ZF sealing nuts group buy

Hey guys,

One of the chronic niggles that affects the ZF transaxle is that they have a tendency to drool oil out the back side, due to the fact that oil seeps past the threads on the numerous studs which hold the back plate to the back edge of the case. Normally the gearbox is just held together with conventional open nuts.

Recently a friend turned me on to stainless steel sealing acorn nuts, a highly specialized fastener made by an outfit called Zago. Here's a photo:

ACORN.jpg

It's a simple, yet brilliant concept. A groove is machined in the face of the nut to accept a rubber O-ring. The nut can be tightened to the point where you get metal-to-metal contact, so you can be assured of having the proper torque. The O-ring acts as both a seal and a lockwasher. Additionally, acorn nuts add a fair bit of bling to the rear of the gearbox.

Their website shows a variety of sealing fasteners, along with a gee-whiz video that shows how the concept works:

seal screws, self sealing screws and self-sealing fasteners manufactured by Zago Co

I've been speaking with their sales rep, and the price quote I got was for $2.65 each with a min quantity of 100, or the price drops to $2.05 each if I buy 500 or more. (Plus shipping etc.)

I haven't counted yet, but I believe there are 18-19 studs on the back of a ZF, so I'd be planning on selling these in quantities of 20, unless my count reveals the need to use a few more. That would mean that the cost to outfit a ZF would be in the $50-60 range.

I've already got a half-dozen Pantera guys on board (in just an hour) so I think with a little GT40 interest, it shouldn't be difficult to get over the 500 unit hump.

If you're interested, please send me an e-mail directly (my address appears below) and let me know. I believe that the SS nuts come in a dull SS finish; I can polish them for you for a slight additional cost.

I plan to sell these things at my cost, and won't require a cash commitment up front. Just say you want some, I'll put your name on a list, order and pay for them, then arrange for individual shipment/payment once they arrive. Figure $4.95 for flat-rate shipping in the USA.

Again, please e-mail me at MikeLDrew at aol.com to express interest.

Cheers!

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Wouldn't be just as effective, and probably cheaper, to use copper sealing washers under the regular nuts. For that matter, even some acorn nuts. They are easily replaced and available everywhere. Works well on Ford 8" and 9" pumpkins as well as millions of Japanese bikes.

Wouldn't be just as effective, and probably cheaper, to use copper sealing washers under the regular nuts. For that matter, even some acorn nuts. They are easily replaced and available everywhere. Works well on Ford 8" and 9" pumpkins as well as millions of Japanese bikes.

You're more than welcome to try. If you're successful, more power to you. These nuts aren't that much more expensive than conventional acorn nuts though.

People have been trying to get ZF transaxles to stop leaking for 40 years, without much success. This represents one possible solution to the problem....

Try this product, use a generous amount on threads, let the excess squeeze out, then wipe off. Let dry 48-72 hrs before filling the box with oil.

Hylomar Sealant

Hylomar is GREAT stuff! Unlike RTV silicone, it is impervious to gasoline, so it's a perfect goop to use to seal a fuel filler, for example. I've used it there with great success. :thumbsup:

It ain't got no bling though! :laugh:

Great idea Mike. Very innovative. Looks like a super nicely done piece. I suspect f-car guys would jump at these too if they come in the M6 dimension for sealing up the bottom of their V8s around the sump and gearbox plates (classic oil weeping spot).

Thanks!

Back