16 weeks to go...

Anybody have some good street tire suggestions? I've been looking and there's a fairly large gap in price between what I would think are fairly competitive brands. Is there a large gap in quality as well? Nitto Invo's are by far the lowest cost option. Any opinions on those?

First of all congratulations ! I to have been waiting patiently for mine to arrive as well, ordered in Sept and I am hoping it won't be long now. What I have found is every time you get looking though this forum the more options you will find available that you may not have known about and you keep adding to your want list, lol. My only regret is not taken the trip down to see Fran and nailed down exactly what I wanted right at the get go it would have save a ton of time and Fran wouldn't cringe when he see's my name on the phone LOL. But from I have seen and read if you looking for true bad ass car this is the best bang for the buck.

as for your tire or tyre delema lol,
No matter what, your are going to want a very good Z rated or higher I have had my tires delaminate at 120 mph made hell of a mess, and as sticky as you can get with that kind of HP or you won't be driving the car, it will be driving car you.
You may have to change them often, but its not worth taking any chances.
Tires are the most important thing you will buy for your car.
Learn't that one the hard way didn't cost me my car just a pair of underwear.
one more big tip watch the air pressure 10 lbs differance in soft tires can cost you a car. You should have seen that one, My friend Gord will never be the same lol.

Last edited:
Thanks Grant...I'll definitely do my research. Don't need too many ruined pairs of underwear!

Congrats on your SL-C too. Post pics when it arrives...

Ken Roberts

Supporter
How are you getting the car shipped back to you Grant? I take delivery of mine hopefully the end of May.

slc4yos I ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires. I read up about them on the Corvette Forum. They are a good wearing and fairly quiet tire compared to the Goodyears. The only road tire rated better is the Michelins. Fran also had them installed on his Hugger Orange SLC.

Thanks...I'll look into the Bridgstone's

I ordered mine in the beginning of January. Not sure when I'll have it, but I'm trying to nail down all my parts early for what'll hopefully be a quick build... :burnout:

Hmmmmmm street tyre ay? Id just forget the whole 'street' tyre thing and drive around on semi slicks. I do in my other HP cars. Theres not really a street tyre around thats gonna hold down an LS9 in such a light car.

I use cheapo falken RT615 semi comps for street stuff and second hand slicks for track days. (new shaved michelins for 'special' track days) Driving in the wet sucks, but its gonna suck just as much in street tyres. The thing with the RT615's is that they have some low temp grip, and some wet weather grooving. Anything more 'comp' like AO48s (or whatever has replaced them) and you start to get really toey on water and cold bitumen.

Some Nitto 555R's might hold you down. I guess it depends how you want to drive on the street. I live in a remote place with long, long, loooooong stretches of unmanned highways and twisty out-of-the-way backroads. So I guess im in a place where I can make the most of it. No city driving for me (Darwin has no 'city' )

How are you getting the car shipped back to you Grant? I take delivery of mine hopefully the end of May.

slc4yos I ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires. I read up about them on the Corvette Forum. They are a good wearing and fairly quiet tire compared to the Goodyears. The only road tire rated better is the Michelins. Fran also had them installed on his Hugger Orange SLC.

That's what I ordered for mine too. Also, not "too" expensive, though It still ran me $1,600 for the set.

Thanks for all the tire help. Or should I say tyre... :laugh:

I've got another question for the forum. Does anyone know which A/C from vintage air is coming with the kits these days? Also which AC control set-up? Is it just the simple two knob vintage air style?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for all the tire help. Or should I say tyre... :laugh:

I've got another question for the forum. Does anyone know which A/C from vintage air is coming with the kits these days? Also which AC control set-up? Is it just the simple two knob vintage air style?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I thik you get the standard underdash knob package. i want to say it has 4 knobs though. vintage has some other billet optiosn. uh oh, budget killers.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg43wc.pdf

Hey guys...Just wanted to share what I've been working on lately. I just can't wait to get started on this car! :burnout:

This is pretty much the final version of what I'm planning to do exterior wise....

web1m.jpg

You're right...this thing won't easily be misplaced! I'm really glad I got to see the race car in person. There's no way I would have gone with green other wise. Not sure if you remember, but I was dead set on red before I got there...

I'm excited beyond words Fran...

Any body have any opinions or knowledge on the racelogic TC systems?

Also...a good vendor to purchase from?

Any body have any opinions or knowledge on the racelogic TC systems?

Also...a good vendor to purchase from?

We use it successfully on the 01 car. Personally, I think it is really important in a car like this, to reduce risk, maximize acceleration, etc. Ryan was dialing it up and down based on conditions in different corners during the National Championship race in the rain. :)

My personal SLC has it. I think Fran may sell them or can direct you to where they can be obtained. Several of us bought them in a group buy a while ago on the BMW forums (they like them as well).

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I just received mine from the second group buy that just ended on the BMW forum. I think he is about to do another group buy. PM me and I can give you the organizers email and phone contact info.

Back