1600cc vw engine in my kellison gt question!

Darnel A.

Supporter
hey guys thanks for the advice, sorry i havent been on this for a few days i have been trying to work out a deal with the kellison:huh:...I would like to put a v8 in it but then again I cant find a good price on anything that i can afford. I have all winter to think about what i should put in there. the body on the car is really bad, uneven cuts, random holes and rusted hindges. Focusing on getting the body back to shape is my first priority, after that i have to work on the floor boards which are rusted beyond belief...I'm having trouble upload the pictures but i will get on that asap!!

You would do much better just building a square tube chassis. Noting fancy, a perimeter frame, 2x6 tubes and bolt the VW front axle to it.

Darnel

Mattry,

I think I still have a set of the Mid-Engineering chassis plans.
They were used under the Kelmark body's and other's as well.
Should fit under the Kellison with out much problem.
Designed with the VW front end, and late model Corvair rear.
The set I have are for a small block Chev to Corvair transaxle.
Would be a fairly easy build, and not expencive either.
Won't be any big time race car,
but would most likely do ok on the street with out blowing the budget.
Unless you pop the clutch to hard !
And you can always use a differant eng/transaxle ?
Well, It's a thought !
You can PM me if you like.

Cheer's, Curtis

heres some pictures! just found the site that hosts pictures. i have more coming

DSCN1197[2].JPG" target="_blank">
<a href=
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0420083caf4e5a255367185af717c5392g.jpg" border="0" alt="Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire">

DSCN1205[1].JPG" target="_blank">
<a href=
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/2206ae6faca97efd0ea38b3d89e798ec2g.jpg" border="0" alt="Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire">

DSCN1237[1].JPG" target="_blank">
<a href=
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7adf1997ef2c04f0dd6bb62cd0a75a822g.jpg" border="0" alt="Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire">

DSCN1240[1].JPG" target="_blank">
<a href=
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/24887c85fbc3a4f614384a453406ce4d2g.jpg" border="0" alt="Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire">

As Mike is suggesting, that 1600cc motor can be stroked to almost 2200cc with a basic kit. And, with good ignition and dual weber 40s she can easily hit 150-160 usable hp (good torque), maybe 170. There are even turbo charging systems available for that engine using a pressurized weber that can exceed 200hp. Parts are cheap and the car is a whole lot lighter with that and a simple VW/porsche 914 transaxle. Perhaps check out one of the VW forums - lots of smart guys there with good ideas.

cliff thats what I was thinking about doing, turbo for sure, I went on that vw forum and found a guy here in michigan that would be able to basically build the engine up and find me a good trans to handle to the power. he told me with the right stuff I can hit around 250hp, which is not bad at all. I want the torque for the wide tires I will be putting on it

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mattry, $960 is what I paid for the 96 WRX motor with twin sequential turbos and transaxle, clutch, alternator, pwr steering pump, ac compressor the whole 9 yards, all you would need is a ECU and wire it up. I did was change all the belts, the motor only had 40k miles but thats worth doing before you install one. That motor stock 10 lbs of boost makes 250 HP. If you not wanting to spend a lot of money I don't know how you can beat a subie. The are all over ebay on the JDM importers auctions.

Mattry, $960 is what I paid for the 96 WRX motor with twin sequential turbos and transaxle, clutch, alternator, pwr steering pump, ac compressor the whole 9 yards, all you would need is a ECU and wire it up. I did was change all the belts, the motor only had 40k miles but thats worth doing before you install one. That motor stock 10 lbs of boost makes 250 HP. If you not wanting to spend a lot of money I don't know how you can beat a subie. The are all over ebay on the JDM importers auctions.

I found one on craiglist, would this work?
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX for parts
Also, if I do end up going with what you did, how would I set it up? do you have any pictures of yours? frame building to support it, etc?...Thanks for all your help!!

Back