Yet another rookie transaxle question

Hi.
I'm still yet to pick up a spanner on this project but I'm flat out doing research especially on transmissions. Living were I do in South Australia it looks like Ill have to buy my trans from some distance away probably through eBay or an overseas company. I cant go for the top end boxes like Ricardo but I would say I have a mid range budget for a box. The thing is I don't want to squander it, or, buy an inappropriate box, get taken for a ride or make a silly mistake. As we speak I have the chance To purchase a Porsche 915 box with a cracked bell housing for under $2,000 or a good G50/01 for just under $6,000. Im sure someone knows what Im on about here can anybody help with advice? Thanks. PS Is the 915 even suitable ? The bell housing can be replaced or welded.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Fred, welcome to the forum. You need to provide a little more info re your choice of engine for the car before you can get sound advice on a transaxle. If your interested, I have a rebuilt 930 4spd, lsd at $7,500.00. Good luck with your search.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Strength wise goes something like this. Weak to strong.

VW gearbox (will work----not for long)
Renault's prior to R21 and 389 series (hard to adapt----weak)
Audi's prior to 016 and later 6 speeds (same as above)
Renault R21 and 016/all Audi 6 speeds (strong enough for a good street car on street tires)
Porsche 915 (best of the low buget group)
Upgraded R21's -1 piece shaft, (I have one and so far so good. 370 HP Quaife LSD)
G50 01-05 (Nearly as good as later G50 XX if built with upgrade parts)
G50-52 (Just plain good, if not very good)
ZF (old very strong race design)
G50 turbo 4 speed (very strong) 500HP+
I'll put the new Quaife/ZF here because I don't have reason not to
Recardo (modern design, very big and heavy, very strong 600-700HP+
Race only boxes Older Hewland's ($$$$$$$) Too much power
Modern Race boxes ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and more ($$$$$$$$$$$) Way, Way too much power!

This is a general view. Of course all or nearly all of these can be built stronger with new parts. better parts, careful professional assembly, ya ya ya.

The best bet would be to use a good used Porsche G50-01xx and keep the power under 425ish HP. Best upgrade is LSD

I do have friends with 016 Audi's and 408 Ci strokers. All is well so far. 016 Audi's seam to be the best low buget choice.

A lot of this is tires and your right foot.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Well said Howard,
Hi Fred --which "kit" are you going with ? and then which motor etc ?
The DRBs and RCRs will take the Porsche G50 and 930 no probs.
We're working on a G86-20 / G96 adaption --this maybe a slightly better budget route

PM sent:heart:
Cheers

Thanks so much for the the replies all. Howard certainly did know what I was trying to find out. A sequential list of boxes, price v pros and cons , I feel better already. I pretty much intend to use the Windsor motor as it seems the most plentiful, adaptable ,upgradable. Im looking to get it to 400+ bhp but don't ask me why, it just sounds good. I'm not sure which kit Ill go for but I do intend to visit both the factory's soon to have a look . Thanks for the offer Chris but it looks like Ill be going on with the purchase of the G50/01 I mentioned as I have already given the guy half a 'nod' on it and from what Ive read this is a good choice.

Yo Howard Jones:

Thanks for the list. I had to do a triple take on that first box you mentioned.

-John

Back