Gulf colors.....Why?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK guys (and gals, if there are any out there)....I know many have done their cars in the Gulf blue/orange livery and Ford will offer it for 06 on the new GT. The question is: Would you pick these colors if they had not won LeMans twice?

Honestly, how many would pick a light blue, non-metallic color if it were not for John Wyer having picked it and used the Gulf orange for accent? Be honest now...

And this is only for my own entertainment, no one will be ridiculed regardless of how lame the answer is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am sure people would paint their cars Gulf colours regardless, just as people use essex wire colours, or those used on the mkIIs.
As much as I like the Gulf look I won't paint my car those colours. It is the most recognised and copied colour, and as such means most people immediately assume you have a copy of the original.

I do plan to have my car painted to replicate an original car, but not saying which one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think that the Gulf colors are the most recognizable combination for the car that the public relates to. But for me, just like the Blue / White stripe on a Cobra, there would simply be too many look-alikes for me - Variety is good even when you are build a "replica" of a world class car.

Just my 0.02 worth (and since it's in US$ it's even less!).

Mine is going to be Gulf. I would never paint it any other color. Most people think of the Gulf livery when they think of a GT40!

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Because my wife picked them (and she knows nothing about LeMans). Who am I to argue if she's not complaining about yet another car. OK, I like the combo too, but only since I saw them on a 917 in 1970 when I was 10 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The UGLIEST color combination on the plant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good thing UPS didn't sponcer the GT40s, we all would be painting our GTs that "lovely Brown/shi$%^ Livery". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cool sites - www.ppgcarpaint.com www.autocolorlibrary.com

It's been done so many times that I'm actually getting tired of looking at that scheme but that's probably because I know it so well. I'm sure the other 99% of the people out there who've never heard of a GT40 are wow'd by it but... (no offence, to each his own).

There are so many unique, period correct 1960's Ford & Shelby color codes, that it's a shame we don't see more painted in those schemes. I'm now undecided what colors to use after reviewing many of the 60's Ford swatches...

Chris

OK...this issue truly irked me...and now you've gone
and reminded me again.

WHY DID SPF PAINT THEIR MK II SUCH A DULL COLOR ? (sorry Hersch)
With all the striking colors the MK IIs were painted...
the car ar Carlisle, while beautifully done, missed
a chance to scream HEY !!!! I just arrived from 1966.

We now return to our regularly scheduled debate...

MikeD

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am somewhat surprised by the poll results, I had bet a friend (I do pay him to hold that title) that the Gulf Yeas would have been over 50%. That it is less than 30% is a real shock to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

And those who chose Plum Crazy perhaps might really prefer GoMango.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just to support my vote for the Gulf colours, my 40 was already in the paint job when I bought it, but it was my favourite at the time anyway. If I had a choice now (with a bare shell),it would be in one of the blue "Chameleon" type colours.
Cheers
Murray

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Faili,

OK, you convinced me. I think it's time to call up Hershal and change my order!

Al

Attachments

• 65421-brown.jpg
    65421-brown.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,372
Hey Al,

This actualy looks interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
WE WANNA RACE THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rick (starting to get scared...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Gotta love photoshop!

Ron Earp

Admin
It really does look interesting Faili, at least more so than the standard Gulf colors - IMHO - don't want anyone to think I don't like them, you just see them a lot and different is good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I agree with Mike, why did SPF go with silver/black, while good, certainly doesn't recall any of the famous MKII cars from the 60s. Wow, there are some really nice schemes to choose from! There are a lot of good color schemes, another favorite of mine is the Essex Wire combination and that is how I painted my Jensen Healey race car. Too many good ones out there to simply "go Gulf" IMHO and definitely too many to simply do a solid color only as I've seen a lot of cars recently up for auction/sale. But, to each his own and that is the beauty of it, at least we're not limited to a few colors that Ford chooses to produce!

Like women,houses,cars,bikes and other things of interest, to each his own. I don't know what color I'm doing for sure. Ron what is your RF going to be ?

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Rick,

I'm one of 13.38% that clicked on the Gulf colours. It wasn't my first choice, nor would I consider it for my own car but for being in the business.

We've done a couple of Gulf cars now and had the pleasure of demanding owners to satisfy. I fought Angelo on the racing numbers for over a year, wanting to avoid "imperial entaglements" however the police have left us well alone (knock on wood). So that was 1075, when John asked us to do 1076 and insisted on the correct centre stripe on the nose, I thought, hmmmm folks might think it's incorrect. I was the one who was incorrect, loads of people knew about the different front end paint schemes designed to make it easier to identify whos coming in the pits (poor chaps, no radio, no telemtry, no drink bottle!).

So I agree that it's been said the Gulf colours on GT40s are like the standard Dark Blue with White Stripes on Cobras. In that regard you'd have a safe bet that over 50% of Cobras are those colours.

Since I have commercial intrest in the GT40, it's more complicated than just choosing from so many great original schemes, why ignore the obvious? The Gulf racing colours, repleat with roundels, numbers, black out headlight doors etc. just screams GT40.

This winter CAV Canada will be building up a demonstator, so this becomes an even more important question. Along with what engine, transaxle, induction, left or right hand drive, Gulf rear wheel arches, Gurney bubble, Smiths or VDO gauges, jeeze I'm feeling like my own customer!

I will admit to being very partial to the light metalic green on the 2005 Mustangs, that would be fantastic with white stripes, how commercial would that be?

Interesting poll though, be good to hear more chime in on what they would do...

Cheers

Attachments

• 65451-CAVShopSept05c.jpg
    65451-CAVShopSept05c.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,450

Ron Earp

Admin
Dan, I'm going to do a 1025 sort of scheme with yellow body, twin black stripes, and blackouts on all the trim. There are a couple running around like that but it is what I have wanted for four years.

Ian, make it right hand drive and keep people guessing. Those left hookers with center shift gives away a replica quickly no matter what the color scheme!

MKIV with gulf colors,,,,,AHHHHHHHH CAN UGLY BECOME UGLIER? Ohhh YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hey Ian - what does the MTO think of the numbers - I thought that they were frowned upon? Did Angelo have them painted or did he use the vinyl film, which looks great (2.1 mil type)?

Chris

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
OK Chris & Ian, now you've got me wondering. Why would MTO car about vehicle graphics? Surely they're not worried people will confuse it with a police car—if they were, you wouldn't be able to rent a white Impala!

Ian, please make the demo traditional gulf colours. They look great on a classic GT40 and people need to see more of that—especially considering how awefull that scheme looks on the new Ford GT.

Back