Carbon crossram intake for Alex...and others

I have been working with a friend of mine ..(ex Katech) Performance Design...and we have machined some parts for his new intake system
Alex has been asking me to make some custom parts to accomodate one...well we test fitted a unit last week...

We knew we would have to make a custom rear cowl/window/screen etc ...so now we have something to work with...

Attachments

• 110721 Newman SD780 136.jpg
    110721 Newman SD780 136.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 821
  • 110721 Newman SD780 147.jpg
    110721 Newman SD780 147.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 767
  • 110721 Newman SD780 128.jpg
    110721 Newman SD780 128.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 725
  • 110721 Newman SD780 129.jpg
    110721 Newman SD780 129.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 761
That's eye candy for sure!

Can't wait to see the rear treatment for this intake.

Forget the eye-candy portion, I'm using it so I don't have to relocate the oil pressure sender.

Alexisisisisiisisis, finding the most expensive way to re-invent the wheel :stunned:

Oh yea, also using it because it's basically built for my type of engine - large cubes, mega horsepower, "low" rpm redline (6500ish). Plus it's nested so it will fit right ontop of my tall deck. Net effect is height increase of about ~.3'' or so ....... if I raped my engine with a fast I'd have to tack on 2.5'' extra (due to the spacers needed)

Unless something major changes...yes.

Nothing quite like having them inches from your head to replicate an F1 experience, lol.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
That is dead sexy! Looks a bit tall for my 07 Z06, guess I'd have to stick with a LSXr intake. Off topic I know.

Not a chance with either of the rear clip options at this point.
That intake setup does look good in there though and I'm eager to see the solution to accommodate it.

Chop open rear aluminum firewall for tbs; custom window

There done. Now that I've done the big dog engineering I'll let Fran/Caleb take over the rest :cool:

The plan is to "bubble" the rear window area.....just need the customer to pull his short arm out of his long pocket and purchase eaither part of the set up.....whistle!!!!

The plan is to "bubble" the rear window area.....just need the customer to pull his short arm out of his long pocket and purchase eaither part of the set up.....whistle!!!!

Customer first needs to have his engine in hand to verify Caleb's fitment.....hopefully another month or two now that the heads issue has been sorted out.

His modeling says the increase in height from the tall deck should not impact the overal fitment too much (given the height increase is at the V, so it's not just straight up and down), so we'll see.

I've also been trying to see if it's possible to do something fairly one-off, like necking down the plenums where they sneak under the center section of the body (as my concern is the height increase of the tall deck might push it too high) ... obviously one-off is $$$$$, but if it's not too too much $$$$$ that may be the way to go (and then demand royalties for every other slc owner that tries to copy that approach, hehehehehe)

Purely out of interest, what is the theory behind an intake like that? I mean the cross-flow design? I am guessing it straightens and therfore speeds up the airflow into the engine?

Purely out of interest, what is the theory behind an intake like that? I mean the cross-flow design? I am guessing it straightens and therfore speeds up the airflow into the engine?

My understanding is that an air column behaves more like a liquid when moving at the speed and resulting compression that occurs during the cylinder filling event. The intake manifold attempts to utilize and optimize that effect for a specific RPM band by allowing the air column to develop momentum in its movement into the cylinder. This momentum helps deliver and compress a larger slug of air into the cylinder than would otherwise occur.

Last edited:

The cross-flow design capitalizes on available real-estate going across the engine while still being relatively compact height-wise, allows for greater volume due to longer runners with fewer turns/curves vs a 45* turn at the cylinder head then straight up as per Ferrari.

There can also be an added benefit of ram effect with a separate plenum per bank due to added volume, but this is mostly a moot point if there is no relative straight shot from an outside air-scoop to the throttle bodies...

Same intake?:

INTAKE MANIFOLDS

Not the option for individual throttle bodies.... an area which I don't understand.

Can the ones Alex is getting not be made even lower with a greater bend in the runners so the plenums are almost sitting virtually flat on the valve covers?

Same intake?:

INTAKE MANIFOLDS

Not the option for individual throttle bodies.... an area which I don't understand.

Can the ones Alex is getting not be made even lower with a greater bend in the runners so the plenums are almost sitting virtually flat on the valve covers?

Different one - I tried several times to just get a price quote from Ozomo, and not 1 peep or replied email. That's enough for me not to pursue it ... Caleb on the other hand has perfect communciation.

Also, on ls1tech apparently he had some problems with expansion of the aluminum block causing them to crack? The solution was "more epoxy" :/ ....... I don't know if he's fixed that problem or not.

In terms of bending the runners, don't believe so - according to Caleb it would interfere with the fuel rails, plus that would be a one off and $$$$ to change the molds.

The good news is that since a tall deck pushes out at a 45* angle (and not up), my fitment should be nearly identical to that of the standard deck. Of course there's other issues one will have to address (i.e., moving roll bars, ensuring throttle bodies don't foul w/ roll cage, custom air intake plenum, etc...)

Back