ZL1 canam block help

I too, have a ZL-1 Prototype block (putting it in my 65 Vette). I don't THINK it's a Can Am block, as it's sleeved, 4.25 bore with Mech fuel pump...Dry sump provision, as well. Numbers are as follows: Casting: "0-294550"....with "70065 53 W" on the stamp pad...no date stamp. Any info would be appreciated. Photos available. [email protected]

Try here for info:

Photos of Dana Chevrolet

Looks like a pre-production ZL1 that was originally dropped in a '69 Camaro. The
motor was originally shipped to Grossman Chevrolet in Minneapolis. The Grossmans
had access to prototype/race motors since they campaigned a 1969 Corvette.
According to the thread, the owner of the block at the time spoke to Bill Howell
(Chief Engineer @ GM at the time), who stated this:

"The O-number block indicates it was cast with temporary pattern equipment,probably
late in 1968 before the regular run of ZL-1's were done".

Ian

It's been a while since my last visit here. Hope everyone is well. Just wondering if there is any new information on these Can Am engines.

Thanks,:thumbsup:
Rex

greetings from switzerland.if anybody would be intrested in a canam aluchevy engine,i would have a morand engine available.the 8rods,8injectors and the mechanical meteringunit is missing.but block,heads,piston,crank and camshaft,flywheel,mckay manifold,scintilla distributor,drysump and pump are in used but very good condition.all you need is a m8 mc laren to put it in.but the price is:shocked: 26000$

Attachments

• chevmotor alu(09).jpg
    chevmotor alu(09).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 548
I have a RMC Block was looking for more info maybe wanting to part with it....Just clean up my stash pm for more info

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 435
Hi guys I have a very early ZL1 alloy block which judging by the research i have done is an experimental block supplied to a canam team.
I wondered if anybody might have further info on the block or be able to interpret the markings in the pictures I think the 155/ 06 mark might identify the team? . Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Mark

Hi markpreece I'm new to this forum, if anyone still on this thread and knows if this engine block is still around I am very interested in its history and although unlikely to be usable, I have 155/02, I am interested to buy to build a demonstration engine. Regards Steve

Hi guys I have a very early ZL1 alloy block which judging by the research i have done is an experimental block supplied to a canam team.
I wondered if anybody might have further info on the block or be able to interpret the markings in the pictures I think the 155/ 06 mark might identify the team? . Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance Mark
I have a RMC Block was looking for more info maybe wanting to part with it....Just clean up my stash pm for more info
Hi Mark, Im new to forum this engine block is of serious interest please can you let me know if you still have it or know where it is, Regards Steve

greetings from switzerland.if anybody would be intrested in a canam aluchevy engine,i would have a morand engine available.the 8rods,8injectors and the mechanical meteringunit is missing.but block,heads,piston,crank and camshaft,flywheel,mckay manifold,scintilla distributor,drysump and pump are in used but very good condition.all you need is a m8 mc laren to put it in.but the price is:shocked: 26000$

Hi i realise this is an old thread, are these engines still availiable. Regards Steve

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you. I had never heard of "Morand".

I somewhat seem to remember the brand "Morand" but without any details details....
Google search did not reveal to much information either:

Please find below the section which describes some details about Morand with autotranslation:
Louis Morand in LaTour de Tréme in the Fribourg countryside improved engines so that they were able to withstand the rigors... Connecting rods, pistons, crankshafts and camshafts were manufactured in-house. A test bench up to 1,000 hp and 14,000 revolutions was available. Chevy production blocks were used as the basis. He employed 19 workers in three departments, Rev. of construction machinery, precision engineering and engines also for aerobatic planes and 8Liter CanAm engines. In 1968 Jo Bonnier came to Morand, who was a neighbor of his, with the 5Liter Chevrolet Barz engine, Phil Henni is remembered. He disassembled the engine and carefully rebuilt it. Bonnier was so pleased with the engine that he immediately ordered 10 for the 69 season. Now he developed an engine from scratch. He got 500hp out of the 5Liter. Bonnier had a lot of success with these engines in his Lola T70 SL73/101 until July 1970. Morand switched to Formula 5000. The Swiss engine builder managed to beat the Americans on their home race tracks with an American engine. Now the 8Liter Turbo Alumotoren for 80'000 CHF for the CanAm McLaren and Lola's come into play. Such an engine is also reserved for Müller for the Interseries with 800 hp. And Morand himself is also racing in this series with a T70 SL76/147. He is also working for Trojan on aerodynamic projects. I am very proud to be able to exhibit an 8Liter engine from Morand at the American Live 06.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Neil

Supporter
I somewhat seem to remember the brand "Morand" but without any details details....
Google search did not reveal to much information either:

Please find below the section which describes some details about Morand with autotranslation:
Louis Morand in LaTour de Tréme in the Fribourg countryside improved engines so that they were able to withstand the rigors... Connecting rods, pistons, crankshafts and camshafts were manufactured in-house. A test bench up to 1,000 hp and 14,000 revolutions was available. Chevy production blocks were used as the basis. He employed 19 workers in three departments, Rev. of construction machinery, precision engineering and engines also for aerobatic planes and 8Liter CanAm engines. In 1968 Jo Bonnier came to Morand, who was a neighbor of his, with the 5Liter Chevrolet Barz engine, Phil Henni is remembered. He disassembled the engine and carefully rebuilt it. Bonnier was so pleased with the engine that he immediately ordered 10 for the 69 season. Now he developed an engine from scratch. He got 500hp out of the 5Liter. Bonnier had a lot of success with these engines in his Lola T70 SL73/101 until July 1970. Morand switched to Formula 5000. The Swiss engine builder managed to beat the Americans on their home race tracks with an American engine. Now the 8Liter Turbo Alumotoren for 80'000 CHF for the CanAm McLaren and Lola's come into play. Such an engine is also reserved for Müller for the Interseries with 800 hp. And Morand himself is also racing in this series with a T70 SL76/147. He is also working for Trojan on aerodynamic projects. I am very proud to be able to exhibit an 8Liter engine from Morand at the American Live 06.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Thank you for the detail about Morand. I do not think he is well known in the US as an engine builder. Most aluminum Chevrolet engines used in the Can-Am series were built by MacLaren, George Bolthoff, Traco, or Al Barz.

"Connecting rods, pistons, crankshafts and camshafts were manufactured in-house." This seems unnecessary as there were plenty of aftermarket suppliers of high quality parts for the Chevrolet engines.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you for the detail about Morand. I do not think he is well known in the US as an engine builder. Most aluminum Chevrolet engines used in the Can-Am series were built by MacLaren, George Bolthoff, Traco, or Al Barz.

"Connecting rods, pistons, crankshafts and camshafts were manufactured in-house." This seems unnecessary as there were plenty of aftermarket suppliers of high quality parts for the Chevrolet engines.

Neil,
it seems you don't understand swiss quality ;).
Only because there is no need to improve something does not mean it's not done.
Pocket Knive.jpg Swiss Pocket Knive.jpg
Pocket Knive Swiss Pocket Knive

Excavator.jpg Swiss Excavator.jpg
Excavator Swiss Excavator

Seriously, I think back in the days it was not that easy to source parts from the US......

Back