Quaife versus ZF/RBT

I have my SPF Mk1 GT40 on order, with a mid year build date. I know that the Quaife or RBT transaxle will be installed, however, I am concerned whether there is anybody that is capable/qualified to work on a Quaife? RBT is located in So. California, where the car will be finished, so any future issues can be addressed there. What about the Quaife? Since the availability of both has been spotty, but the Quaife is, at least for now, available in the U.K. I wanted to order one and have it shipped to California, but not if I can’t get someone to work on it if needed. Tried to do a forum search for some information, but I wasn’t successful.

Have you asked Quaife about U.S. repair shops?
Or call Olthoff Racing. Dennis has been using the QGE62G in his racing SPF for several years now.
Don't know what the wait time is now on an RBT, but it is a good transaxle too.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
There are a number of US based shops (many that work on Pantera's) that can work on or rebuild a ZF if you can secure one. RBT is the only new supplier, but there are second hand ZF's available, mostly out of Pantera's. Those require flipping for use in a GT40 as the Pantera uses it inverted, so there is a tear down and inspection with that process that has to occur anyway. 2nd gear synchro is usually the first to show wear.

I understood the new Quaife is a beefed-up version of the prior unit which used Porsche internals, so maybe one of the renowned Porsche transaxle shops like California Motorsports could work on the Quaife. Taylor Race Engineering and Mountune both supply Quaife differentials in the US and I would expect either is capable of working on the transaxle.

Thanks for the information. If the Quaife uses Porsche internals that would be a plus, as there would be no shortage of replacement parts. Never thought about Taylor Race Engineering, but I have used them on Hewlands in the past, and they were extremely knowledgeable. Any idea of the approximate cost of shipping a Quaife from the U.K. To California, and how much the VAT would add to the price?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks for the information. If the Quaife uses Porsche internals that would be a plus, as there would be no shortage of replacement parts. Never thought about Taylor Race Engineering, but I have used them on Hewlands in the past, and they were extremely knowledgeable. Any idea of the approximate cost of shipping a Quaife from the U.K. To California, and how much the VAT would add to the price?
VAT is not charged on an export. Ask for an "ex works" quote

Back