Hi from the Isle of Wight

Hello Forum.

Just to introduce myself, my name is Gary and my interest in GT40's is down to my dad Colin who was an Auto-Electrician for Alan Mann Racing during 1966 and he was 'sparky' and refueller for the 1966 Hill/Muir car #7 :thumbsup:

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Gary,

First post from "across the water" as far as I know!

Do you come over to the mainland much? There's quite a number of forum members and GT40 Enthusiasts Club members around the Hampshire/Central Southern area. Many attend the monthly club meetings at the West Meon Hut, every 3rd Tuesday of the month.

Cheers,

Max (just over the border into Dorset)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Gary,

As I recall, that car was the beautiful dark blue with white stripe Rob Walker entered car.

Gary, may I add my welcome too. Love the IOW and try to visit every couple of years just to get my hit of 50s / 60s nostalgia. Not taken my 40 over yet, that could be fun although I would hardly get into second before hitting the opposite coast!:laugh:

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

Not a bad idea, we could do a tour around the island. Almost like going abroad somewhere exotic, only not quite. Especially as last time I did a tour round the island it was on a push bike, with a tent...

Max

Do you think the IOW is ready for that sort of invasion? They are, after all a very reserved people and having several 40s screaming through their little villages might cause some upset - when do we go? (evil laugh)

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sadly mine is in bits at present, but should be back together by the summer (by Le Mans Classic, if not by Stoneleigh). So August/September any good?

Clockwise from Yarmouth, through Freshwater
Blast down Military Road...
Hill climb up St. Catherine's hill...
Cruise through Ventnor, Shanklin & Sandown
Nice line up along the seafront at Ryde...
Back round via Cowes & Newport.

Max

Keith

Osborne House often hosts classic car rallies in their car park - last time I was there last year there was an amazing gathering of some 50 classic Jags, some of which I had forgotten were even built!

I suppose it does involve a tour of the House, but it is well worth it.

As for IOW being 'reserved', you might want to reconsider that during Cowes week, or any Saturday night in Ryde.

But yes, it is a beautifully unspoiled snapshot of the past and long shall it remain so.

PS check your ride heights on the new Lymington/Yarmouth Ferry ramps... `

Sounds fun, but I'm not sure I can make it this year, itinerary already full with little time for GT trips anywhere. Already have several trips booked (sans 40) and looking to do some track days, just not enough holidays per year these days, need to win the lottery and retire!

Welcome to the forum Gary. I often fly to Bembridge for a cup of coffee and to meet friends who live there - it is only about 20 minutes from the strip where the aeroplane is kept. Just going over the water makes me feel I am going to somewhere different - and it is different in a very nice and relaxed way.

DaveM, if you mean the tank museum, it is close to the IOW but on the mainland. It is well worth a visit for anyone in the area. Many of the tanks are in working order and regularly demonstrated. They range from the Mark 1 from the first world war to quite recent examples. Their inventory of Russian tanks has been swelled by the recent conflicts in the Middle East I understand.

Keith, I would guess that the rowdy behaviour at Cowes Week and Ryde is mainly caused by yachties and holidaymakers from the mainland. In the winter it is very quiet there.

Chris

I would highly recommend a visit to the tank museum if you have the chance. I visited two years ago and it was a genuine learning experience.

Back