...you'll see I had to add a 1/8" spacer at the top of the bracket to snug everything up.

dscf0103v.jpg

Installed...

dscf0107n.jpg

dscf0106small.jpg

dscf0109small.jpg

That's pretty cool :D

Where the corrugated pipe enters underneath the aluminum, make certain it isn't touching the aluminum panels, otherwise it'll get sawed through in a hurry (they have like 0 durability, at least based on my experiences)

Wow, looking really good. That is some tight squeeze for the engine but im glad it worked out. What is the engine hight? Will the glass clear?

Back