16 weeks to go...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, and tell everyone how excited I am to be a future SL-C owner! I first saw this car online years ago and I remember immediately sending my brother an e-mail because this car was all me. The looks alone had me drooling, but the chassis pics sealed the deal...I wanted one...bad.

Fast forward to a few months ago...Out of the blue I started thinking about the SL-C again. I just couldn't shake it. So, I got back online and started my research again. Thank god for the internet. After looking at everything I could find, and stalking this forum for a while; I gave Fran a call. The next week I was on my way to Detroit!

Up until then I was still on the fence, although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't leaning heavily towards buying. This is a huge purchase for an uneducated 32 year old construction worker, so I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing! Well...any of you who have visited the shop and met Fran, Vicki, and the rest of the guys know exactly what decision I came to. The beauty, precision, quality, and workmanship in that shop are second to none. It was impossible for a guy like me to say no...

I'm too excited for words. I can't wait to get started on this project, and I want to thank all of you guys in advance for all of the help I'm sure I'll need. Hopefully I can contribute a bit too.

Yos

200 mph soon...

:chug: :bow: I envy you man. Welcome to the Forum and have a great time. Its going to be a little while before I get mine. I am buying a new house with a shop and lift first to house my toys. Should be moving in this summer so maybe this time next year I will join you guys

Yos.

pleasure having you both come by....

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your build.

Your jetboat is very cool and your level of detail is excellent , so I am sure your SL-C will be a stunner too.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Welcome to the brother and sisterhood. Feel free to contact me anytime. I allways love to talk to people on this forum. Any help I can provide, I will. PM me and I send back Ph#.

Howard

Welcome Yos, and congrats on your purchase. Almost a year later and I still get that giddy feeling looking at the SLC chassis while I'm working on the build. Post up pix of your jetboat. We are all gearheads here.

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome! I'm glad I found this place :thumbsup: I was even fortunate enough to talk to Jack on the phone today about his build.

Fran...Jessica and I had a great time in Detroit. Who knows...maybe she'll be ordering her "pink" race car one day. Save, save save...

Here's a couple jetboat pics for you Stage7...

It's still in progress, but will be done to make room for the SL-C!

Thanks again!

Float test...

imag0711.jpg

Motor...

imag1113.jpg

Interior...

imag1046k.jpg

Dash...

imag1343.jpg

Yos, congrats, welcome. Would that boat pull your arms off if you're skiing behind it?

What drivetrain are you using? What color did you get?

Thanks Cam.

If arms get pulled off....I've met my performance goals :D

I'm definitely going with an ls3 for power. I've got it narrowed down to four crate engine choices ranging from 525-665 horsepower. Right now I'm favoring a 600hp 416ci ls3 from sps. The 525hp motor from GM is a great deal and confuses things a bit, but I really think I'm going to stay @ 600+.

Fran told me he'd help me locate a Porsche transaxle capable of handling the hp and tq. Hopefully with taller gears as well. Getting comfortably over 200mph is a must with this one.

He also said I've got 4 weeks to lock in my color. I'd like to see the new orange, but I'm most likely going with the bright green. Love it.

Hey Yos,
Did you know the LS376/480 will make the 525HP with a cam change (only difference).
Lot's less expensive than the LS525 crate engine. Only $$$ though!

Thanks Jack, but I only thought I knew what I was doing about an engine! Fran planted a seed in my head that won't go away! :drunk:

Fortunately for the SL-C build...my intelligent, and rational personality stayed in bed this morning. When I talked to Fran today...he got the irresponsible, care free HP junkie on the other end of the line. Feels like my inner crack-head pawned the TV again.... :cry:

LS9 it is!!!
:pepper:

Fortunately for the SL-C build...my intelligent, and rational personality stayed in bed this morning. When I talked to Fran today...he got the irresponsible, care free HP junkie on the other end of the line. Feels like my inner crack-head pawned the TV again.... :cry:

LS9 it is!!!
:pepper:

I think an NRE TT motor would be EVEN more "care-free HP junkie-esque"...
:thumbsup:

100_0563.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't know what NRE's secret is, seemingly they build insanely powerful engines that are reasonable well mannered, 1000/2000/3000bhp engines. Just insane.

Congrats on the LS9, whilst I'm not sure if you are the first to do one in the SL-C you are the first one who is vocal on the forum so you know the rules, pics! :D

I watched a few Youtubes with NRE engines. I don't think it would be that hard to get a "mild" mannered car with 1000 or even 2000 HP. He uses big block engines to make that power.

The 2000HP Camaro has something like a 570ci engine. that's around 8.5 liters. So with turbos you are looking at a little over 200HP per liter. Yes, a tall demand, but easily done with today's technology. You figure with the displacement it would spool up two say,,, GT45 turbos pretty easily.

Also with that much displacement, you can put in some mildly radical cams,, and it will be less lopey than something with a smaller displacement.

I'd love to have a couple thousand HP of bragging rights for sure...but I think traction would be impossible. I'm not sure an SL-C would look so good with 33" Mickey Thompson's out back! :D

I will definitely post pictures when the car gets here

Dean Lampe had posted the crate LS9 he was going to use in his SLC for sale on the forum, looked like he priced it aggressively.

NRE Makes some sweet engines for sure.

Back