ZL1 canam block help

Rex,
The RMC could be Renolds Massena Casting. Since these were like service parts the early castings would be hand stamped, M2 I'm not sure about may be a date code or mold number. If I remember correctly the Dunns Number stood for Dunn&Bradstreet. This had to do with billing, quality and parts tracking. (inventory control) Back in the day much was shipped by rail and you had to track orders of parts. More than one vendor could make the same part, that's how we could tell the difference. The loading docks used to get very busy. Renolds is now Alcoa. I don't know if the Massena foundry is still there or not. Somebody that worked there would be a help. If run across an old material guy that I worked with. I will ask him if the list of old vendor dunns numbers are available anywhere. It may explain a few of them on the casting. (numbers) Other than the GM Engineering part number. If you look at the block the other guy posted, it's a later block(plug) most of the numbers you have are cast into it except for the Saginaw foundry stamp.
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. You obviously worked for GM at some time. You have already been a wealth of info and I appreciate it so much. Please let me know if you learn anything else about it. I would post some pics of the block, but don't know how. I can send them to your email address if you like.
Many thanks,
Rex

Last edited:
Rex,
I retired from the Truck Plant in Oshawa a year and half ago. Since then they went from three shifts to two and now they are closing it in May. Most of my time spent in paint. Rick Wagoner used to visit quite a bit, we were lead plant in paint. He was the head of NAO Paint. We developed the Binks Sames Aqua Bell System(Fanuc) (water borne base) (ICI/PPG)that used by everyone now. I worked in amost every department before that.
Dave

Dave,
Small world indeed. I retired from Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes Corp. (Richmond, KY mfg plant) after 30 years, most of which were in the QC / Tech Service arena. I am familiar with the systems you named.

I just today received some GM drawings of the ZL-1 Can Am oiling systems, both wet and dry sump. I have collected almost all the parts in the drawings. It's neat to find this old stuff after all these years.

Please let me know if you learn anything else regarding my engine.

Again, many thinks for the information you have already provided. Wish you a nice holiday season,

Regards,
Rex

Rex,
It is a small world. We used to use your 2K base and clear for repair. The car plant system uses BASF. They just anounced loss of a shift today 750 jobs. It won't be much of a happy holiday around here. I will PM you if get any info.
Dave

I too, have a ZL-1 Prototype block (putting it in my 65 Vette). I don't THINK it's a Can Am block, as it's sleeved, 4.25 bore with Mech fuel pump...Dry sump provision, as well. Numbers are as follows: Casting: "0-294550"....with "70065 53 W" on the stamp pad...no date stamp. Any info would be appreciated. Photos available. [email protected]

Rex,
It is a small world. We used to use your 2K base and clear for repair. The car plant system uses BASF. They just anounced loss of a shift today 750 jobs. It won't be much of a happy holiday around here. I will PM you if get any info.
Dave

Hello Dave,

Long time since we last corresponded. Hope this note finds all well with you. Just curious if you have learned any additional information regarding these old aluminum dinosaurs?

Take care...............look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
Rex

Last edited:
Rex,
I talked to Bob Y. who used to worked in material in the recieving area just last week. He gave me a name of a guy who may have the old Vendor Dunns Numbers. I will have to track him down. He was one of the old school guys knew the number of the top of his head. He retired in 88 so I don't know if he is in town. PM me if you like. I may try a few other people in systems to see if any of the old files are kicking around.
Dave

I "think", but am not certain, that my Can Am block "may" be one of the 390 alloy linerless blocks that somebody has post-added the steel liners to it. Casting # is 0-321270 and that is the same casting number that appears on a block that was featured in the Sept. 1972 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. If that is what my block is, then it would have been cast by Reynolds Aluminum Co. The Hot Rod article states that the 390 alloy blocks had no provision for a mechanical fuel pump, and mine does not.

Can anyone add anything else?

Thanks,
Rex

Rex,
I was doing some work on your engine. Your's is one of the earlier castings from Renolds. The "T" designation is for Tonawanda Engine Assembly outside Buffalo where it was assembled. They were the only plant that did them. The M2 may be May 2nd. Since these were the first batch everything was hand stamped except for the part number. I figure yours was one of the original 25 Rat Motors produced.
Dave

Thanks Dave.

Here are some pics of the numbers on the block. If these provide any more info to you, please let me know. As always, I really appreciate your help.

Rex

cast date 2-5-68 in lifter galley
PB050824.jpg

RMC stamped into rear of block just above bellhousing alignment stud
PB050825.jpg

2454 stamped into front of block just above oil pan rail
PB050826.jpg

Rex,
The 1270 is the last four digits of the part code. This is set up as crate motor or even a short block. The normal production ID Code would for example: V0107CLJ
CV=Plant 01=Jan 07=Day+Hour CLJ engine and suffix. This was done from 68 to current. A crate motor example :VF292800 VF=CID Date and Part No.
Yours is RMC- Renold Massena Casting. T-Tonawanda Engine Assembly 1270 for engineering crate part no. I will try to figure the rest of it out.
Dave

Mornin' Dave and thanks for your reply. It appears that the casting number IN the lifter galley is missing the first "2" of the cast number 03 1270 (should be 0321270). This number also appears on the back of the block, just above the bellhousing mounting area, on the passenger side...0-321270. The caste date in the lifter galley can be seen with a magnifying glass and is 2 5 68 (Feb 5, 1968). Since these were "race only" engines, were they shipped from Reynolds as assembled engines? I would think that they were sold as bare blocks only and would be prepared / built by the individual race teams.
Thanks and have a good day.
Rex
PB050815.jpg

PB050818.jpg

Rex,
They would have been machined in Tonawanda and crank and pistons added. They did all the big blocks hence the T stamp. RMC did the casting. That plant GM(RMC) closed this year. They did the Cosworth Vega motors etc. Still an Alcoa plant Messena the older one closed. You should check your heads too to see if RMC cast them or they were done by sombody else. Who ever did them would have left their mark.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I have a set of BB alum closed chamber heads (casting #3919842) that were built by TRACO in Culver City, CA, that I plan to use on the engine with Ross flat top pistons. This combo should yield a 9.5 : 1 compression ratio. If I get really serious about it, I nave an NOS set of 12.5 : 1 original GM pistons specifically for the Can Am engines. Just a bit too much compression for my needs.

Thanks,
Rex

Finally.....................I have decided that my block is one of the "linerless" versions cast by Reynolds RMC = Reynolds Masena Casting?). These were the "high silicon content" blocks that were designed to be run with no sleeves / liners. However, someone in the past (perhaps Smokey Yunick since it came from his shop) installed the cast iron liners for whatever reason.

Just wanted to post an update.

Thanks,
Rex

Was thinking of selling my canam block (pics at the start of this post would need liners line boring etc) must be a fairly rare item have not really seen any canam blocks for sale has anybody got any ideas of value?

Back