Gulf colors.....Why?

Why indeed

As you will all be aware from my postings on the re-painting of 1080, I am of the opinion that preserving the providence of a car is by far more important than than pretending it is something that it is not. I must say that I don't actually like the paint scheme of 1080 that much, but it is more important to me to preserve it's history rather than attempting to falsify it.

For replica owners, I would challenge you to come up with something original which is unique to your car so that you have a chance of creating your own history and value rather than just being a me too and following the pack.

Re: Why indeed

I humbly agree. I think If you own an original, then by all means you should keep it the way it was.

For us "fakers", that UPS color scheme is becoming more and more interesting now.

BTW, would anyone paint their bicylce Blue and Orange? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Chris, Mark, fellow Beaver Tails...

I understand there is legislation on the books and as such racing numbers were kept off street registered cars driven to and from track events, such as the Honda/Michelin and GM/Camarao/Firebird series that ran years ago in Ontario.

In my experience most cops are car guys and if you drive your LBM -Land Based Missle responsibly they will leave you alone.

Now I did meet a rather unsporting trooper in Indiana who picked my Miata out of traffic, at night (and beside a UPS truck). Hands me a ticket for 72 in 55, and says "we don't see many of these around here", thank you officer. Hey the last sign I saw was 65, come over the rise in the road, traveling with traffic and Pow! No front plate on the Miata either:)

Ron, I'm with you on the Right Hand Drive...

Gary, owning an original car and preserving the original colour schemes like your 1080 is wonderfull.

We know several of the originals have been resprayed to suit the current owner. Genie or Repro, it's all up to who's paying for the paint.

I'm thinking about 1037, a Canadian car, finished in white with green stripes and distinctive deep grille openning. Besides the original Comstock team driver Eppie Weitzes and team manager Paul Cook would be grinning ear to ear to drive it again!

Attachments

• 65545-1037Westwood.jpg
    65545-1037Westwood.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 667

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
My "problem" is that I do like the color combination and even recall painting an Estes model rocket orange and light blue when I was younger. Perhaps I'm color blind, the sky is purple right? Also, as a graduate of U of I (blue/orange) I'm locked in. I do however agree with 1080 in making your replica different to create your own history. My (very small) contribution to this suggestion will be not running any historic numbers, but rather a "T" in the roundels. That's "T" as in Test, Track or for certain F1 teams, Tea (for resting your tea cup on). Also, my wife's first name starts with a T.

One last thing, if my next car happens to be a 917 replica guess what color it will be? No, not brown and gold :)

Best Regards,

Al

As Al points out...not only did John Wyer immortalize
the Gulf colors by winning Lemans in 1968/1969...
he won many races (except Lemans) with the 917 Gulf livery
in 1970/1971. And of course Steve Mcqueen put the icing
on the cake with his film which will be seen eternally on TV
and on video players around the world.

Its understandable that so many replicas are painted in Gulf colors. They will always attract a bigger crowd.
But for those of us who have already spent way too much
time lusting over the GT40, seeing more cars painted each year in Gulf is a lot like more blue Cobras appearing on the
scene. I guess you become a little jaded over time.

MikeD

At the end of the day, it is what YOU want to get out of it.
I personaly love this color on GT40 and 917 regardless of color or authenticity.
BTW: If another color is to hide the replica version, it is not consistent with yourself...again a personal opinion.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Rick,

Now the purple pig, that's an idea I like. Just in case it would clash with my UPS RF40, I'm considering the super secret Green Eggs and Ham option that is not (yet) officially on the RF upgrade list :)

I really do like the finned pig (which makes it look like a long tail/langheck, but I don't think it is) and have been looking for a slot car version until funds allow a real (read as "actual replica") version!

Best Regards,

Al

Pork, "the other white, pink or whatever color meat"...

Attachments

• 65608-the-pig.jpg
    65608-the-pig.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 627

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Nice lavender. Plain it is not.

65608-the-pig.jpg

I can see this with dayglo lime green wheels and bright blue stripes.

Or how about dark purple with porsche blue stripes and lime green wheels on one side and red wheels on the other. If you don't like the wheel color go to the other side of the car. It's ok because you can never see both colors of wheels at once.

Attachments

• 65618-GASMDL.jpg
    65618-GASMDL.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 616
Al H & Kalun,

I love these colors. And, I am not kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
An asymmetrical paint job would be cool. I was watching one of the recent F1 races on Speed (Channel) and one of the announcers mentioned that there was (is?) a rule that requires all team cars to have the same livery. This apparently presented a problem as one of the teams had two major sponsors that had very different ideas about color etc.

So they started with two cars with different colors and ended up having to paint the two cars identically with scheme A on one side and scheme B on the other of both cars to comply.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Hey guy chassis 1036 is awsome in gulf colors. Look it up! Punch in gt40 1036 and check it out!

gurdsmann blue and wimbelton white.

When I was a kid I was an F1 fan...and I remember "country colors"...(like the US of A's racing colors were blue and white===I think the body color was white and the stripes were blue)..Personally I like white with blue stripes or blue with white stripes. Just an opinion and an observation.

I am with Sammies choice of white body, blue stripes but would add a Matt blue bonnet. Although not exactly the same as the 1964 prototype which had black sill stripes. Although I have no forty I must admit to being pleased with the variety of colours especially in the replica community. Gone are the days when most of the cars were plain red or red with a white stripe this played havoc in the 1980's when you were trying to identify the cars using monochrome photography!! Not trying to be smart but Gulf colours Powder blue PO30-8013 and Marigold PO30-3393 are not true gulf colours. They were taken from the Wiltshire Oil company that Gulf acquired and used because they were more attractive, than the dark blue and orange of Gulf (although I have read the dark blue and orange was Gulf's european colour scheme). When Grady Davis lent his own forty P1049 to JWA for the Daytona and Sebring races in 1967 because the Mirage M1's were not ready was the Diamond mettallic blue with an orange stripe the first true Gulf colours!!!
Regards Allan

Last edited:
I'm with Sammie and Allan - my '40 is going to be white with blue stripes. Possibly a pearl white, depending on what facilities I have available when I paint the car. The previous owner of my kit was set on the dark-blue (also McLaren colors) Gulf scheme...that would be my next choice. I just can't get past the powder blue color on most of the Gulf cars.

BTW, what the hell kind of powder would be that shade of blue?

Back