ZF Shifting

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Rich,

ZF shifting, well that's one dear to my heart. Chis, thanks for posting some pics of the mechanism. It's interesting to see how the other half lives...

The early CAV ZF cars had horrible shifting because the single rod actuator arm had too many angles to throw and rubber bushes at the shifter in the console. CAV Canada produces a very good retrofit for CAVs, not that the issue here, rather that our new mechanism uses all sphercial bearings, robust u-joints and works extremely well. The SPF parts pictured look to be very well made so I suspect you're looking at fine tuning the setup rather than mechamism or box related.

You do have to check the phasing of all the u-joints and make sure shaft lengths / angles approaching support bearings are not in bind throughout the throw of the transaxle selector range. Carefull observation of the movements and forces without the transaxle input connected may reveal the areas needing adjustment.

When you're doing all this throwing of the gears, take it easy on the box, the gears and syncros aren't fond of being bashed about standing still and cold. The ZFs have proven to be up to the job but it does deserve respect.

On the matter of engaging 2nd before Ist or reverse, this is generally symptomatic of a dragging clutch or misaligned input shaft on the transaxle. Believe me I've been down this road many times.

Once the transaxle is warmed up, you can easily select 1st or reverse without drama, however a short pause while going across the gate with the clutch fully disengaged gives the shafts and gears a chance to slow down before grabbing the next gear. Actually a good practise in driving the cars too, a slight pause as you pass the middle of the gate during gear changes. That doesn't mean slow shifts, just a different rythm.

Have fun with your car, hope this helps with improving the driveability.

Cheers

Back